GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+6
79treemaster
383Falcon
Sweet Seventy9
solo79
GM B-Body Forum
Myloth
10 posters

79 you have seen before

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

79 you have seen before  Empty 79 you have seen before

Post  Myloth Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:41 am

79 you have seen before  <a href=79 you have seen before  Th_DSC01088" />

I believe a moderator here was the former owner as I only registered the IMP a few days ago

I have always been a fan of box Chevys my sister had 78' Malibu Wagon (305 powered

again) and later a sweet rust free 78' Lesabre (Pontiac 301 Not so sweet but ..) 4 door that her ex junked on her (sigh)

when he was supposed to fix it.

I have wanted another 70s car for a loooooooooooooong time

This 79' is great except the drivetrain 305s aren't the most inspiring motors and good grief a former owner put on 15x10

rally rims with 295/50/15s! Tire chirping at this point is out of the question but it rides quite well.

I am far from a purist having never ever drove an unmodified vehicle in my life and my intent with this one

is for some chassis restoration,drivetrain replacement[300rwp min] and Body work. In that order I think as frame off is

not in the budget and rust is at minimum love that Duracoat. Great forum glad it is here.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

79 you have seen before  Empty Re: 79 you have seen before

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:17 am

Hey welcome to the forum, i do believe that car used to belong to Sweet Seventy9. Hope those 295's are getting that 305 to hook lol! 
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Welcome aboard!! Yep, that's Sweet's former car from what I can tell. It's a nice car and it's great to see it found a good home!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:25 am

Yes it is quite nice I have already had quite a few admirers. The drivetrain is underwhelming though(sorry but this is one of the slower cars I've owned in league with a 82' Iron Duke powered Citation and an 84' GLH) though I think Sweet had plans for 454  but I think one can do better with a SBC these days 454s unless they are built for speed are just torque monsters better for trucks and boats. Hey do these 79's come with Panhard bars on the rear(Looks like one to me)?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:38 am

Myloth wrote:<snip>79 you have seen before  <a href=79 you have seen before  Th_DSC01088" />

I believe a moderator here was the former owner as I only registered the IMP a few days ago
    Welcome to the forum!  I'm gonna have to change my avatar now, lol!
    I saw the ad was taken off and was wondering who bought it.  I was the 2nd owner and owned it for, idk, 8 years or so.  I sold it to Tony back in October of last year.  If you have any questions about it, feel free to contact me.  

GM B-Body Forum wrote:<snip> Hope those 295's are getting that 305 to hook lol! 
    LOL!!  I never once smoked the tires off the line!  Laughing Bro, that made me laugh so hard I almost fell out of my chair!

Myloth wrote:<snip> Hey do these 79's come with Panhard bars on the rear(Looks like one to me)?
    That's a negative.  The GM B-bodies use a 4 arm (not to be confused with a 4 link, they're different) rear suspension which holds the diff/axles in the proper position.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:35 pm

Ok I was looking at it and now see it's the link with sway under the axle. I was just looking at a panhard on a truck the

other day and that's probably why I mixed them.

Well hey I went today and spun that passenger tire pretty hard in the rain . Actually I will have follow up on the

drivetrain as today I went yard hunting, seen a 71 Imp in the ground with a 307 in it and a Dodge Half track headed for

Viriginia.

At different place was a donor Imapala 4 bolt main 350 that's supposed to run well, I will know tomorrow .....
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:47 pm

Still waiting to check that as the yard had it's own Encon issues today. A common problem these days is too many tires

and Encon doesn't want a mass buildup at these recyclers this place had to lose 800 tires that day. He said tomorrow and

in the interim a man at the drug store offered me 2k for the Imp, I told him if it was 5k I'd said no so don't feel bad. Some

of the cars I've seen past few days though wow old Fords , Dodges and GM even few Biscaynes all laying in the dirt or

under trees very old cars though from 40s to the 60s. I did look at the car again I'm afraid restoring that 72' would be a

small miracle but that drivetrain looks pretty good no peel of the paint and minimal rust. Of course I feel foolish I didn't take

pics next time I'm there I will snap few GMs.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Myloth wrote:<snip> Still waiting to check that as the yard had it's own Encon issues today.

What yards are you hitting up?
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 pm

I was over one I know in Greenfield Cornells(mostly newer) and Combs over near me in Queensbury and Clarks also.

Combs has a lot of older cars but I guess Combs the owner is not doing good and they are removing much of the old cars.

Although the guy there said quite a bit of the good stuff was staying. They were the ones had the Dodge Half Track,

Impala and some other grounded (sunk) classics. I found a guy who has a G body 8.5 rear with 3.42s and says he can weld

the upper arms to fit I think that is the main issue with a G body rear.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:15 pm

I was wondering because once DEC shows up, it's only a matter of time before the yard closes. I try to stay on top of whos still open and whos closed.
    I have access to a bunch of 9C1s. One rear end has 3.42 gears and they're all a direct bolt-in. LMK if you're interested.
    B-Body did a write up here of his swap. It's worth checking out.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Sorry for slow reply been busy. I went to 6 yards up here and most of the old they have is really old stuff (pre 75').

I actually asked everyone if any have any old Caprices or Impala stuff and came up with nothing for the most part.

Because it's not old old (classic in their mind) they don't save anything anymore that's not post 2000 it seems unless it's

a truck or a van maybe. And few of them seem like the DEC is leaning on them to clean up their act pretty hard

especially the tires. I think the state is afraid of getting stuck with a plot of land with 15,000 tires on it at some point in

the future.Seems lot of things are hard to find these days I be damned if I could find a decent muffler shop in this area

all there is are the usual crooked chains Monro, Meinekee and Midas.

I had to cut out the tailpipe in the meantime as old

Glasspack had rotted right through the neck. So went to Auto Zone and tossed a new Glasspack on and blew it out

passenger side for now. Surprisingly not loud but factory manifolds suppress the sound anyway, just a tad of drone at

45mph. Still looking for motor as the 350 fell through I may go with a crate like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38313ct1/overview/ (notsure the brand though} to heck with it just means I

need a new rear and trans to go with it. Tomorrow I rebuild the steering as that's about the worst of what's left to do

chassis wise. (Well that and the front control arms but that's a story for another day)

I added the Monro severe duty shocks in rear and Gabriel Ultras in front (rides smooth) and replaced bushings on the

front sway(HUGE difference seemed to wobble before). Anyway it's coming along slowly but surely.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Nice!  Please keep us updated.

Tony didn't throw in the headders, huh?  I gave him a brand new set still in the box when he bought the car from me.  Jacks on Broadway in Schenectady, if they're still there, was the only respectable muffler shop I've ever known of.  You may want to see if they're still around, they're worth making the trip to.

I also gave Tony a pair of G-body bucket seats with B-body brackets already on them.  Any chance he gave you those?

If you're rebuilding the front suspension, have you considered swapping over to the 12" brake setup?  It's an easy swap.  And if you use 3rd Gen Camaro 1LE rotors you keep the 5x4.75 bolt/stud pattern.

If there's a particular part you can't find I might have it here still.  What I don't have I can usually get.
    Speaking of parts, I just got a perfect center speaker dash pad.  Not a single split, crack, or blemish on it.  They're VERY hard to find in this condition.  I'm gonna list it with my other parts soon and it'll go quick, so lmk if you want it.

I can save you a lot of time and money by being honest with you... your chances of finding good parts locally are pretty slim. Almost all the yards in the northeast contact me as soon as they get a 77-79 B-body in and I go strip off all the decent parts if there are any. Plus, I travel all over New Jersey, Penn., New England and Eastern Canada buying up all the parts available. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not being an asshole, I'm just being honest with you.

Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:46 am

No issue at all I was just casually asking my only interest in B-body would be others interest here and maybe a nice Impala or RM 10 bolt. I know Jack's I had them do quite a few exhausts going back years, but Schenectady is quite haul for me as I have other obligations that usually rule out day trips for that kind of thing. Not sure if they are in business last time I had dual done by them was in 07' on my old V8 SHO and they used to be listed but not anymore........

No I never heard anything about seats. My interest in yards was fairly generic not just GM B-body(ie. any old parts of interest). I was just surprised but I shouldn't I have heard that same song from other places about there not being money in it etc etc so they scrap a large portion of the vehicles. What one yard guy told me today is true, much of the everyday parts people used to buy there they buy online so there really isn't big money for the little guys anymore. Although JBAP up here does pretty well.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

I am thinking about redoing my lights with SMD leds maybe even few tricks( use to get some looks when I put a blinking 3rd

brake light in an old Chrysler not long after they just came out ). I will post more when I get into it, I have

used some of the LEDs with mixed results in the past(some too dimm others were good) I am reading the SMD Leds are

better and the videos I watched seem to confirm. My biggest complaint with vintage cars is vintage lighting no can do,

even the standard halogen replacements are just ok. Right now I am getting parts together but looking to start asap.

Anyone try the SMD leds yet any opinions or anyone using HIDs ?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:16 am

Ive done a full led conversion in my 79 caprice about 2 years ago and i love it, ive planned on putting hid's in but havent got around to retrofitting the 4x6 housings, your looking at about 4-500 bucks to do a retrofit the right way and not just slap in hids in a stock housing. We had a new vendor sign up today called superbrightleds.com and i guess it was just a coincidence that you mentioned leds lol, but they are the company i bought all my leds through, it cost me about $400 to do the conversion, and i had to do a few mods here and there, but forum members get a discount and i didnt have a discount back then. Ive been meaning to do a write up on my led conversion, so i need to do that sometime. SMD's are great leds but CREE leds are the rave now lol.
    Oh and here is the link to my rear end swap sweetseventy9 mention if you want to check that out https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t153-gm-85-10-bolt-swap-from-a-96-impala-ss
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I have done few in other cars but way cheaper I buy the eaby parts .Only had 1 bulb burn out on me in past as long as you use the

resistor those LEDs last. I never did finish that Camaro's lights though but the 05' Imp I was driving was like Xmas in July for a 100

dollars.

I just spent 70 dollars last night only thing it doesn't cover is the headlights which I will convert to HID

. I read that write up about the rear nice work indeed. Yes there are quite a few RM 10bolts around here but none posi  I may just

buy a non posi and have shop convert it as the non posi rears are around 100-200. And shop work and parts might run me 1200 but

that's lot cheaper than buying something like a strange 12 bolt or DANA and unless I plan running 600hp on slicks it should be ok.

Differentials worry me though I have killed about 5 in my time 2 Chryslers 8.25, 7.5 GM , 8.5 (very poor shape) and a front diff in

OMNI GLH and more than couple CVs.I may get a dana 60 and sleep better at night.(But they are so BIG)
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Dakota Digital LED tail lights - http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=331/mode=cat/cat331.htm
    No listing for 79 Impala but the 79 Caprice ones will work.

HID conversion kit - http://www.amazon.com/10000K-Bi-Xenon-H4651-Projector-Headlights/dp/B00D4FBJ8U
    Factory wiring will have to be replaced with heavier gauge wiring when converting to HIDs or the wires might melt.

There's still 4 or 5 posi rears at a yard near me. One has 3.73 gears, and is actually the one I was going to use when I owned your car.

I hope this helps.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Really sounds great 3.73 that from B Body or is it G body ? I am planning for a 200r4 and that would be nice combo

I think . Yea I really need some HIDs my eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be at night.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:21 pm

B-body of course, lol.  Except for a couple interior parts, and not counting the engine or trans, pretty much nothing from G-bodies fit our cars.

If you can get a 700R4, you'd be better off.  They're stronger, have a lower 1st gear, and are easy to find the appropriate drive shaft for.  Plus, you can bolt-up an Impala SS dual exhaust x-member to it.  

I googled "4x6 hid conversion" and found several different kits.  Some have Halos and some don't.  Some are complete with ballasts, while others aren't.  Just remember they draw a LOT more current and the factory 35yo wiring can't handle it.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Sweet is right. I had a HID conversion kit on my first Caprice for awhile with blue lights. I had to run them completely separately to relays and a switch with bigger wiring. The factory wiring couldn't handle it. It was a $400.00 kit at the time. I ended up going back to stock headlights a year later.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Well I haven't relied too much on the factory harness yet. I have run quite a but of new wire and I have a 130amp

alternator sitting in a box that will go in with new motor maybe sooner .... You are right though HIDs can be an

undertaking that I will have to take care with.Eventually I don't think much original wiring will be left ideally.

When I do these lights I plan to run some new wire and check every one for problems, compared to newer

cars it is pretty straight forward .

One thing about the 700r4 being stronger than a 200r4 (not a

th200m) . GM used the 200r4 in the 1987 GNX not exactly underpowered at 360ft-lb

torque. My personal experience is preferring the 200r4, the way it shifts from 1st to second is excellent, it's 1st

gear is not as low as the 700r4 but it is smooth. 200r4 need some upgrades just like the 700r4 however they can be

made to run 500hp easily and many feel it has a better gear spread than 700r4. I am not arguing one is better than the

other, just that a 200r4 is a very good choice for an overdrive Transmission.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:01 am

I myself prefer the 2004r over the 700r4, like you said it has a better 1st to 2nd gear change and it has a lower over drive gear, and some folks ive heard ran gnx's with a built 2004r in the 9's down the quarter, they have to be built right but they can handle power, and i cant remember if its the th350 or the th400 where it shares the same length and crossmember mount.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:50 am

I think there was a misunderstanding..... I'm not bashing the 2004r. It's simply easier and much less expensive to use a 700r4.

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:20 am

sweet seventy9 wrote:I think there was a misunderstanding..... I'm not bashing the 2004r. It's simply easier and much less expensive to use a 700r4.
    oh no, no i agree with you, the 700r4s are more common to find and much less expensive, i mean goodluck trying to find a 2004r core out in a yard somewhere and i think there was only 2 desirable years that gm had updated that tranny so even harder.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:46 pm

I agree it is easier to find 700r4 if you want a an almost ready to go tranny. I am thinking of a core to rebuild there are plenty of those

to be had don't forget the Cadillacs plenty of them had 200r4s. I like 200r4  as I used to have a 78 Cutlass with 350 and a 200r4 from

Fleetwood, that car I use to run high 13s for little money in mid 90s. No this car everything I am putting in is either new or

rebuilt , I plan to keep it for a long time.  It's either I have local shop rebuild a 200r4 (I found few for 200 local) or buy a built 200r4 for

under 2k I am not a fan of a short 1st gear the 200r4 reminds me of the AX4n in my old SHO almost same gear spacing  I found

that spacing perfect for myself.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm