GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+6
79treemaster
383Falcon
Sweet Seventy9
solo79
GM B-Body Forum
Myloth
10 posters

79 you have seen before

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Empty Re: 79 you have seen before

Post  Myloth Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

No hehe . Turns out that damn water pump went bad it fooled me because it was quiet when I disconnected the alternators.

I don't blame the pump entirely though I had some bad alignment going there because of the PS. And that will kill them pretty quick.

That radiator is a Summit I believe they go for around $125-150 I acquired it used from a guy parting out a 95' Imp SS.

Tomorrow I will go get a new PS and Water pump and be done I'm almost ready to spend $120 on a Weiand pump at NAPA.

Hmm that Weiand pump would really get people going though when they see that 305 and start insisting it's a 355 or 383 .
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Myloth wrote:No hehe . Turns out that damn water pump went bad it fooled me because it was quiet when I disconnected the alternators.

I don't blame the pump entirely though I had some bad alignment going there because of the PS. And that will kill them pretty quick.

That radiator is a Summit I believe they go for around $125-150 I acquired it used from a guy parting out a 95' Imp SS.

Tomorrow I will go get a new PS and Water pump and be done I'm almost ready to spend $120 on a Weiand pump at NAPA.

Hmm that Weiand pump would really get people going though when they see that 305 and start insisting it's a 355 or 383 .
    Spend it now or later
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Actually I had to spend it on the Power Steering pump at NAPA($50)

The PS pump is for a 72 Chevelle rather than 79 Impala as it's the most common aftermarket

and has tons of brackets and pulleys that fit right it's either this or go Serpentine but I just don't have time.

(or the purse) Those mid to late 70s GM PS brackets are pox upon the automotive realm I say!

I had very weird harmonics from my belts slipping and the PS pump knocking and vibrating so the water pump is ok !

I think the poor alignment I had toasted the PS pump badly but it was used anyway.

The new one will be my 3rd one so far but the first one not from a yard so ....

I think the other day was just a bad day for me and panic struck me. But I do have brand new

mounts for the PS pump so hopefully I won't have to purchase another anytime soon!
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power-Steering-Pump-Combo-10-AN-Fittings,33011.html?sku=91032913&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&catargetid=530009170000095656&cadevice=t&gclid=CjwKEAiA3Ou1BRDso5XyhduuwFASJABP3PEDWvdfTR1FWzpeY5KLBk0ki4N5jCi4fCJJMa64ak9qoxoCazbw_wcB
    Myloth wrote:Actually I had to spend it on the Power Steering pump at NAPA($50)

The PS pump is for a 72 Chevelle rather than 79 Impala as it's the most common aftermarket

and has tons of brackets and pulleys that fit right it's either this or go Serpentine but I just don't have time.

(or the purse) Those mid to late 70s GM PS brackets are pox upon the automotive realm I say!

I had very weird harmonics from my belts slipping and the PS pump knocking and vibrating so the water pump is ok !

I think the poor alignment I had toasted the PS pump badly but it was used anyway.

The new one will be my 3rd one so far but the first one not from a yard so ....

I think the other day was just a bad day for me and panic struck me. But I do have brand new

mounts for the PS pump so hopefully I won't have to purchase another anytime soon!

If it craps out again buy this. This is all we use on all our modifieds sweet is a old friend of my dads, we use these Unless were running alachol then we use the combo ps and fuel pump
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm

That's a thought if it does give me trouble though it's lifetime limited (for what that's worth) and Napa would

replace in within 30 days or more I'd hope. I am leery of Remans , I had a bear of a time with a 2005 Impala

I went through 3 reman pumps before I went to yard they all made noise out of the box and I followed proper

procedure for install. In this case though the pumps in the yards (If they have one) are ancient and many are dried up

finding a good one took me a while searching through a few hundred. GM had new ones available but the inventory

dried up can't find them anymore and I tried to find one. A lot of these store parts now though I have notice aren't all

remans but new. Not PS pumps (of course haha) but in the case of water pumps and other parts. Like Auto Zone sells a

Aluminum\Iron water pump for $60 that's a new part not a bad deal if the quality is there.
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:55 pm

Myloth wrote:That's a thought if it does give me trouble though it's lifetime limited (for what that's worth) and Napa would

replace in within 30 days or more I'd hope. I am leery of Remans , I had a bear of a time with a 2005 Impala

I went through 3 reman pumps before I went to yard they all made noise out of the box and I followed proper

procedure for install. In this case though the pumps in the yards (If they have one) are ancient and many are dried up

finding a good one took me a while searching through a few hundred. GM had new ones available but the inventory

dried up can't find them anymore and I tried to find one. A lot of these store parts now though I have notice aren't all

remans but new. Not PS pumps (of course haha) but in the case of water pumps and other parts. Like Auto Zone sells a

Aluminum\Iron water pump for $60 that's a new part not a bad deal if the quality is there.
    yeah theres alot of knock off stuff out therer. But if its got a warranty go for it
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 pm

I figure I'd post my final fix for the damn PS pump here. I bought this off ebay and it works better than anything else I've

tried so far.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 S-l16010

Alignment and tension are easy enough to achieve without going crazy.

Here's pics of it installed.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050056

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050060

It uses a block mount with two bolts going into the block which I like. This is solid and does not vibrate here's shots

where you can see the block bolts.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050061

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050057

Oh my goodness I am just glad it works and does not squeal what a PITA it was before.
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Myloth wrote:I figure I'd post my final fix for the damn PS pump here. I bought this off ebay and it works better than anything else I've

tried so far.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 S-l16010

Alignment and tension are easy enough to achieve without going crazy.

Here's pics of it installed.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050056

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050060

It uses a block mount with two bolts going into the block which I like. This is solid and does not vibrate here's shots

where you can see the block bolts.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050061

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Th_P3050057

Oh my goodness I am just glad it works and does not squeal what a PITA it was before.
    If it craps out put a electric water pump in
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Yeah that's the ticket electric water pump and a manual steering gear! I'll just have to do the Pro street skinnies up front!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:48 pm

I swear anything that I have not replaced myself seems to need replacing as soon as I go to do a minor task.

I replaced my pads (with recommended pads from the admin) and noticed a leak in the caliper and a torn hose so I

get new calipers and a hose. After bleeding no pedal at all surprise Sad. Turns out the master dudded out, so in the end

it practically a new front braking system by weekends end . I did do a nice 90ft panic after about 20 seating stops

though no screech or lockup so I think it's set. Hopefully I can do some actual driving this week I've had enough wrenching

this week Smile. And it seems an early spring is upon us hopefully we can all enjoy a little cruising.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:40 pm

I changed the belt from a 44" to a 43" and the pump now sits up.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 P3180011

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 P3180010

With a 43.5 it would fit but the pump would cock sideways like with 44". I had to drill out the end of the bracket for it to

fit and flatten the edge of the reservoir a tad (Only used a tack hammer) it's a real tight fit going on but not even the

littlest damn squeak to be heard! All these damn aftermarket brackets seem to be just a rough layout you DIY the rest lol.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Well nobody liked my bronze\gold grille so I reshot it in black with metallic silver light frames not too bad for $5 dollars

worth of paint.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 A_gril10

On a side note I was wondering where reman companies get their paint? Even the 1.25 can at the dollar general seems to

have more staying power than the Reman paint. I had to swap my master for a reman due to failure and it's been in there

about 5 weeks . this morning I noticed about 60 percent of it was rust! In 2014 I painted the Booster and 97 percent of it

is rust free today. They must use latex spray paint or spray food coloring no?
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Empty Edelbrock and regulator

Post  Myloth Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 pm

I thought I'd suggest something I just confirmed after reading this many times about Edelbrocks. And that is they

need a Fuel Pressure regulator. I just installed mine and the difference is night and day when it comes to idle. Before my

idle while smooth almost sounded Big Cammed (stock 305) now it sounds Ultra smooth and I don't smell any excess gas at

all.

I installed the Summit regulator below and set it 5.5 I also use all 3/8 line .

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3032

The excess fuel pressure does indeed flood the Edelbrock Carbs.

Pics installed slightly cobbed but functional and leak free

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 P4180010

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 P4180010
    mobilemowers
    mobilemowers
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  mobilemowers Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Wow such a long tread. Just need to clean up your wires and your done. I used the chrome spray paint. Not really chromie but it's better then peeling for flat paint.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 20160411
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Yeah I used metallic silver on the lights with clear coat on that and the grille. I need get some good looms those

wires are the newer Accel 5mm and they seem to work excellent .(But they don't fit regular looms )
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:39 am

Hey Bro, you want anything off this before it goes to the crusher on monday?

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 100_2277
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 100_2278
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 100_2279
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 100_2275
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 100_2276
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 00707_10
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:19 pm

How big is the air cleaner opening is it 5" or smaller? I need a winter\fall intake I sold that Dual air cleaner

(The money was just too good).
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Myloth wrote:How big is the air cleaner opening is it 5" or smaller? I need a winter\fall intake I sold that Dual air cleaner

(The money was just too good).

It fits a Rochester 4bbl, what ever size that is. It should fit your edelbrock.
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Myloth wrote:Yeah that's the ticket electric water pump and a manual steering gear! I'll just have to do the Pro street skinnies up front!
    thats the plan with mine as well, but before the skinnies up front im putting a sweet 6:1 gear box in with the sweet pump i already have it will turn on a dime
    Smile

your cars looking good tho
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Empty Diamond Plate ?

Post  Myloth Sun May 15, 2016 4:29 pm

I have been fooling around with some Diamond Plate here's a few albeit rough

takes on some of my handiwork .

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 P5150010

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 P5150011

Still needs a bit more finishing I need to clean up the dash ,get a rug and get some rubber

trim.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 am

Free black carpet in great condition. Just come and get it.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 20160545
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 20160547
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 20160548
    79 you have seen before  - Page 8 20160546
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:02 pm

PM sent on the carpet.

I sold off my 15" rims and purchased some 16x8 4th gen Camaro rims

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Rim110

This is with a 1" spacer and 215/60/16 (talk about a tight fit to the frame! Although I think with 2" spacers 275s are not out of the question.)

I need 2" spacers (Ordering them now ) though as the backspacing on these is 6.5" vs 4.5" for OEM

Not too bad I haven't even cleaned them up yet just sprayed them. This is the back I

can't even put the front ones on without 2" spacers lol.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Backspacing supposedly is 4.5" on my GTA Trans Am wheels but the 245's rub on the frame rail during hard cornering.

It's funny though..... the 15x10 Wheel Vintiques wheels with 5" backspacing and 295s didn't rub at all.

I bet it has to so with the positive offset that BOTH the GTA and Camaro wheels have.

I'm sorry Bro, but those tiny tires look ridiculous, lol!  Almost as bad as the 245/50s in the pic.

79 you have seen before  - Page 8 Image012

Sing it with me -
    ♪♫♪ Low rider drives a little slower.
    Low rider is a real goer
                                 Take a little trip, take a little trip
                                 Take a little trip with me.  ♪♫♫♪

Last edited by Sweet Seventy9 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Actually I have a another set of 225/60/16 for them (hey now that is the factory width ) I don't need big rollers till I get another motor anyhow.

From 20ft they look good though, when I get the spacers I'll take some distance and closeups

with the 215/60/16 and 1" spacer there is two fingers worth of space to the rear frame. (definitely 2" spacers needed.)

I will say I like the ride in the rear better with these than the 15" gumballs. (Less road distress those foot wide tires make you feel everything )
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:55 pm

I do admit the look is sweet (pun yea yea)

However there is better road handling with taller wheels to be sure.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am