GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

My 1977 Impala Wagon

SpicyMike
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

My 1977 Impala Wagon Empty My 1977 Impala Wagon

Post  SpicyMike Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi there, everybody.

First off, it makes me very happy to know that I am not the only one who loves "box" cars. Don't get me wrong, there are a few people in my town that do, but they're generally fitted with 24" wheels at the least and bad paint jobs, which isn't exactly my style.

I own a 77 Impala wagon. It was my first car and I purchased it when I was 18 (2010). I fell in love with it the first time I saw my uncle driving it around. Something about its shape captivated me. It looked mean yet respectful and I offered him all the money I had saved up for it on the spot. He had driven it from Nebraska to California, had the plates transferred and all that business because he was planning on moving here to stay, but ended up going back to Nebraska, and he did not want to keep the car.

I drove it around for a couple years but our smog laws here in Cali changed and despite spitting out passable emissions numbers, it blew a TINY puff of blue smoke right when it started up, which caused it to fail smog and had some dumb timing problem (I think I remember the smog tech thinking that the timing cover was wrong or something like that, which I'm not sure EXACTLY what that means...?). Due to money problems of a young adult, I was forced to non-op her in favor of a 1965 chevy c-10 that is in the family(doesn't need to smog haHA) and didn't need any engine work. However, I now have enough stability moneywise so I think it's time for a resurrection of my beloved wagon. I still start it up monthly, and everything still seems to be in the fair condition it was in when it was a daily driver. It is all stock (nothing that isn't as far as I can tell, besides an engine rebuild, anyway). It is in OK condition, but it does need some help (mostly cosmetic). Unfortunately, I have not had much luck in finding places around my area that can help with my questions about the car. I have been trolling the internet for a couple months now and, either by chance or by my ignorance in searching techniques, I have not had luck in finding precise little parts for my car or answers to my questions. So I decided to join a forum, and what luck I found this one! I have been lurking around this forum and have found some pretty BADASS rides.

I'm hoping yall might be able to help me along? I have tons of where-can-I-find-this questions, and also how-do-I-do-this-questions.

Thanks for reading!

-Michael J
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

My 1977 Impala Wagon Empty Re: My 1977 Impala Wagon

Post  solo79 Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Great story! Welcome to the Forum! I've heard it's pretty strict out there regarding cars. I don't think I would make it. We don't have emission testing of any kind where I'm at. I simply go to the courthouse, pay the registration on my cars and that's it. No fuss.

We'd love to see pictures of your wagon!
    SpicyMike
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  SpicyMike Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Thanks!

And no smog laws... oh how nice that must be!

I should have some free time between school work and my job this weekend. I will hopefully be able to post some pictures then.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Yeah California is strict wow sniffer on a 77'! I just was at a shop with 79' asking about my exhaust and they asked me

if I wanted to keep the cat with the new exhaust! Also I just passed inspection a week ago and it was a visual safety

inspection nothing else. NY is usually pretty strict but if it's pre 96 it passes a visual emissions inspection and if it's over

25 years old they don't care you can have straight pipes as long it won't break noise ordinance! That wagon sounds great

you have a picture?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:29 pm

Welcome! You found the right place! We can help with most things here. Make sure to DL copies of the Fisher Body Manual and the parts ID lists, they come in handy. The manual is for the 79 model year but most of the info covers 77-79.

Wagons are great! Pics, pics, PICS!! LOL!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 am