GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Slowing the Spread

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Slowing  the Spread Empty Slowing the Spread

Post  Myloth Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:07 pm

Slowing  the Spread Th_20140705_175402

Slowing  the Spread Th_20140705_175358

Slowing  the Spread Th_20140628_135706-1

One of the first things I set out to do with a vehicle is to stop the rust. Spent some time over the past week

sanding,grinding and spraying hopefully this will slow down if not eliminate it for now till a more intensive job can

be done. I didn't take any underneath shots but got some sanding and undercoating done there as well.

Should have taken a few before and after but really not too bad the worst of all in the entire car is the bottom

of the quarters and what was left of the battery tray. Lot of sanding on the top the wheel wells though I think they

look decent for a quick sand and spray.

Amazing what a will , a Hilti Grinder and 25 bucks in aerosol spray will do!

I also thought I'd toss my opinion of the recently installed shocks I put the Gabriel g63375 (police and taxi)

550013 Monroe Severe Duty in the rear. I can't complain the ride is good both front and rear and not too

stiff at all. Of course coming from a 95 Camaro I can't see how it would seem stiff lol.

I can barely feel speed bumps and the car takes them with aplomb .

My only issue is anti-roll bars seem inadequate(small) for a body this large any recommendations ? I thought

I seen a 1 3/8 bar (front) somewhere online has anyone used that yet?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Slowing  the Spread Empty Re: Slowing the Spread

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 pm

Nice! BMR Suspension has bigger sway bars, in fact theres a topic on it in the "performance parts" section
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Spohn performance actually has the biggest sway bars, 1-5/16" front and 1.5" rear solid bars, and they have a set on sale http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1996-GM-B-Body/Suspension/Sway-Bars-Accessories/Sway-Bars-Set-Solid-4140-Chrome-Moly.html
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Whoah , 1-5/16" front and 1.5" rear solid bars they sound scary have you tried them?

Lol they sound good and it is a big body. I had 35mm front and 7/8" rear on a

05' Impala (one owner with 180k+ and all original and damn those 60 degree v6s to Nifelheim I say) I

was driving and it could have been a bit tighter.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:27 am

I envy your floor pans. Wish mine looked that good. Be sure and check under your rear package tray insulation too! Although, I expected floor pan issues, I was not prepared nor did I expect to find my rear package shelf destroyed from rust. I have to take out the back window and do some major surgery on the shelf between the quarters. I suspect a prolonged leaking back window caused it. If you scroll through my build thread, you'll see how much rust I have to deal with and how my work is literally cut out for me. You have the right idea in coating that metal to prevent future rust. Looks great!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks. I did check that area the main concern with mine is the bottom of the quarters and the area where the battery sits

the tray was rotted and also the area that holds the tray that is a problem that will need added metal like the quarters.

Everywhere else there is some surface rust mild to heavy but minimal rot. I know what you mean some years back I

took a 84' New Yorker in trade and the car was so rotted out I left rust trails wherever I went. Thankfully it blew the

Chrysler 8 1/4 (those were bad rears I broke another in 87 Police Car both had underwhelming 318s)  and I only traded

it for something worth few hundred dollars. There are few frame spots I need to get back to at some point soon with that

Hilti just to be sure .

What do you think of my steering wheel another Ebay find for total cost of 60 installed it's an APC billet Aluminum 3 spoke.

I plan to redo the interior in charcoal and gray or just plain black and white undecided as yet.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 pm

I just pulled all the panels in the rear of the interior not a lick of rust (Pheew). Seems my only task is

quarters as they are not too good. Speaking of quarters anybody make them at all ?
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Well it wasn't the rear window leaking it was the rear side windows! They must have a very slow leak take a look at these panels.

Slowing  the Spread Th_DSC01217

Slowing  the Spread Th_DSC01216

Slowing  the Spread Th_DSC01215

Slowing  the Spread Th_DSC01214

Between the leaks and the sun they are completely destroyed. ( I really hate the way plastic turns to chalk like that.)

See the rust on the metal supports there's a little around the windows nothing major though thankfully. Anyone have to

reseal their back windows and if so what did you use? Only time I had to do it was on a 70s Valiant and I used some

that old style black sticky stuff like sealant seemed to work good then.

I wonder if the rust is possible from condensation over 35 years seems only surface rust on the body.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am