GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

New Additions to KITT

solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

New Additions to KITT Empty New Additions to KITT

Post  solo79 Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:02 pm

So as some of you know by reading my progress thread on my 79, I also have another unique vehicle. This past weekend I decided to pull out KITT's dash and install a few new items. I now have the signature voice box and the "pod" switches just behind the gullwing steering control. The pod switches contain familiar items like Turbo Boost, Eject L and Eject R, Auto Roof L and Auto Roof R, MicroJam, and Oil Slick to name a few. Here are some pics:

On the table in the kitchen:

New Additions to KITT IMG_1902640x480_zps687b6a9c

New Additions to KITT IMG_1904640x480_zpscc4787e0

New Additions to KITT IMG_1905640x480_zps342cc96f

And what it looks like back in the car:

New Additions to KITT IMG_1907640x480_zpsf0b2a065

New Additions to KITT IMG_1909640x480_zpsb135e989

New Additions to KITT IMG_1911640x480_zps32bae2a6

Still have lots more to go to put in this dash and the upper console, but all in good time and coming together nicely.

Enjoy!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

New Additions to KITT Empty Re: New Additions to KITT

Post  Myloth Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 pm

That looks great it has been a long time since I seen that show you car looks like I remember it lol.

How much of a project is that anyhow resources, time and all?
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  solo79 Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Hey, thanks!  It's not a project for the faint of heart or for someone who wants it done in a year unless you are loaded.lol  It's also not a car for anyone who doesn't like attention.  You will be lucky to make it 2 miles from your house without being flagged down, stopped at gas stations, talked to at stop lights, etc...  Although, if you think KITT is an attention getter, a friend of mine has a General Lee and he hardly ever drives it because he can't get anywhere.  At least KITT kind of blends in and some don't recognize it immediately, but you can't hide in a General Lee very well.

I've been building this car off and on since 2006, yea, 8 years. Before that, I had a different one not as nice from 2002-2005.  The amount of money I have tied up in this one could restore 3 Caprices with completely rusted out floor pans.lol  It's a very fun project though.  Most of the stuff to build this car is all hand made by a few and there is a waiting list for lots of it.  I've seen people spend 10 years building them and still not done.  Plus, the accuracy of the parts are always getting better so you sometimes sell what you have and upgrade to the latest.  I replaced the entire dash a couple of years ago for a more accurate one.  It still shows nicely even unfinished and I keep adding things here and there.

I always make someone's day when I'm out in this car.  It's always surprising to me how happy it makes people to see KITT because many would never dream of seeing a car like that except on TV.  It's a blast to own and drive that's for sure.  When I get some time, I'll post some overall pics of the car in this thread.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:45 pm

It looks good I don't know if I would do it though I get enough attention driving this Impala. (southern Cal this is

not)When I used to drive a 63' Riviera that would get me a lot of attention (peeps around here are easily

impressed)people love seeing cars that old. But KITT would draw crowds I don't think I want that. But it's great

to see it!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content