GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Cluster Connector

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Cluster Connector Empty Cluster Connector

Post  Myloth Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:13 am

Anyone have a diagram of the Cluster Connector next to the Speedometer? Or know the pinouts?

The connector is 18 pins and has the following wires.

10 Lt blue   ----------  1 Brown
    11 Dark Blue  -------    2 Dark Green
    12  empty    ---------  3 Light Green
    13 empty  ---------     4 Black
    14 Pink white stripe- -- 5 Gray
    15 2 Brown White Stripe-6 Black
    16 Dark brown ---------7 Pink Black stripe
    17 Black white Stripe ---8 Pink
    18 Yellow -----------    9 Empty

The only thing I have line on so far is the Directional Indicators which maybe the LT and Dk Blues

Any ideas? I tried Several diagrams not helpful the Fisher Manual just has color codes

for the whole car without specifying where. And the Regal-Monte diagram isn't even close.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Cluster Connector Empty Re: Cluster Connector

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes light and dark blue are the front turn signals, ive got the wiring diagram posted on here, but if you need me to email it to you to see it better i can.
    https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t54-1977-1978-1979-caprice-impala-wiring-diagram
    DO you have the optional gauge pack? or just the standard cluster? They both use the same wiring, just the gauge pack has an extra wire for the temp gauge.

But to answer your post:

10 Lt Blue- Front LH turn sig
    11 Dk Blue- Front RH turn sig
    12---
    13---
    14 i only see pink, with no white stripe- fuel gauge from the tank
    15 2 brown(tan) w/white- brake light, one comes from the ignition switch to light up when starting and the other is from the parking brake switch and the combi valve
    16 Brown (you said: dark brown)- gen light, comes straight from the alternator
    17 Black w/white stripe- ground just for the seat belt light
    18 Yellow- seat belt light
    1 Tan(you said: brown) oil pressure switch
    2 Dk Green- Temp switch, up at the firewall at the junction block, one wire comes from the ignition to turn on when starting and the other comes straight from the temp switch, but you only see one wire at the connector (just an FYI)
    3 Light Green- Bright light indicator
    4 Black- there are two blacks one is for the ground for the ints lamps and the other is ground from the ignition switch to turn the fuel gauge on etc.
    5 Gray- Power for the instrument lights
    6 Same as number 4
    7 Pink w/black stripe- there are two of these and both are positive from the ign, also for the gauges
    8 Same as number 14
    9---

Sorry this doesnt seem helpful but its what ive got, ive pretty much got these cars' wiring diagram down and know it by heart almost, if you need any more help let me know
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:24 pm

No that's much more helpful than anything I have read so far. All I really need is the basics of the cluster I can figure out

anything else I just did not want to spend 3 hours testing leads . I am wiring in a new Cluster I made and need the

signals, lights , fuel , etc . My original speedometer died so I said to heck with it and put together a 6 gauge cluster.

That and I am ditching the Cruise since it didn't work, price was right the non cruise speedometer cable was only 8 dollars.

Thank you I am much obliged for this information!
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:09 am

Myloth wrote:No that's much more helpful than anything I have read so far.  All I really need is the basics of the cluster I can figure out

anything else  I just did not want to spend 3 hours testing leads .  I am wiring in a new Cluster I made and need the

signals, lights , fuel , etc . My original speedometer died so I said to heck with it and put together a 6 gauge cluster.

That and I am ditching the Cruise since it didn't work, price was right the non cruise speedometer cable was only 8 dollars.

Thank you I am much obliged for this information!

Pics and write-up?  Smile

I had something similar to this in my track car - Cluster Connector Gauges10
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:47 am

Yeah post a write up when you do it

Thanks Sweet for posting that pic again, i was looking for it but couldnt find it, I too am going to do that, and I was going to use the Autometer cobalt gauges so im glad to see theres enough room to do it. Ive also priced out using Autometer gauges and its going to be around $1300 just for the gauges, the full electric sweep, the short sweeps are a little cheaper but not much, but it looks so good!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Sure I can post some pics I'm in the throws of getting it together now. I already pulled the old cluster and

cruise\speedo cables. It looks similar yes, it's based on a metal template an ebay seller had. I took that and

ran with it adding an aluminum plate behind it. It will all fit into the spot of the original cluster. (i hope rofl)
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:03 pm

On those pink wires 7 has black stripe like 14 but 8 does not have a stripe are these all the same?
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:26 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Yeah post a write up when you do it

Thanks Sweet for posting that pic again, i was looking for it but couldnt find it, I too am going to do that, and I was going to use the Autometer cobalt gauges so im glad to see theres enough room to do it. Ive also priced out using Autometer gauges and its going to be around $1300 just for the gauges, the full electric sweep, the short sweeps are a little cheaper but not much, but it looks so good!

That pic is in my build thread somewhere, I think page 6 or 7. $1,300? I think I'd opt for the Dakota Digital cluster for about 800.00 before I did that. I'm still thinking about that really for myself.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Oh well maybe it was you who posted that oops lol, anyway, no they are not all the same, the solid pink wire is from the gas tank sender unit, and the two pink and black stripes are positive from the ignition
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Thank for that I think I have what I need once I test it all out I'll post how I wired it in case it actually all works!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Cluster Connector Empty fuel wire

Post  Myloth Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 pm

I have everything functional except the gas gauge now I know it maynot read right with oem setup

but I think the sending wire isn't right? I know it has power because the tach is running off same wire and works

fine?My bad I literally had my wires crossed used the wrong pink. Now to get that fuel gauge to give the right

level. Maybe not still not quite right on the fuel but I go straight to the tank when I pull the rearend tomorrow.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Cluster Connector Empty Correct Wiring

Post  Myloth Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:50 pm

I just wanted to point out your information was spot on. Aside from the Sunpro being incompatible with GM senders

I bought the Equus Fuel gauge and the first one I received was a dud lol. Now I have the the replacement in and working

correctly and yes that pink wire is the sender I even seen it coming from the tank in the back thanks again.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 am