GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Interior / Exterior LED upgrade

HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Interior / Exterior LED upgrade Empty Interior / Exterior LED upgrade

Post  HeavyChevy77 Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:51 am

I've seen a few of the members have done led upgrades.
    Can you guys post what bulbs you used and resistors used if any. 
    Thanks trying to modernize the car a lil.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Interior / Exterior LED upgrade Empty Re: Interior / Exterior LED upgrade

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:46 am

Ive been meaning to do a post on my full led conversion i did 2 years ago, once i find some time ill make a post of everything i used
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:18 pm

I used resistors of Chinese generic variety copper heatsink(aluminum) look they work for preventing blowouts

but you'll  need a flasher upgrade either way. I used a lot of mixed smd bulbs for example I put 68smd whites

as the reverse lightsand now I have foglights for my backup lights lol. But I used 45smd  for the rear signals in

red and that works well too.

SMD or Surface Mount Device represents the number of leds used. Each of these bulbs represent a factory

bulb  for ie. my 68smd were 1156 in White while my rear turn signals were 45smd Red to replace 1157 clear

(Red lens the red led light goes through it better). Sweet  referenced a company on here that gives a discount

it's Superbrightleds.com. BTW I love my Leds check my gauges I did in Blue Leds, the dash is a very cheap

upgrade to do most of those bulbs don't cost much.

Interior / Exterior LED upgrade Th_20141107_211357
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Myloth wrote:I used resistors of Chinese generic variety copper heatsink(aluminum) look they work for preventing blowouts

but you'll  need a flasher upgrade either way. I used a lot of mixed smd bulbs for example I put 68smd whites

as the reverse lightsand now I have foglights for my backup lights lol. But I used 45smd  for the rear signals in

red and that works well too.

SMD or Surface Mount Device represents the number of leds used. Each of these bulbs represent a factory

bulb  for ie. my 68smd were 1156 in White while my rear turn signals were 45smd Red to replace 1157 clear

(Red lens the red led light goes through it better). Sweet  referenced a company on here that gives a discount

it's Superbrightleds.com. BTW I love my Leds check my gauges I did in Blue Leds, the dash is a very cheap

upgrade to do most of those bulbs don't cost much.

Interior / Exterior LED upgrade Th_20141107_211357
    Alright thanks man 
    Are the resistors just one general type or has to be certain resistance?
    Those gauges are awesome I bet people slow down when they pass just to get a second look lol ..I seen the equus set for $200 on summit racing 
    That's a deal $300 to make custom gauges ..
    Btw MyLoth I left a message on the cluster build about what lights for turn signal/high beam on the dash
    Thanks again
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm

I seen this site
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1652833_A_how_to__DIY_LED_conversion_for_tail_lights___dial_up_beware_many_pics__New_project_9_7_14.html

And gave me inspiration too make my own tail lights and lower turn signals out of LEDs and abs sheet of plastic
    My mom used to work at a plastic company and can at least get the front lower turn signal remade clear smooth and HOPEFULLY get the tail lights completely  clear if not at least the flat parts made it'd be clear inserts.

Since out old stock lights are somewhat a bowl to reflect light up(painted silver to help) I'll block it off with abs black sheet
    Where i will drill mount wire solder the LEDs/ resistors 
    And since out lens pop out about 3/4" I have plenty room
    Imagine clear lens that looked blacked out till you step on the brakes.
    Cops can't do anything if it's red bulbs and clear lens that's street legal and nothing stated on housing background color 

Im gonna use 1/16" abs as the mount for LEDs and mount it between the lens and housing so it's sandwiched between and fills all the space with black.
    A lot of drillin and soldering and a little cutting sould do it
    Under $100 for all the LEDs for the tail lamp 3*6 each light so 54 each side and 108 LEDs total
    Plus gotta see what I can get done about the tail lens

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm