GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+2
solo79
GM B-Body Forum
6 posters

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc Empty Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Since i still havent got the cyl heads back from the shop yet, ive been very antsy, and have been doing random projects to pass the time. I plastidipped the wheels, finally got aroung to tenting the front windows, lowered the front about 3-4 inches, all i did was cut the springs, super easy took only a few hours. I also removed the heater box, i wasnt originally but i dont drive the car very much, i also removed the wiper motor so i cant drive it in the rain, moved the battery to the trunk, getting ready to remove most of the sound insulation in the car. Im doing as much as i can to drop the weight, without gutting it like a drag car. I cant wait to drive it. Its been down for three months, and all these nice warm days are just driving me crazy!!

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150415

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150410

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150411

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150412

I bought a piece of sheet metal at the hardware store, instead of just putting a piece there, i decided to mimick the heater box to control the water flow, just a couple bends all it took, and im using the original rubber seal that goes across the top. The dremel came in handy for this project.
    Water test, no leaks!
    Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150413

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150414

Last edited by GM B-Body Forum on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc Empty Re: Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Forgot to mention, that when i lowered the front, it gave too much positive camber, so i had to adjust it, using the original shims as a guide, i added about a half inch to 3/4 inch more shims to offset the lowering, now it has a tad bit of negative camber.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc Empty Re: Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc

Post  solo79 Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:31 am

Wow, still no heads yet? I like the blacked out wheels and the lowered stance. Are you going to lower the rear any? How was that plasti-dip process? I've been thinking about doing that on my Firebird wheels. Looking good, wish I could get something done.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Looks mean the stance is nice indeed. What did you use there below the windshield sheetmetal?
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:10 pm

That is coming along nicely. The tucked bumpers, lowered stance and plasti-dip wheels look fantastic!
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:47 am

Yep just used a piece of sheetmetal, and bent it to fit to allow the water to drain to the side.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:29 am

Good work then looks sharp and functional too! Definitely the overall look is coming together for you.

What's holding you up on the heads is it that pesky little thing we call life getting in the way again?

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks, nope its actually the shop its self, theyre way behind and backed up, theyre a few miles from charlotte motor speedway so i know theyre flooded with cylinder heads, he initially told me 6 weeks, well were on number 9 and im so antsy, but ill wait to have them done right with quality parts.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Thanks, nope its actually the shop its self, theyre way behind and backed up, theyre a few miles from charlotte motor speedway so i know theyre flooded with cylinder heads, he initially told me 6 weeks, well were on number 9 and im so antsy, but ill wait to have them done right with quality parts.

Yep, when I had my heads done for the 327, I put the block and heads in the shop in December and had them in 3 weeks. A good friend of mine told me once early spring gets here, the shops are packed with heads and engines. If I wanted to build the Caprice engine right now, I wouldn't get anything back until June.lol
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:18 am

solo79 wrote:

Wow, still no heads yet? I like the blacked out wheels and the lowered stance. Are you going to lower the rear any? How was that plasti-dip process? I've been thinking about doing that on my Firebird wheels. Looking good, wish I could get something done

Ok so the plastidip didnt turn out well, well actually yes it did, once it rained the stuff came off. The finish, durability, and the way it peels off is awesome, but it wouldnt stick to my aluminum wheels and i preped the crap out of them lol. So since i liked the look, i just ended up painting them with real paint, i primed and then used a flat black, i think i may go over it with a semi gloss to see what that looks like. Anyway, i was thinking about dropping the rear, but ofcourse i cant cut the springs on the rear, so they hot these things that clamp on the raise or lower the coil. so i might try that and then eventually get coils front and rear, but right now i like the stance. Oh and on the plasti dip i used the duplicolor custom wrap, it has a real nice clean finish, i just wish it would have stuck.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:56 am

I found the Performix Plasti Dip sticks to everything I sprayed my wheel barrow and let sit outside

all winter the finish is still good I even used it on the rear upper panels in the car that were turning to powder to

keep them from doing that.

As far as flat black I wouldn't recommend with out a semi-gloss clear coat of some kind. I tried flat black last

year and it seems to get ugly real quick without some kind of clear coat.

Here's a snap of the flat black wheel taken today.(Total &@$^)

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc Th_20150417_174044
    bj383ss
    bj383ss
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  bj383ss Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 am

Your car looks great. I have always wanted to lower mine. I think Eibach makes lowering springs for them. On my bucket list anyways. When I put my first hot rod engine in I went on a diet and pulled 150 pounds off the front of the car. That included the A/C and all the smog equipment plus the horrible Cat that was on it.

Bret
    IROCFST
    IROCFST
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  IROCFST Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:39 pm

How did u get the front springs out to cut them? I am going to do mine and was thinking about putting the car on stands and then put my jack under the lower control arm and popping the lower ball joint. How much did you cut off? I chopped the rear springs already and lowered the rear almost 3".
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 pm

You have to separate the lower ball joint, thats it. You dont have to remove the lower control arm. I didnt cut much off the springs, but it lowered the front about 4 to 5 inches, the car bottoms out when i drive it, i got it a little too low, ill have to take a pic of what i cut off, id start with about 1 coil, i cut about 2 coils off. Also the pic i have above is before the heads and intake were on so its lower than that pic.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue May 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Ok here are the pics i promised, i cut almost exactly 4 inches off the coil, and it lowered it about 4 to 5 inches.

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150510

Lowered the Caprice, weight reduction, etc 20150511
    IROCFST
    IROCFST
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  IROCFST Fri May 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Yeh I'm not going to cut that much off; maybe 1 coil. Might have to wait a bit though because I just got a bunch of stereo stuff that needs installing. I have 60 series tires on the front also so it don't need much.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am