GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+5
Patchy
Sweet Seventy9
Myloth
kartmaster
GM B-Body Forum
9 posters

Leaking Heater Box Disassembly

bj383ss
    bj383ss
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Leaking Heater Box Disassembly - Page 2 Empty Re: Leaking Heater Box Disassembly

Post  bj383ss Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:59 am

This is an interesting topic. I had never heard of this problem. I guess I am lucky mine hasn't started leaking yet. I had contemplated pulling the whole heater box and just putting a plate on the firewall.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Leaking Heater Box Disassembly - Page 2 Empty Re: Leaking Heater Box Disassembly

Post  Gooched78Caprice Sun May 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Thank you to all the forum posters who contribute to making my love of these cars that much easier to enjoy. After removing my carpet to find some unexpected floor pan issues I was luckily enough to get caught in the rain on my way home from the repairing of my floor boards. This made it very easy to locate my leak(s) just tracing the path from the puddle on my passenger floor board, up to behind my glovebox... Quickly enough I found my resolution right here and had a game plan to resolve this issue.

So off came the inner fender, pulled heater box from firewall, removed ac & heater core from box(able to safely move out of way while still hooked up), removed my heater box, went down to the local Tony's Auto and picked up some Black RTV sealant and a box of 3M 1' Strip Calk. To make sure I don't end up having to remove it again sooner than later I ended up disassembling the whole heater box and resealed it with 3M strip calk, then used the RTV for resealing the heater box gasket to the box and a combo of the RTV and 3M Strip Calk to seal it back to the firewall.

I appreciate all the great info that can be found here and is shared in our B Body community. Thank you again to all who take their time to post! You've all made my life much easier taking care of my Irene. pig
    HeavyChevy
    HeavyChevy
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)

Post  HeavyChevy Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:10 am

Here's mine! I had been putting this job off for years... Has anybody else found (or made) a replacement gasket for the box? The original looks reusable, but I wonder if there's something better. BTW, I found a source for the unique M6.2 SEMS screws that secure the box to the firewall, if anybody wants fresh ones.

Leaking Heater Box Disassembly - Page 2 Big_ho10

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 am