GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

wiper washer fail

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

wiper washer fail Empty wiper washer fail

Post  Myloth Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I can't get my washer pump to work I even tried a new pump didn't help and when I hit the washer

it locks wipers into washer\wipe mode and won't come out without turning off the ignition. The pump

relay just clicks and clicks nothing else ?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

wiper washer fail Empty Re: wiper washer fail

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:53 pm

UGH!! Sounds like the dreaded Pulse Wiper Switch Failure!

It took me something like 8 months to find a working one and I search all of North America for parts almost every day. There's plenty of broken ones out there but few working ones. Make sure the one you buy is guaranteed to work properly.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:32 am

I can't find one either, I am thinking about replacing the switch with a universal. As you say sourcing the original is a bug

hunt and one I don't want to do. Anyone try that I see some heavy duty rotary switches with washer function for under 30 ?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:14 am

What about temporarily using a push button switch with something like this (or similar):

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/windshield-washer-pump/taap-windshield-washer-pump/368852_0_0/

You could use a nitrous push button Laughing

Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:48 am

Well I ordered a rotary wiper washer my whole switch is kinda crappy even the low high has issues. I'll just save the

original with the panel and make a new panel for the rotary. But if I have issues with the washer it might come to

what you suggest. It's just as well I replace it, I took the old one out and all the springs went all over the place scratch

that one.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:01 am

The good ole pulse wiper failure, ive much experience with that, thats why when i was looking for a 77 to 79 model years ago i was going to only buy one with the two speed and i got lucky, i got a two speed. But i had an 84 caprice, first year for the multistalk, ( the wipers, cruise, turn sigs, high beams all in one, for those who didnt know) i had intermittent problems with it then it got to a point to where the delay wouldnt work, the washer pump would get stuck, and then after a bout 5 mins of using it on either low or high it would just stop completely like it overheated, let it cool down and it would work again, had some fun rainy days to say the least ( before i knew about rainx lol). I went through 4 wiper motors, bought 3 from the junkyard then ended up buying a reman from the local auto parts store, bought two new washer pumps, and i could never ever get that thing to work properly, i fought that for over 3 years and then discovered it was the switch inside the column, i found one but for over 150 dollars i couldnt afford it ( still in high school no job). The moral of this story, stay away from early GM pulse wipers!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:49 am

Up till now I have been lucky even my older rides like a 63' I never had wiper problems. But this as you both say has to be the switch it works ok for low and high but I think it's just worn out. And the prices I have seen on replacements hehe I found some nice HD rotary switches made for large trucks like caterpillar I'll just follow the diagrams and wire it up and
    stay away from pulse switches. I was never a fan of intermittent of any kind anyway most cars they are too slow or too fast I'd rather do it myself, I do it all time in the CR-V manually.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 pm

I am still in the throws of a wiper nightmare I swapped the original and could not get it to work

at first because of the kooky GM wiring. Eventually I rewired it and the Cardone reman

started smoking lol. So now I have to wait for a new one However this is one case where

KISS came into play my neighbor a 30 year master mechanic helped me out but he couldn't

get it going. Finally I rewired with fresh wire like it's supposed to be as a ground switch and

Viola!

I told my neighbor you forgot the Keep it Simple Stupid rule sigh. I would be set right now if

not for the damn Cardone reman but from what I read they are good with the hard parts

but poor with the rewiring of the motors and apparently make mistakes all the time.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Here's the new switch working well and looks stock far better than the light switch

made out lol.

wiper washer fail Th_PB130028

wiper washer fail Th_PB130026

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am