GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Good parts to collect / interchange 77-79

mobilemowers
    mobilemowers
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Good parts to collect / interchange 77-79 Empty Good parts to collect / interchange 77-79

Post  mobilemowers Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:22 am

Hello
    I have a 77 and noticed some parts are harder to find then other such as fenders and 78/78 head light bezels. I noticed dash boards tops seem to be something to collect also and arm rest tops.

Anything else I should collect and any other vesicles interchange? I got a nice dash cap from an 83 Buick Lesbare and some arm rest parts as them seem the same. Doors seemed close. I know front windshield stuff is the same. I see the back window is almost impossible to find.

Another thing I noticed is chrome spray paint is helping restore my headlight bezel but is their anyplace that can professionally redo plastic chrome? I also need one of the fake turn signals for the front bezel as mine was cracked.
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Good parts to collect / interchange 77-79 Empty Re: Good parts to collect / interchange 77-79

Post  Kit1078 Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:14 pm

There are a couple places that make reproduction dash pads, since it was essentially the same from 77 thru 90, though I have been told the single speaker version isn't accurate for 77-78.

Headlight brackets for 77-78 impala are good things to find, there are a few people on here looking for them all the time.

Oh, floor pans. Floor pans. Floor pans. Floor pans. NObODY makes reproduction floor pans for these things and they always rust out. I have a California car and the driver's side front floor pan is STILL rusted out. They are relatively compatible from 77 thru 96. The later ones have some minor changes, but they can be made to work.

Other than that,tail light and license trim are always hard to find. Interior rear window trim on 2dr cars, since the plastic always dry rots. If you find one, a 9C1 speedometer. Also, rear sway bars for wagons. They're just different enough from the sedans to make them a pain. Rear bumpers for 77-79, they have a habit of rusting out. Oh, and the rear bumper filler panel, always looking for those.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of for now.

About the plastichrome: I know there are a couple model car suppliers that can do the vacuum plastic chrome, but I have no idea if it holds up. I have seen where some metal players can chrome plate fiberglass bumpers an whatnot, so you might look into that.
    mobilemowers
    mobilemowers
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Good parts to collect / interchange 77-79 Empty Re: Good parts to collect / interchange 77-79

Post  mobilemowers Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:22 am

Hello
    I see people posting for the interior rear window plastic big side trim piece is that sought after? The 2 door buick has a nice set I could get. I stripped out a 83 Buick 2 doorfor some parts. Too bad doors don't work. Dash pads are the same now have two spare dash pads. Pontiac doors do but never seen any.

What is this speedo you mention? Mine is stock. Think that is the newer style and going to 120? I seen one older one once with a temp gauge so cool.

Mine is Ind car so rust free floors. Can you get those bumper guards fixed? Repo bumpers?

Who makes repo dash pads? Mine was mono but may just stick a stereo after painting it. Hard to find an am / fm radio. 76 / 77 Pont and Chevy. I could use the fake turn lens for the pass side bezel as mine is cracked.

Seems rear window trim for areo coupe is hard to find. I once had a deal on the window dirt cheap but lost the number. Seems fenders are 77-79. Have one spare.

Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Kit1078 Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't know if the buick interior trim crosses, I'd have to see it.  

I've not been able to find repopped rear bumpers or filler pieces.  Same for doors, fenders, quarters, etc.  

On the speedo, the 1977-1979 speedo goes to 120, the 80-90 goes from 5 to 115.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am