GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

sbc headers

terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

sbc headers Empty sbc headers

Post  terry cronk Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am

I purchased a set of Flowtech headers the other day that clear angled Chevy aluminum plugs.  They were under $90.00.  Small scratches.

Part #11108FLT with long oval exhaust ports.  I tried them out.  They fit with lots of clearance.

Only issue is they come with 2.25" collector extensions.  The collectors are 2.5".  So I found some that were 2.5" to 2.5" on Ebay.  Another $30.00.

I'm going to put 2.5" exhaust all the way through.

That's good it cleared everything very well.  Their on Flowtechheaders.com.  They didn't have the 2.5 to 2.5 extensions.

More yet to do.
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

sbc headers Empty sbc headers

Post  terry cronk Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 am

As much as I would like the local muffler guy put the exhaust on, He is going to charge me the same as the Flowmaster #17119, $350 with my mufflers.

And his bends are not a smooth mandrel bends.  They are the typical crimped type.  So I have to think this one out.

I would still go to him to get the 2.5" down pipe to the exhaust.  More decisions and money.

At present the engine and transmission are in and coolant and radiator lines are all in.

The 4 core radiator took some trimming of the shroud. Plus some mods on the poly mounts.

Slow but sure.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

sbc headers Empty Re: sbc headers

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:18 pm

I redid my exhaust last year, and I used the universal kit from pypes, part number was xvf10. I have it dumped just before the rear axle with dynomax race bullets. Incredibly loud, I ended up installing some mufflers to quiet it down, but I can unbolt the band clamps and take them off when I want loud again haha.  
    sbc headers F1447510
    sbc headers 07051711
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:49 pm

I have similar dilemma I have pair of Blackjack Full length headers and some header buddies the rest I have to yet a plan.

Until few weeks ago that is, I bought a welder I'm going to make my own from scratch same for new trans Crossmember

(working on that now). Around here( Upstate NY) I can't find anyone to do decent exhaust for less than $700-800.

And as you say they will probably be bad bends anyway. The welder cost me $100 and materials I can prob get for next to

nothing so I'm fabbing it up myself. The X pipe would be a great base for even my fab exhaust idea, the X pipe is the

hardest piece to make I think.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am