GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Shortened driveshaft.

terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Shortened driveshaft. Empty Shortened driveshaft.

Post  terry cronk Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm

I had a surprise when installing the shortened driveshaft(after the 700R4 install). I replaced the short crossover sheet metal bracket.

I go to drive it out and something is beating the floor up. And first comes to mind was the transmission went out.

Back up on stands. I take a look at the metal bracket, too close to the U-Joint. So I remove it and sure enough scrub marks.

When cutting and shortening the driveshaft put it right under the U-Joint. Where as before it was behind it.

Always something new. Exclamation
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Shortened driveshaft. Empty Re: Shortened driveshaft.

Post  Kit1078 Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Huh. I never thought of that. I ended up using a driveshaft safety loop on my car, but mostly because I went stick, so chances of breaking a u joint went up. are you sure you have the tranny mount shimmed high enough? almost sounds like the transmission is sitting too low at the tailshaft end.
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Shortened driveshaft. Empty shortened diveshaft

Post  terry cronk Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 am

Theturbo 350 sits 3 inches further ahead.  Thus the driveshaft is ahead and the diameter of the shaft is smaller.

Everything sits very well.  Along with the special crossmember and the shims.  Very heavy duty piece.

The u-joints are pressed in sealed.  No grease zerts.  Less chance of breaking at a dilled and tapped area.

The u-joints are the 3R OEM. Their size wise(OD.) between the 1310 and 1350. Plenty strong.

Sponsored content

Shortened driveshaft. Empty Re: Shortened driveshaft.

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm