GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Caprice 1977 - I need your help !

stalje
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Empty Caprice 1977 - I need your help !

Post  stalje Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:27 am

Hello everyone.
    I'm a frenchguy who just bought a 77' Caprice that has been partially dismantled. I would really appreciate your help to identifiy parts that I have and that I would need.
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! IMG_20180629_080605

I suppose that the engine actually under the bonnet is not adequate to this caprice. I think that this is not the most desirable smallblock but that's a basis...

The real deal should be the engine wiring harness that has given headaches to the previous owner that finally abdicted. I tried to find some new engine wiring loom on the web without success for the moment.

Here are some pictures of the engine compartment.
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! IMG_0306
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! IMG_0307

I did an introduction video to the project that you can find here :

at 6:45 you will be able to see some engine footages.

If there is a section of the forum dedicated to members presentation, please tell me, I did not found it for the moment Smile

Thank you very much !
    plepgeat
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Empty Cool car!

Post  plepgeat Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:21 am

First thing to do, if you haven't already, is to buy a good service and repair manual like this one:

https://www.themotorbookstore.com/chevy-caprice-biscayne-bel-air-impala-repair-manual-haynes-24045.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=chevy-caprice-biscayne-bel-air-impala-repair-manual-haynes-24045&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqPDaBRC6ARIsACAf4hAZYmZah2tfBxmN79BqBl7M5yKSzqbBWwq2gHDyD1JlsqphlmAOCq0aAu_NEALw_wcB

NEXT thing to do is to decide if you want to keep it all original or upgrade it. For a comfortable cruiser the original motor is fine; for more a performance-oriented build it... isn't. My 1979 Oldsmobile is the same General Motors 'B-Body' platform and now has a modified 6.2 liter V-8 from a heavy-duty pickup truck, so nothing is original on the inside. And it's fast!

Great car, and good luck!
    alusil850
    alusil850
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Empty Re: Caprice 1977 - I need your help !

Post  alusil850 Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:54 am

Hi,
    I am also a frenchguy who rebuilding a caprice77 too, i see your caprice on LBC some month ago.
    I starting mine with completly dismantling, sand blasting all, buy all exterior part in NOS, ... I know each parts of this car.
    so you don't have the correct engine but just a quadrajet and is pipe and a good hei will be a good primary job (I have a stock pipe for it).
    for electrical, I can do picture and you can compare and also read à haynes manual, also remove diagnostic plug and is wiring, you will remove 50% of inused wires.
    but in first, search rust on chassis under the rear bodymounts, around windshields... and you will know how many job waiting for you.

and your caprice look to be a impala.

you can see my car here:http://tribuneauto.forumactif.com/t34090-restauration-totale-chevy-caprice-77
    when I finish it, I will post it here.

I look in my workshop and I have a lot of parts you will need;
    nos hood emblem
    quadrajet pipe
    rear windshield molding
    clip for windshield
    complete interior, nice door panel in light grey etc
    lateral emblems
    some parts of the dashboard
    right outside mirror and drawing for holes in the door
    a clock
    a sport dash board with is 4 gauges
    r and l inside roof moldings etc

pm me.

stalje
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  stalje Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 am

So sorry to have not visited this forum for so long. Thanks both for your replies.
    I made a lot of progress on the project and the car is now drivable.

You can follow the process via the 3 videos following :

EP 01 :

EP 02 :

EP 03 :

here are some additionnal pictures of the car, from last week :
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-7361442549
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-73614413f7
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-7361446d62
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-73614315ca
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-7361447a15

alusil850, you think right, this is a '78 caprice with 77' title. But the plates are matching so no worries about the legal state of the car, even more with its "classic title".
    I bough a 4bbl intake manifold already (aluminum yay!). I plan to buy the 4bbl carb in the following months.

I achieved to sort out all the electric issues/lacks I had and the very last thing to resolve is the lack of dash illumination.
    I repaired the breaker points ignition system but replaced it with a brand new HEI system (simpler and period correct).

For now the engine seems to be in very good health. I will post a new video soon.
    I am very pleased to have not found ANY worring rust on the car. Thats awesome.

I keep you in touch Smile
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 am

Congratulations on getting the car on the road and driving again! It amazes me that you can work on the car (and grind away at the exhaust manifolds) in bare feet! I would be too afraid of getting a metal shard in my feet or drop something on my toes! LOL! Shocked
    stalje
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  stalje Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am

yeah I'm weird somehow geek

I've always been like that. Maybe because I'm from Africa lol!
    stalje
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  stalje Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 am

The Caprice is working great now ! And it begins to be very enjoyable to drive.
    I did a short test to verify the performances of this "little" powerplant :
    https://youtu.be/ihOgPfDj7iA
    Quite good in this 2bbl configuration. I wonder if it will be very different with a 4bbl carb (I already have an aluminium manifold waiting to be installed).
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-741287706f
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-7412880bd5
    Caprice 1977 - I need your help ! Big-7412875da2

stalje
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  stalje Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:27 am

I don't know where to post it but I supposed it could interest you... I did a video about my Caprice : )

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am