GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+6
79treemaster
383Falcon
Sweet Seventy9
solo79
GM B-Body Forum
Myloth
10 posters

79 you have seen before

solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty Re: 79 you have seen before

Post  solo79 Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Myloth wrote:Found a motor this morning wrapped in plastic in my yard, Santa came early?

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_DSC01444

But then I looked on the side of my house and seen a 2004r and I knew I forgot that trip to

the yard yesterday.

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_DSC01443

Package deal 350 Goodwrench and 2004r for one money from local yard.

They need cleaning but price was cheap (400ish) and delivered to my door. The 2004r is from a late 80s

Monte Carlo it's had some work to it the guy used to race it. And the 350 is solid fired up first turn with

nothing but gas and it had an old quadrajet on it that doesn't look to fresh. Same for plugs etc

poor maintenance but low miles Crate motor for cheap I'll take it. So far looks good inside the lifter valley

and heads are clean. I have to replace all accessories but that was a must do anyway for decent look.

PS

I think Gm's weight thrown round of 575 for a 350 is with fluids and everything. I stripped it to the long block and

I can pick up one side rather easily no way that's over 300. maybe 310  maybe.  I am figuring all this as I don't have lift

handy but do have an engine stand debating whether to take off the heads may have to.

Very nice!! Don't hurt your back. I can barely pick up a bare 350 block by myself, but can if I have to. If you're trying to get it on a stand, go ahead and take the heads off and get one other person to help you. Bolt your engine stand plate/pipe to the block first, then you and one other person can easily lift it up and slide it into the stand. I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself, not even a bare block. One false move and you could get hurt real bad. Taking the heads off will make it a lot lighter and you may as well put new head gaskets on since they are not that expensive. The crank is still going to make it quite heavy, so be careful.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:49 pm

I didn't have to pull the heads I asked a few friend to help used a 2x6 and some chain it's on there now. It probably needs a new pan it got roughed up  pretty badly being moved ,no huge dents lots of little ones.I'd guess at a dry weight of 340-45 maybe witht the heads I think I under estimated a tad. My friends were a little quick they under estimated as well but a quick save and it's ok. Yeah
    thanks it's a Mexican Goodwrench I'm guessing 25-30k on it from inside the heads. It idled strong with no smoke so should it be good.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty Ignobe Job

Post  Myloth Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Since this can be a Father\Son project I have given my 17 yr old the ignoble job of degreasing the engine. This task he does with

such vitality and enthusiasm it brings a tear to my eye. (I wish) Still a good start I am replacing the timing set, balancer tape

(I need clear marks), valve covers,oil pan,rear main seal and gaskets and the aforementioned accessories. I think that should do it,I

hope  to get installed by next week.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Myloth wrote:Since this can be a Father\Son project I have given my 17 yr old the ignoble job of degreasing the engine. This task he does with

such vitality and enthusiasm it brings a tear to my eye. (I wish) Still a good start I am replacing the timing set, balancer tape

(I need clear marks), valve covers,oil pan,rear main seal and gaskets and the aforementioned accessories. I think that should do it,I

hope  to get installed by next week.

Have any plans to paint the engine while it's apart? If so, I'd recommend an engine painting kit from POR-15. They have several colors and everything you need to do it and when complete and done exactly as directed, the paint will be on there forever. I painted my 327 orange with it and over 2 years now and it looks as good as the day I did it and you can wipe it down with a damp cloth. No burn off, no peeling or cracking. It's rock hard paint. The kit will only cost about 50-60.00 with shipping right to your door. It takes about a day to do it, but it's worth it.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Yes if you do paint it use por15. Ive used the engine enamel from the local parts stores, and it works very well, it just doesnt last and if you barely nick it, it chips, but other than that sounds like a great father son project, not too much of that kind of stuff happens anymore, since the old cars are "dying" off, well....being killed off should i say.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 am

I will have to check out the POR-15 then, I can't promise Chevy Orange though hehe. I just came back from yard and

picked up a large double Hump crossmember laying int the back of a 70s El camino for 30 bills it measures 58" but with a

little trimming I think it will work. It will go straight across like they did with the A bodies double hump or single. Also I will

probably have to alter the mount for a 200-4r but my metal fab skills slight as they are can come up with something.

Actually it measures close to 57" and I'm getting  close to 57" across the rails maybe it came from an A body. Might be

perfect fit we'll see. Ok lol A 73 El Camino is an A body and that's prob where that came from then maybe it

was 454in it's former life.(I think the Elkys were modified A body though and this probably came from a B body

(old)or A bod Chevelle etc it's way too wide most of the Elky crossmembers are narrower that I seen online.

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_DSC01448

Here it is freshened a tad

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_crossmember

Last edited by Myloth on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty Who says Drums aren't sexy?

Post  Myloth Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:24 pm

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_DSC01451

I primed these black and then painted them with Duplicolor Red Caliper Paint and wow in the pic they look brighter than

they came out, which is a really cool shade of burgundy red.

Here are the brakes completed.

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141007_132345

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141007_132338

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141007_132324
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty Sick

Post  Myloth Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Well not a lot done this past week or so I have been feeling not so good for the past week. I hope to get the

rearend done this weekend though. I had little problem with water pump bolt and a broken extractor lol and now

waiting for some Carbide and diamond bits as those extractors you can not drill through with a regular bit even

cobalt ugh. No way to drill around it either what a PITA never should have used it I have 2 sets of tap and dies

that was a moment of really poor judgment on my part. Anyway I will throw up some pics this weekend of the

little progress I have made lol. The Car show last weekend in Ballston did give me a few good ideas though.....

solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Do I spy a top color change in your avatar or am I seeing things?  It looks black and it looks awesome in that picture.  I need a larger photo for sure.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Indeed yes I hit the Vinyl with the Duplicolor Black and looks good lots of positive feedback from people.

Unfortunately Duplicolor doesn't fill the cracks but at 10 yards the top looks smoking!

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_2014-10-11-IMP-1
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Oh yea, the black color top looks killer on there.  Looks great man!  I'm really digging that.  I've been toying with the notion of a black vinyl top on mine to go with my black interior or maybe even paint the top of my car.  I tracked down a set of the vinyl top termination quarter trim pieces since mine didn't have them and they are hard to find.  Now, I just have to figure out a way to attach them since my car doesn't have the pegs.  I've got the clips though.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:08 pm

It gives it a very 60s style look in a good way. I was always a fan of black vinyl tops not so much

of the later color choices but to each his own. There's an old guy who has 89 Landau Caprice with 120k

by me I see him here and there and he's the original owner. Nice car but not crazy about the white

top but it's a great original B body. My interior is all black now to match except  I need to do a new

headliner and the trim pieces that hold it.

Here is a pic see the cracks in the top. Also shot of the interior. And the rear

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_DSC01456

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_DSC01458

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141029_175612

Last edited by Myloth on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty Power Upgrade

Post  Myloth Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Since I'm waiting for parts I am going to start upgrading the factory Power which is in need of it I think

I have a 1700w parasitic drain coming from the trunk the only reason the lights don't wink is I bought a 1000w+

battery and 1 farad Cap. Anyhow first I am replacing the factory 4 gauge? battery wire with 2/0 wire.

Check out the difference below I think GM came up a little short although I wouldn't knock this car so much

it is a 79' what did they have for electrical drain back then. Plenty of newer cars using same stuff.

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141028_175505

I was contemplating 4/0 then I thought I only saw that on a diesel and it was BIG

might make the routing difficult so I went to this I think it's a good call , 4/0 is a bit too large for

an easy install.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty POSI REAREND!

Post  Myloth Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Well my Posi rearend is installed!Took most if the day with help but not bad at all.

Here are few pics of the install.

Early Start

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141102_082440

Here's the old crusty and surprisingly light compared to the Roadmaster Posi.

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141102_091336

Getting there..

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141102_105547

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141102_104938

Done!

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141102_120400

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141102_150722

Here the Spacer\adapter I used for the 5x5 to 4.75 conversion

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141102_123704

Still have to replace the rear brake lines as there was a block issue and get an inch shorter driveshaft

but even the E-Brake works! I had a friend help and it took about 5hrs with lot of time messing with

the brakes.The SouthSide Machine arms fit great no issues except I need shorter bolts for the sway bar

to install it. And I have to put the aluminum cover (didn't want to scratch it!)on the differential and add fluid

to it.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:05 am

Looking good Bro! I can't wait to see pics of a burnout!!
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:32 am

Did the trans crossmember fit in there?
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Lol I haven't gotten there yet that's the next task though . I measured the C frame from the inside and it's 56-57"

roughly and this crossmemeber is 56.4" I might have to trim it but not much but we will see.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:25 pm

I should be tackling that soon though I have brake lines and sway bar back in. I went to the place I picked up

the  powertrain and after only 3 min found a GM driveshaft that works and he gave it to me for free yah!

I have my stoog... kaff kaff my son cleaning it up now and have a pair of the HD5 U-joints to match it up with.

Earlier this year I invested in one of those 9lb(it's weight looks like a giant C clamp) u-joint presses I'm glad I did

few turns of a breaker the joints pop right out. I'll never use a hammer again.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty Too Orange?

Post  Myloth Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Too Orange or what?

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141105_121649

Or even too much Orange lol

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141105_121641

Finished

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Th_20141105_153225

Sort of the rearend seems fine but passenger side rear brake isnt right
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:20 pm

OOOOOh, I like orange. Nothing beats Chevy orange! I never thought about painting the transmission orange. My Caprice 350 will be super bright Chevy orange just like my 327, but I was going black with the transmission. Should I just go ahead and paint my transmission orange too?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:30 pm

Looks good, ive always liked chevy orange and the red orange too, looks really good
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks ! I would I even like the orange on the drive shaft it's different I am painting everything though as I live in

the land of salt and what isn't protected turns to rust.Even the undercarriage is about 80 percent sprayed have

to finish this weekend before it really gets cold!
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:37 am

I'm painting my engine GM corp. Blue. I will clean the trans up and shoot it with clear.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:17 am

I was thinking of clear for the tranny but because I don't have a garage I want to be sure it will be protected.

GM Blue is nice I painted all my control arms that color on 96 PA Ultra I used to own it is an excellent blue.

On another note I'm amazed at the smoothness of putting the tranny from Park to drive to reverse been a while

time since I drove a RWD with new U-joints.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

79 you have seen before  - Page 4 Empty LED Signals

Post  Myloth Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14 pm

If anyone decides to buy LED Signals I thought I'd put my experience with them.

They work great are brighter than incandescent and use less power. The biggest issue Hyperflashing

that really fast flash well I used resistors like many recommend and have had mixed results.

When they stop the hyperflashing it is still not quite right and they seem to have issues

with reliability stopping it they work great though to prevent blowouts which can happen

without them some bulbs have them built in though.

However the Flashers they sell like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industries-Electronic-Flasher-Compatible/dp/B00JXLH7CG

It works just like the factory you get the old clickety clack ticking. No recommends for

any specific brand just the type, this type seems the best remedy for hyperflashing

and to keep it factory if you want that OEM sound.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 am