GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+3
Sweet Seventy9
Boogie1468
efladerr
7 posters

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e)

efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 Empty Latest Updates

Post  efladerr Mon May 27, 2019 11:20 am

Hi guys, back to share some of the progress with the car Smile.

installed custom exhaust with two QTP cutouts with two stock mufflers.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 010

Got an impala ss rearend with posi

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 110

cleaned and painted these wheels to fit on the rear end. had to change the front spindles since bolt pattern is different.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 210

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 310

Trying to find a way to mount this ammo box to use it as a center console xD.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 410

Took it to a dyno shop to get it tuned up. as I remember it gave 280 hp on second. didn't get to do a run on third gear.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 510

Crashed the car because why not.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 610

Changed the driver side fender, hood, header panel and core support.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 810

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 910

Got a cowl induction scoop installed since 'm repainting the front end. not functional by the way.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 1010

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 1210

Last edited by efladerr on Tue May 28, 2019 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e)

Post  efladerr Mon May 27, 2019 11:42 am

After painting the car I will start working on the interior and I'm Planing to get This gauges setup by dakota
    and this steering wheel from forever sharp.
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    5th Year Anniversary

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e)

Post  Fierro51 Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm

lookin good man
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:37 pm

what gears in it now
    efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  efladerr Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Fierro51 wrote:lookin good man

thanks man Smile. I didn't change the gears that came with the rearend which was 3.08. Maybe one day I'll get a Detroit Locker with 3.73 gears xD.
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 am

efladerr wrote:
    Fierro51 wrote:lookin good man

thanks man Smile. I didn't change the gears that came with the rearend which was 3.08. Maybe one day I'll get a Detroit Locker with 3.73 gears xD.

yah im looking to do the same if not 3.55s and did you ever get this thing painted?
    efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  efladerr Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:41 am

Unfortunately didn't get to paint yet. I haven't been working on the car for some time now. But hopefully I'll get back to fixing it next month.
    WaterBoyz
    WaterBoyz
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  WaterBoyz Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:58 pm

I'm amazed at you are sticking to this for sooooo long.  Congratulations.

Do you remember which holes you used for the motor mounts?  I believe there are 3 choices.

Also, did you have to make any modifications to the tunnel to get the 4L80E to fit?

Thanks.........
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 Empty Never ending project

Post  terry cronk Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks for the information on the seats.

I replaced my engine mounts also w/polymer filled units.  What a pain to get the nuts started from underneath.  Homemade tool.

Also I put two(each) of the 1/2 self starter bolts in on each mount in the frame.

I will be looking for some seats soon.  Mine are getting old(smelly) and breaking down..
    efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  efladerr Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:13 pm

WaterBoyz wrote:I'm amazed at you are sticking to this for sooooo long.  Congratulations.

Do you remember which holes you used for the motor mounts?  I believe there are 3 choices.

Also, did you have to make any modifications to the tunnel to get the 4L80E to fit?

Thanks.........

Sorry for the late reply but Yea me too I really don't know how I managed to do that. Guess I had more energy back then I feel like I won't have the energy to do it all over xD. plus I was learning and applying at the same time. good times. and there is moore to come believe me I'm just broke now xD.

As for the mounts I used the ones that are used with the 305 engine that had 4 holes in them but I only could bolt 3 of them. but I don't really remember having an other choice to mount them I just had one option to bolt in. you can find their pics in the first page.

And I didn't do any modifications for the tunnel I just went to a custom metal fabrication shop so the could make me a crossmember for it. I was using a modified (more like hacked xD)  old crossmember for some time it worked well but I wasn't satisfied with the way it was at all xD. I guess I forgot to post pics of the crossmembers I used here's some.

this pic was after it was cut from the car to be replaced. I couldn't install the dual exhaust setup that I wanted with this one and it looked like shit xD. it was a temporary solution anyway so it did what we made it for.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 Img_4210

this is the new one. Its made to be bolted in the place of the drive shaft loop. it works well but they had to change the threads sp it could handle the weight.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 Img_4211
    efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  efladerr Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:17 pm

terry cronk wrote:Thanks for the information on the seats.

I replaced my engine mounts also w/polymer filled units.  What a pain to get the nuts started from underneath.  Homemade tool.

Also I put two(each) of the 1/2 self starter bolts in on each mount in the frame.

I will be looking for some seats soon.  Mine are getting old(smelly) and breaking down..

I cant imagine the hassle you went through to change them with the engine in the car. mine didn't have the engine and it took me some time xD.

I kinda regret switching to buckets now xD. I'm planing to find a bench seat thats a single piece if you know what I mean. I think it came in the classics.
    efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  efladerr Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:26 pm

the car was painted and the cowl look so fkn good.

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 4l80e) - Page 2 20200710
    WaterBoyz
    WaterBoyz
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  WaterBoyz Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:59 pm

efladerr wrote:
    WaterBoyz wrote:I'm amazed at you are sticking to this for sooooo long.  Congratulations.

Thanks.........

Sorry for the late reply but Yea me too I really don't know how I managed to do that. Guess I had more energy back then I feel like I won't have the energy to do it all over xD. plus I was learning and applying at the same time. good times. and there is moore to come believe me I'm just broke now xD.

As for the mounts I used the ones that are used with the 305 engine that had 4 holes in them but I only could bolt 3 of them. but I don't really remember having an other choice to mount them I just had one option to bolt in. you can find their pics in the first page.

And I didn't do any modifications for the tunnel I just went to a custom metal fabrication shop so the could make me a crossmember for it. I was using a modified (more like hacked xD)  old crossmember for some time it worked well but I wasn't satisfied with the way it was at all xD. I guess I forgot to post pics of the crossmembers I used here's some.

this pic was after it was cut from the car to be replaced. I couldn't install the dual exhaust setup that I wanted with this one and it looked like shit xD. it was a temporary solution anyway so it did what we made it for.

this is the new one. Its made to be bolted in the place of the drive shaft loop. it works well but they had to change the threads sp it could handle the weight.

I see (post #10) that you used the motor mount adapter plates that are not adjustable.  There are some out there that allow you to shift the engine more to the front or to the rear.  That is why I was asking about what hole position you used.

The OEM transmission cross-member comes in either a single or dual exhaust pipe.  I've seen where people will smash the member to allow clearance for the second pipe.  Looks really bad.  There are store-bought members available that allow dual pipes.  I think the member has to be shifted to the rear to mate up with the 4L80E transmission mount.  Not sure about the adjustment to keep the driveshaft at the correct angle.

Looks GOOD.
    efladerr
    efladerr
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  efladerr Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:36 pm

WaterBoyz wrote:
    efladerr wrote:

Thanks.........

I see (post #10) that you used the motor mount adapter plates that are not adjustable.  There are some out there that allow you to shift the engine more to the front or to the rear.  That is why I was asking about what hole position you used.

The OEM transmission cross-member comes in either a single or dual exhaust pipe.  I've seen where people will smash the member to allow clearance for the second pipe.  Looks really bad.  There are store-bought members available that allow dual pipes.  I think the member has to be shifted to the rear to mate up with the 4L80E transmission mount.  Not sure about the adjustment to keep the driveshaft at the correct angle.

Looks GOOD.

oh sorry I thought you meant the mounts that was on the chassis. but yea I got the ones from holley and they worked perfectly. they kept the engine as close to the firewall as possible which I like. could help in future plans Wink. and yea I found one after market crossmember but they didn't provide anyway of ordering it so I just passed on it. also your right about the transmission needing to be shifted to the back. we did it in a hacky way with the oem member xD. and thanks dude Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm