GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Led Flash Issue

HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Led Flash Issue Empty Led Flash Issue

Post  HeavyChevy77 Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Ive had my bulbs all led on the exterior for a few years already but bought some brighter ones recently.
    I had to put load resistors in the front for the switch back led to work also had to change the flasher to a led compatible one and had to use extra wire to cross the polarity to function. Every thing was working but changed the bulbs from the old smd style to a crew style 5 x brighter than the old ones but now the lights act wonky . they don't flash and i put the signal the front will work properly but both rears will flash. I figured I need a solid state relay which I already ordered the one I put is still a mechanical relay style . wondering your opinions. Also on a side note the tail light sockets have been replaced before (5+ years before I got it) and fail the wiggle test as the turn off and come on so that's getting replaced again.
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Led Flash Issue Empty Re: Led Flash Issue

Post  Fierro51 Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:46 pm

HeavyChevy77 wrote:Ive had my bulbs all led on the exterior for a few years already but bought some brighter ones recently.
    I had to put load resistors in the front for the switch back led to work also had to change the flasher to a led compatible one and had to use extra wire to cross the polarity to function. Every thing was working but changed the bulbs from the old smd style to a crew style 5 x brighter than the old ones but now the lights act wonky . they don't flash and i put the signal the front will work properly but both rears will flash. I figured I need a solid state relay which I already ordered the one I put is still a mechanical relay style . wondering your opinions. Also on a side note the tail light sockets have been replaced before (5+ years before I got it) and fail the wiggle test as the turn off and come on so that's getting replaced again.

any change after replacing the pig tails and relay?
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  HeavyChevy77 Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Pigtails I got were wrong rockauto list the wagon ones as sedans so it didn't fit .
    I pulled up all the wires they all looked ok except for on that is a little loose (cuts out if wiggled) got my test light and made sure the tail and signal terminals were giving proper voltage everything was ok.
    Now a while back when I installed my stereo there was a wire that was for illumination of the stereo since connecting that to the hot wire red to the illumination wire, the dimmer on the light switch controls parking light illumination. That means if I turn the knob counterclockwise just before it clicks over to turn on the interior lights, the exterior lights will illuminate minus the headlights so, I use this as my daytime running lights since I have Switchback LEDs that go from White DRL to Amber signaling.
    Now with running lights illuminated and the left signal on, I started with the outer bulb and rotated it 180 degrees then it was flashing correctly did the same to the one next to it and that flash correctly and the other one stop working correctly then I rotated the one that didn't work correctly and now they worked fine together WTF? How to play a little bit with the other side as well and now everything works although with the running lights off it still makes both rear lights flash together but the one that it is the signaling side flashes brighter in the other one is down when the brakes are applied only the signal side flashes in the other one remains illuminated. Currently I'm using the original Hazard flasher as my signal flasher and it works fine so I haven't put the solid-state one in yet though I might not because it does not make a clicking sound sorry for the long post just wanted to be detailed

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content