GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

Heating problems

Bingt
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)

Heating problems Empty Heating problems

Post  Bingt Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:16 am

Hello guys.

I have a problem with my '78 caprice classic heating system.

The Comfortron is the one with one slider that controls the vacuum valves, and a potentiometer that should control heat.
    When I bought this caprice the comfortron was bypassed by a single dip switch, which only turns on the blower motor. This works.

The connector coming from the car, aswell as the comfortron itself had one terminal that burned through.
    I suspect this happened because of my airco compressor. It's stuck and probably built too much resistance into the cables (?)

Is this possible?

Now, to try and fix this problem i disconnected the airco compressor from the system, manually joined the connector together, but the heating system is not responding to anything this way.

Besides from the vacuum lines controlling the valves (which i know is a pain to work on) i suppose i should be able to get the heater and blower working again.

Does anybody have any information on wire coloring behind my comfortron unit, or even a wiring schedule?
    Perhaps even recognize this problem? I'm a bit lost...

Thanks very much in advance,
    Bingt