GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

Service Bulletin regarding all GM 10 bolts

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Service Bulletin regarding all GM 10 bolts Empty Service Bulletin regarding all GM 10 bolts

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:48 am

I felt as though i should make an announcement, in regards to all GM 10 Bolts, both posi's and open diffs. The pinion cross shaft lock bolt tends to wear out over time as do most other parts, but if the pinion cross shaft bolt gets worn down too far it will shear off as what happened to me. Once that happens the cross pin is free to rock back and forth and cause some serious damage all from a little bolt. Im not sure if there is anything about this regarding GM making an announcement or maintenance suggestion, but im going to go ahead and make one myself. From what i have encountered, i recommend you change this bolt, and the cross pin every 75,000 to 100,000 miles. At this point an oil change would be appropriate also so might as well change 20 dollars worth of parts. Also since your changing the cross pin and lock bolt, might as well change the c clips too, those wear down also but not as bad as the lock bolt, depending on how hard you drive. I have pics of what the cross pin will do when the lock bolt shears off if you click here: https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t168-gm-75-85-10-bolt-common-problem#507
    UPDATE: click HERE to see how to replace your c-clips, lock bolt, cross pin etc.
    Service Bulletin regarding all GM 10 bolts 2014-018
    Service Bulletin regarding all GM 10 bolts 2014-019

Last edited by GM B-Body Forum on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Service Bulletin regarding all GM 10 bolts Empty Service Bulletin regarding all GM 10 bolts

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Obviously the above pic is the new one and a used one. The used one is out of the new rear end i bought from a 96 impala ss, unsure of the mileage, im thinking maybe 70,000 to 90,000 miles. Its worn down a little not too bad, but definitely needs replacement. Im replacing this, the c-clips and the cross pin.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 pm