GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Lowering kit

77classic
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Lowering kit Empty Lowering kit

Post  77classic Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:06 am

I have a 77 caprice 2 door and I am trying to find out how to properly lower the front end but finding a kit is proving to be harder than I thought. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Lowering kit Empty Re: Lowering kit

Post  solo79 Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 am

Welcome to the Forum!!

When it comes to aftermarket parts, lowering kits, etc...  You have to pretend your car is NOT a 77, but rather a 94-96 Impala SS or maybe a 93 Cadillac Fleetwood for example.  Then you can find all kinds of goodies for your car.  Your 77 Caprice shares the same frame and most suspension components with any b-body from 77-96. It also shares the same trunk pan and floor pans. I verified this recently when looking at a 93 Caprice in the junkyard the other day that I'm about to cut out the entire pan for my 79. They are identical.  Most of these aftermarket companies for products like lowering springs, front/rear control arms, braces, etc... only cater to the "popular" cars and don't list the others.  Some of them are flat out unaware that the 77-79 Caprice has the same frame, a-arms, etc. as a 96 Impala SS, Roadmaster, Fleetwood, etc.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Yup. Eibach, Hotchkis, and most other aftermarket suspension companies make parts for us.  Like Solo said though, look under 94-96 Impala.

There's a couple low budget ways too.
    1) cut off a coil (or more)
    2) use these - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SPR4/181201/N1716.oap?pt=N1716&ppt=C0361
    Use 2 on each spring to clamp the coils together.  Most auto parts stores stock them.
    I personally have used them and they work great.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:09 am