GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v)

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) Empty Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v)

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 pm

I finally decided to buy and install a car alarm, and so far im loving it. I bought the viper 5706v 2 way system, this particular model has remote start, but i didnt install that since its not of any use to me. Anyways, it has all the perks of modern amenities which i absolutely love, like keyless entry. This alarm is a 2 way system so if your alarm is triggered the remote fob vibrates and plays warning tones, says range is up to 1 mile, but i have yet to test that. Anyways on to the install, it took me close to week to install working a few hours here and there, my biggest set back was having to order relays that took 4 days. I had to buy 5 relays, 2 for the door locks, one for lock, the other for unlock operation, and 3 for the parking light flash function( 1 for the stop lights, and 1 for front right turn sig, and 1 for front left turn sig. The alarm comes with a double shock sensor which differentiates between light and heavy impacts. On light impacts it sets off a warning chirp, and heavy impacts set off the full alarm, which ive tested and works very well. On the door trigger, i couldnt tap off the wire from the door jamb that goes to the interior lights because I have dome delay and for some reason it interferes with it. I went to autozone and bought a 2 pin door jamb switch (part number: SW90) and put that on the pass side, since the driver side already had one, and what that does is keeps them separated when the doors are shut so no interference with the dome delay, works very well.  I tucked it all behind the glove box and it all fit well. This alarm retails for about 4-$500 at an authorized dealer, but i bought mine on ebay for $175.00 brand new.

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) 20140912

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) 20140913

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) 20140911

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) Relays10

I put the antennae receiver/ status indicator on top of the rear view mirror, this is a dual vanity mirror i bought used on ebay a few months ago, I believe its from a late 80's early 90's camaro or corvette or something lol
    Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) 20140914

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) 20140915

Heres a 2 and half min video of it in action, with my full led conversion:
    383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) Empty Viper Alarm

Post  383Falcon Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Wow, congratulations on the alarm! And nice job on the install! Do you have a link for the video? I've had a Viper sitting in my closet for 4 years but have never been able to find the wiring diagrams or instructions of anykind so it's still in the closet!
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) Empty Re: Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v)

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Is the video not showing up for you?
    Ive got a wiring diagram for the 77-79s but i do believe it covers the 80-90s also on some things, but the door lock system i had to use a test light and figure out what wire went to what since the "optional" door lock wasnt listed in the diagram. Now i tapped in right at the switch on the steering column, right under the little plate with 4 screws holding it up with the air vent in it. But on mine, Black was for the horn, Dark Blue was the right front turn signal, and Light Blue was the left front turn signal. And for the tail lights, i just tapped into the brake light switch, which was White.

Sponsored content

Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v) Empty Re: Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v)

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 7:43 pm