GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

5.3 build with boost

reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

5.3 build with boost Empty 5.3 build with boost

Post  reddtheLegend Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 pm

i'm gathering parts for a 5.3 turbo build on a 89 or 90 caprice. anyone here done it? i've used this as inspiration 594 hp 5.3 build. i'm not planning on 600hp but 450-500 rwhp would be great. this will eventually be my son's car when he turns 16 in a few years (of course with the boost turned WAAAAY down). My biggest question is: has anyone done a t56 swap on their 77-90 caprice? I know this company BigFastCar does this for 91-96 caprices and impalas.  from what i've read on this forum thus far, the 77-90 and 91-96 are remarkable similar.  could their kit fit the 77-90? this would put my build over budget but it would be worth it to shift myself.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

5.3 build with boost Empty Re: 5.3 build with boost

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It's actually simple to convert to a stick.  2nd Gen F-body parts bolt right up.  
    I've been meaning to post a write-up about it for a long time, so I finally did it today.

https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t288-old-school-manual-transmission-conversion-instructions#1468

*edit: whoops, 2nd Gen F-body won' t work for a 5.3

Last edited by Sweet Seventy9 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Welcome!! That sounds like a really cool build and yes, pretty much anything performance and suspension wise made for the 91-96 Impala SS crew will bolt right on the 77-90.  I can even confirm the entire floor pans from 77-96 are 99.5% identical down to every little nook and cranny with the only difference being the 91-96 rear seat belt floor mount holes. The Impala SS has a little difference on the passenger side for dual exhaust and that's it.  Looking forward to more on your build!
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Hey Welcome! Ive definitely thought about dropping an ls into my caprice, but decided against it since i didnt want to do any excessive amount of mods, and ofcourse a budget, but if i had the funds, i would probably do something like that. This article from Super Chevy is worth the read and they used an 87 caprice as the test subject. http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1401-how-to-swap-in-a-carb-equipped-ls-engine/
    reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  reddtheLegend Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:28 pm

years ago (2003-ish) i bought an 88 9c1 caprice with full 95 impala interior and what i'm sure was some suspension pieces form said impala considering how well it handled and the stance was mean.  it even had the 17" wheels. i was told it had a 383 stroker, it seriously hauled. i never gave much thought as to how they got the seats and console into the 88. i missed that car.  lots of people in the DC area at the time bought retired 9c1 bubble caprices and i loved destroying them and showing those rectangular taillights.

but i digress...

Thanks for the link, i hadn't given much thought to carberation.  i had planned on paying someone to do a wire harness but this may simplify things. this build is gonna be slloooowww, mostly due to time restraints and the fact that i'm gonna have my 11 and 13 year old sons helping. the car might be the last thing i get for the build.  this should be fun, and i look forward to learning more about the b-bodies and sharing whatever i can glean from the build.

another quick question. to keep the a/c will i have to notch the frame like in the 91-95's? Maybe there's an accessory drive that will relocate compressor?
    RunswScissors
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  RunswScissors Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 am

I have not done a turbo LS, but I've had a 6.0 and a 5.7L in my 79 Coupe. I actually make swap mounts for the conversion. Here's a pic of my 6.0 setup with carb. Next motor is going to be EFI, maybe boosted, maybe stroker NA.

5.3 build with boost 5643827347065311778_zps3buedw06
    RunswScissors
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  RunswScissors Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:16 am

reddtheLegend wrote:
    another quick question.  to keep the a/c will i have to notch the frame like in the 91-95's? Maybe there's an accessory drive that will relocate compressor?

You have to move the mount cushions back on the crossmember, and clearance the frame a bit to fit the LS AC compressor. Holley makes an AC bracket that fits the compressor in front of the passenger side cylinder head and uses the R4 style compressor that was on the TBI engines. I have a version in the works, but the Holley bracket is very competitively priced.
    reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  reddtheLegend Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:30 pm

You have to move the mount cushions back on the crossmember, and clearance the frame a bit to fit the LS AC compressor. Holley makes an AC bracket that fits the compressor in front of the passenger side cylinder head and uses the R4 style compressor that was on the TBI engines. I have a version in the works, but the Holley bracket is very competitively priced. [/quote]

I will definitely keep you in mind when it's time to get mounts.
    reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  reddtheLegend Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:06 am

The transmission in my wife's passat went boom so things go pushed back farther. good news is I think I've found my B-Body. It's an 89 Custom Cruiser 307, not a caprice but close enough. If I do pick it up Friday, pics will be posted. The parameters have changed a bit since this is gonna have to be a driver for a while. GTO as the family car isn't ideal. So I will be collecting most parts and another car before starting the build.
    I'm pretty excited about the Olds. It's pretty clean inside and out. Needs a headliner (of course) but I do auto trim so that's not a problem. rear disc conversion and lowering wilk be first on the list after addressing any safety concerns. I'd really like to put the Olds on some 20" steelies from Detroit Steel.

Anyway, I'm rambling...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:11 am