GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

Group Purchase??

Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Group Purchase?? Empty Group Purchase??

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm trying to help out everybody here to get parts they need at a great price.  I found a 78 Caprice for sale that's loaded with all kinds of rare and hard to find goodies.  
    You all know how hard it is to find parts in good condition.  Now is your chance to get what you need.  I'm hoping to get several people interested in pitching-in and purchasing the whole car with me.  

Group Purchase?? 00x0x_10

Group Purchase?? 00707_10

Group Purchase?? 01313_10

Group Purchase?? 00g0g_10

Group Purchase?? 00t0t_10

Group Purchase?? 00z0z_10

Group Purchase?? 00s0s_10

I only want a few parts off it totaling maybe a couple hundred bucks.  They are: the (dash mounted) pulse windshield wiper switch, both headlight housings/assemblies, the grill (upper + lower),  exterior rear window trim, both amber side marker lights w/trim, and both tail lights.

Anybody else see any parts they could use or want to get for spares before you can't get them anymore?  

From the Ad:
    "1978 Caprice 2 door, 350 engine, F41 Suspension, A/C, power windows, ps, power seats, power trunk lock, tilt wheel, factory gauge pkg. , cruise control, HD cooling.  Original owner - runs, needs restoration. Car sold as is. Asking $2,800, negotiable."

LOL, it's no where near worth that much.  I think it's worth $1200, tops.  So we'd have to come up with a max of $1200 together. If we get commitments for the $1200, all monies toward parts would have to be paid to me upfront through Paypal.  Then I'll go forward with the purchase.  If the seller won't come down that low on his price, we'll pass on it and your money will be immediately returned to you.  If I get it for less, the remainder will be divided up back to each person in the % of the 1200 they contributed.

I'm willing to pitch-in $200 for the parts I want.

I'm also willing to do all the leg-work to buy it and get it back here.  It's around 150 miles from me though.  The cost of getting it back to my house would have to be split between everyone involved.  I'd be happy to remove the parts you want, package and ship them to you, but you'd have to pay the cost of shipping.  Large items like doors, fenders, and hoods are expensive to ship so don't be shocked if it costs a couple hundred dollars to ship them to you.  Pay my gas, any tolls, and buy me lunch, and I'll deliver up to 200 miles from Albany NY.
    The windshield and rear window are the only 2 parts I won't remove or ship.  The buyer would have to remove the parts themselves.  

So, let's hear from you!  Who wants in on this?

Cadtorque
    Cadtorque
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Group Purchase?? Empty Re: Group Purchase??

Post  Cadtorque Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:34 am

Have you gone to look at the car yet? My '78 4 door needs a header panel, right fender and inner fender. If they're rust free, I may be interested. Unfortunately, from the pic, It looks like the header panel may have rust issues.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Yup, the header panel needs some love.  It has some deep surface rust but no holes.  Probably has rust on the back side too.  The fender is good but I didn't pay any attention to the wheel house.  I think it was in good shape but it would have to be looked at again.

Stuff that caught my eye were the rare factory gauges, rare white, err, Oyster Smile interior, F41 suspension, flawless dash pad, the pulse wiper switch, (I've been looking for friggin MONTHS for a working pulse wiper switch!) and a bunch more stuff.  The car is just LOADED with factory options.

I have to be honest though... I'm having second thoughts about the group buy thing.  It sounded good yesterday, but not so much today.  I thought there would be more of a response seeing as the car is so loaded with rare and very hard to find parts.

Plus, I've had my eye on this 77 for a couple months now.  It's less than an hour away from me too.  IDK though, it's almost too nice to part out.

"No motor or tranny. very clean. no rust. Needs drivetrain and minor cosmetics. Paint is good 20 footer, some dings, interior normal for age needs headliner. $1000.00 obo"

Group Purchase?? 00o0o_10

Group Purchase?? 00r0r_10

Ugh... decisions, decisions.
    Cadtorque
    Cadtorque
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Cadtorque Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Yeah, I don't blame you about the group purchase thing. Once I sent that reply, I started to think about the logistics of the whole thing, and started to have second thoughts.  That black(?) one looks pretty nice, though!

BTW: What do you mean by wiper pulse switch?  Is that the goofy little slider in the dash with a knob for the intermittent function?  The '78 that I just picked up has that and the circular gauge cluster with the vacuum "economy" gauge, and an actual temp gauge.  I'd never seen these things in a caprice of this era.  It also has the heavier sway bars and stiffer springs, so I assume it's the F41 suspension?  It's a big rear swaybar.  Probably the same size as the one on my '95 caprice.  It seems like a pretty well optioned car.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:37 pm

The switch on the dash that operates the windshield wipers. There's 2 types; one for normal wipers with a rectangular knob, and one for cars with the optional pulse aka delay aka intermittent wipers that has a round knob that turns to adjust the amount of delay between sweeps. It's a somewhat rare option and hard to find a working used switch for.

It sounds like the original buyer of your 78 knew what they were doing and checked all the right boxes on the build sheet!! In 78 all b-bodies with a rear "anti-roll" bar had the F41 suspension. (unless someone added the rear bar). Does the bar mount with bolts going in from the sides or from the top?

I just PMd you about the black 77.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:00 pm

That car is crying for some love from you Sweet.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:42 am

LOL, it just might get some love from my cordless impact driver when I take it apart!

Seriously though, I can't make up my mind if I want to buy it or not, it's almost too good to part-out. The fact that I only want a few parts off it comes into play too. Plus, the parts biz is about to drop to almost nothing for the winter. I really don't want to be sitting on a bunch of big parts like doors, etc. either. Small stuff moves fast but big stuff, not so much due to the high costs of shipping.
    I guess I'm talking myself out of it, lol.

The seller dropped his price to $800 too. If I can get it for $400.....
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:01 am

I like the irocs on that, it looks pretty good, id most definitely buy it, you need another one now anyways lol.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 am

Lol, yeah I'm still looking for another driver but this won't be it.  This one has almost no options, poor paint, so-so interior, no drivetrain.  But it does have a posi rear with 4.11 gears!! Smile (or so the seller says) .
    If I can get it for $400, I'll buy it, but I won't pay more than that for a parts car.  I'm going to bide my time.  He's had it listed for months and dropped the price from 1700 down to 800 so far.  Maybe in another month or so I'll see if he'll take less.  The Z28 wheels would look great on my Blazer too.  
    Here's a pic of 88 IROC wheels on my 1st B-body taken in like 1988 or 89.  I'm the tall one. The windows were tinted so dark I couldn't see out them at night!

Group Purchase?? 77bkca10

LOL, that's the only pic I have of any of my other cars.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:53 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing that first one restored personally.  It looks like it's all there and not too bad of shape.  I'd go for that second one Sweet, just buy it and get that over with and build it from the ground up like I'm doing.lol  You'll thank me later.  No need to get in a hurry, just build it slow and how you want it. Don't wait too long though because the race car guys will swoop in like hawks and scoop it up if it gets much lower.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:35 pm

If it was fully optioned I might consider it, but ugh, wind up windows LOL. It would make a good 32V NorthStar candidate!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:08 am