GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

ZDDP and flat tappet cams

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

ZDDP and flat tappet cams Empty ZDDP and flat tappet cams

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Im a fan of joe gibbs driven oil products, been using them for a few years. So going through their website i came upon this and thought id share. Hopefully most of you know by now about the zinc content in oil and flat tappet cams, and how the two havent been getting along in the last 10 years or so. Modern oils will protect a flat tappet cam in a stock (low spring pressure, low lift cams) street driven engine. Once you start racing, changing spring pressures, cam lifts and duration, is where you will start running into trouble with modern oils. Please feel free to read more here:
    http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro/training-center/articles/zinc-in-motor-oil/
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

ZDDP and flat tappet cams Empty Re: ZDDP and flat tappet cams

Post  solo79 Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 pm

That's good advice!  I run Valvoline VR 20W50 racing oil in my hypo 327 flat tappet setup.  3 years strong and no cam damage.  I too was leery about the zinc factor of today's oils when I decided to build an old school flat tappet 327, but on advice from a guy who's been building engines for 40 years, I decided to go with the racing oil. It's actually cheaper than buying regular oil and adding zinc since mine needs 7 quarts.  It's a street car, but it does get played with every once in awhile.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Agreed! Good advice. Thanks for the post.

Back in the days when I used to race we used nothing but Valvoline oils. They were more performance orientated than any of the other main stream oils and was easily available.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:00 am

When i first got the new crate engine, i had the cam broken in on the joe gibbs br30 break in oil, and no problems. Then for the next two years up until now, ive used valvoline vr1 10w 30, with a bottle of zddp plus from eastwood and also good luck with that. But now since im installing heads, much harder valve springs and a bigger cam, i think i might switch to joe gibbs permanently. I used the br30 break in oil again when i did the cam swap, so i still have that oil in, says you can use it up to 500 miles, and i intend to, to make sure the cam is covered and fully broken in.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Good info indeed thanks. I have been debating whether to go with a hydraulic roller cam or for this reason.

From what I have read though the roller cams won't give a stock or close to stock idle and are best suited

to high rpm but if I go with regular hydraulic there is the issue of wear and rpm. Definitely a lesser of two evils

situation lumpy idle vs premature lobe wear and\or even possible failure from crappy oil. In fact I think this motor

I am rebuilding was the victim of low zinc as all the wear was in the bore a sign of low zinc oil.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 am