GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

WTB: 1987 Caprice Coupe Door Shells

Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

WTB: 1987 Caprice Coupe Door Shells Empty WTB: 1987 Caprice Coupe Door Shells

Post  Xtreme Thunder Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Greeting All,

I am actively searching for straight, clean rust free driver and passanger door shells for a 1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Coupe Landau. The current doors are power window, locks and seats. I do not require glass, regulators, trim, or interior panels of such.

I am located in NY, mid-way between Albany and NYC. I do not mind paying shipping/ freight to receive doors.

If anyone has any leads, please let me know!

Regards,
    Joe
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

WTB: 1987 Caprice Coupe Door Shells Empty Re: WTB: 1987 Caprice Coupe Door Shells

Post  solo79 Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Welcome to the Forum Joe! There is only one person I know in your area that might be able to get a hold of something like that for you and he should be chiming in here when he sees this and that's sweet seventy9. Be sure and post pictures of your ride in our Share With US section.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

WTB: 1987 Caprice Coupe Door Shells Empty Re: WTB: 1987 Caprice Coupe Door Shells

Post  Xtreme Thunder Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:38 pm

solo79 wrote:Welcome to the Forum Joe!  There is only one person I know in your area that might be able to get a hold of something like that for you and he should be chiming in here when he sees this and that's sweet seventy9.  Be sure and post pictures of your ride in our Share With US section.

Thanks for the welcome! As requested, I posted some photos and a brief narritive.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:41 pm

Thats gonna be very tough to find. You might be able to find donor doors, but you wont find the shells, unless maybe NOS. But if just the lower portions are rusted out, Classic Industries has replacement lower door skins, i believe they are about 8 inches tall.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Oops sorry, looks like theyre only for the 77-79 2 doors, i swore i seen them for the 80-87 2 doors.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:16 am

Yes, donor doors are most likely what I am going to eventually successfully locate. I've seen NOS doors pop-up from time to time on the forums, but I am not as quick as some others, or just a couple months too late!

Why do I enjoy a vehicle that currently has an extremely limited reproduction support?! Well, hopefully many companies will realize that the 1980's GM B-Bodies are becoming more popular as the 1980's kids are searching for them to restore etc. My brother and I have seen the 1980's GM G-Body become more popular with reproduction support in the last few years, hopefully GM B-Body support will follow!
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Does anyone know if the manual and power door shells for the 86/87 Caprice Classic Coupe are physically the same?

I ran the part numbers I have on some of those gm parts sites (obviously discontinued), but there isn't a different part number listed for manual or power windows, just (obviously) the regulators.

I have located a couple doors, I am relying on photos from salvage yard, but one is power passenger and one is manual driver windows door shells. Two separate yards so they can't physically compare. It appears the 86/87 model year doors have same number, with 1985 being different. I haven't checked the other years coupe were produced for the body style.

If they are the same, it doesn't matter to me as I only need shells, no glass regulators, no panels, etc.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Yeah there isnt a difference between power or manual, the only difference from the 85 and 86 is the door mirrors, they changed the shape of them, other than that its all the same.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Excellent, thank you for confirming my research!

That just opened up more options!
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 pm

DOOR SHELL, LEFT - 1986 Chevrolet Caprice - PN:20581689
    OUTER PANEL, LEFT - 1986 Chevrolet Caprice - PN:20581693

DOOR SHELL, RIGHT - 1986 Chevrolet Caprice - PN: 20581688
    OUTER PANEL, RIGHT - 1986 Chevrolet Caprice - PN:20581692

Have your local dealer do a search using the above part numbers. You may find something close by.

Here's a few leads too.

NOS parts -

http://searchgmparts.com/parts/1986/Chevrolet/Caprice/Base?siteid=218299&vehicleid=13416&section=BODY%20HARDWARE&group=FRONT%20DOOR&subgroup=DOOR%20%26%20COMPONENTS&component=Door%20shell

Used parts -

1986 Chevrolet Caprice > Doors > Door Assembly, Front > Right 2 Dr, electric at Rubin Auto Parts Inc.
    Rubin Auto Parts Inc. , Elmira NY (800) 247-8246

1986 > Chevrolet Caprice > Doors > Door Assembly, Front > Left 2 Dr, electric at Bud's Salvage
    Aline, OK, 73716 Phone Number (580) 463-2204

1986 Chevrolet Caprice > Doors > Door Assembly, Front > Left 2 Dr, manual at Hodges Auto Salvage
    Lawton, OK, 73502 Phone Number (580) 357-6138

I hope this helps.

Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Thank you good sir!

I called and emailed a few salvage yards! Got a couple leads so far.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:47 am

Rubin's had a door, heavy rot on bottom.

Bud's had a 4 door, not a 2 door.

Hodges, need to follow up later today as he was not in the yard or by the computer.

Located a door out of PA, came from their AZ desert location and stored indoors up here. 86 Caprice Coupe passenger door. Needs minor repair from shopping cart dings and a tiny piece of rust bubbles forming above the bottom lip, half the size of my pinky finger tip, which can be mitigated with tin knocking a small piece if I really wanted it 100%, which I would like. The lip itself is perfect. I'll take it to a couple restoration shops for quotes. I'll post photos later. Wish this place had a driver door in same condition! This place was great to deal with, shipping was just a tad less than the cost of the door, but worth it in my opinion as I couldn't pick it up for less.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Located!!

Thanks to all those that assisted in the search for the two great condition 86/87 interchange Caprice Coupe doors I now have in my possession! I now have two great specimens!

Thanks again Randy (Sweet Seventy9) for the driver side door and the other parts I hauled back!

Regards,
    Joe

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:57 am