GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Audio questions

reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Audio questions Empty Audio questions

Post  reddtheLegend Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:43 am

Has anyone here done aftermarket audio in their b-body wagon? If so what were your speaker solutions?  These wagons seem to have the worst speaker placement possible (not a big surprise for something designed in the mid 70's) I'd love some kick panel pods that accommodate a 6.5 component system.  Anyone knows who makes some. I haven't found much that is 77-90 specific. Do the 90-96 fit without modification? Also, has anyone managed to squeeze in a double din. A previous owner hacked up mine to put a newer GM double din cassette deck in. I'll post a pic of it later.
    reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Audio questions Empty Re: Audio questions

Post  reddtheLegend Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:11 am

This is what I ended up putting in:
    Clarion EQS764
    Kicker KSC35 3.5 2-way coax speakers (they claim to take 50w rms which is what my a/d/s does bridged)
    MTX RT2600
    A/D/S PQ10
    Alpine Type-R 15 in a crappy ported box

I have no headunit. Well, it's still in the dash but is disconnected. I connect my phone/tablet to the Clarion's aux input. In the future, the cassette deck will be replaced with a 7" screen for a back up camera.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:54 pm

The only problem I see is the Kicker KSC35  everytime I tried 3.5 in a GM I took them back out and went to at

least a 5.25" speaker. If you have anyway to use something larger do. I am in the process of swapping a 4" pair

of Infinite Reference (reference ha at one time maybe) they were ok but sounded small and thin swapping to

a pair of 6.5s and a 6.5 sub behind it in the door. Find the room if you value your tunes, the 3.5s might work ok

in a  smaller car but a wagon? And the dash 3.5s I call them noise makers all they do is add noise at the

wrong time (reflections)or sound poor better to install good door speakers or pods. The rest sound great I like

Alpine subs they make solid bass.
    reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  reddtheLegend Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Myloth wrote:The only problem I see is the Kicker KSC35  everytime I tried 3.5 in a GM I took them back out and went to at

least a 5.25" speaker. If you have anyway to use something larger do. I am in the process of swapping a 4" pair

of Infinite Reference (reference ha at one time maybe) they were ok but sounded small and thin swapping to

a pair of 6.5s and a 6.5 sub behind it in the door. Find the room if you value your tunes, the 3.5s might work ok

in a  smaller car but a wagon? And the dash 3.5s I call them noise makers all they do is add noise at the

wrong time (reflections)or sound poor better to install good door speakers or pods. The rest sound great I like

Alpine subs they make solid bass.

there's no way anything bigger will fit. Maybe on the passenger side but the hvac vent is so close to the top of the dash, even the kicker 3.5 won't fit. I'm gonna have to modify the speaker cover to get it to fit. Sometime this summer I'm going to try my hand at making some fiberglass kick panels to fit some 6.5 components. Right now, it sounds okay (I credit that to the A/D/S amp), but not satisfying at all. Next is a seatbolt mount for my tablet and nice box for the alpine.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Kick panels are a great idea one I have been contemplating myself. Yeah if those in the dash 3.5s are the biggest I meant

thedoor panels as I said earlier I am putting two 6.5s in each of my front doors of my coupe( doors are longer) but

shouldn't one 6.5 fit your wagon front door on each side?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Placement is critical for quality sound. The closer to ear high, the better sound and imaging for mids and tweeters. Their sound is directional.
    Mount anything but mid-bass or bass drivers in kick panels and a lot of the sound and imaging is lost under the dash, and sounds bad. The same with mounting them in the doors. The sound pretty much goes straight into the side of your legs. Yuck!

Both Kenwood and Alpine used to make KILLER 4x6 mid-bass/tweeter plate speakers for the dash. They probably still make something good. Those in combination with a pair of 1" high frequency drivers mounted on the upper portion of the A-pillars, and a second set mounted to the top of the rear window molding are a fantastic combo.

Midrange, not to be confused with mid-bass, are also directional in sound. They sound great mounted up high on the doors. I had four 4" midranges in each door of my black 77.

Bass is omni-directional, meaning it goes in every direction. Mid-bass and Bass drivers can be placed pretty much anywhere.

I hope this helps.
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:26 pm

i fit some 4x6 mtx speakers but the spot on the dash wont be good for much anything but tweeters. i had those 4x6 off a sony deck and then on a amp and they blew quickly with the extra juice.
    i ended up putting 2" mtx roadthunder tweeters (tho the 4" do fit also and had them in there until i hit a corner hard speaker moved and shorted 15$ repair ea speaker/diaphram)
    i made a lil box to hold some  6.5's under the stereo , eventually i wanna make it again with cupholders and maybe a lil tv and/or use areo ports on the box as its sealed right not
    i used the rear deck cardboard cover as a template on some plywood and used roofing tape as dynomat, worked out pretty good. I used spacers from sonic electronix to cover my goof up on the speaker cut out and now u cant even tell
    i had some 6x9 mtx (tn693) that bumped so hard some thought i had some 10's or a 12
    even with a amp they handled it. I ended up droping one upon removal and it broke so i removed them
    For the low end i got a 12" mtx thunder 8000 this thing hits so hard and i got a pre fab generic ported box and lower end equipment (autotek amp) and it hits hard some times gotta turn it down cause my breath feels short ..lol or i think some thing i broken/breaking and turn it down and its quiet...its a dvc 2 ohm sub and only hve it wired to 4 ohms but can go to 1 ohm if i feel like it but have never so far ...im too scared loljk
    since i had the speakers removed ive been getting tired of tweeter and bass so i bought some planet audio speakers for cheap ($45 for set of 6.5's&6x9) just to have that midlevel sound and they are decent they are a lil cheapy thin leads and woofer build but decent magnet size and they sound good not any bass like the mtx ones i had but good clear sound..i hooked i all up to find my sony decks on its last leg the right side of the speakers running off the deck arent working properly about 10% sound ..i re wired everything to make sure made clean connectiong,solder, heatshrink and nope still the same so now i gotta  buy a new deck .
    reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  reddtheLegend Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:26 pm

i thought about putting the 6.5 woofer in a kickpanels and the tweeters on the doors. then i realized that i didn't want to modify the door panels so they might end up on the a pillars or on top of the dash. I'll get some pics up soon.
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:45 pm

those mtx tweeter fit in the dash but they need a amp cause they are powerful. 
     if u dont wana mod the door panels or pillars build a lil box woth some mdf, fiberglass,and some fleece
    they sound great and give a custom look

Front speakers
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/18/98/28/33/image12.jpg

Rear deck 
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/18/98/28/33/image13.jpg

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:20 am