GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+5
bj383ss
Myloth
solo79
Sweet Seventy9
GM B-Body Forum
9 posters

Bumper tuck

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Bumper tuck  Empty Bumper tuck

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:46 pm

Ill upload pics asap, but thought id start the topic, over the weekend i decided to go for it and tuck my bumpers, and all i can say is wow, idk why they didnt come from the factory looking like that, well actually i do know why, that darn federal mandate for 5mph bumper absorbers. Anyway it looks really good, i was quite surprised to find that all 4 bumper shocks were still under pressure and not just any pressure, HIGH pressure lol! On two of them i cut the whole back piece off and they both shot off about 20 feet, i learned to face it the opposite way after the first one hit me in the chest lol, anyway i found out i didnt have to do that at all, and when i get a chance ill show with pics. But i just wanted to start the thread and encourage anyone that wants to do it, do it! it looks good.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Bumper tuck  Empty Re: Bumper tuck

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:42 am

Before: (i had to find some old pics, i forgot to take pics before i did it)

Bumper tuck  Screen10

Bumper tuck  20140610

This is what it looked like when i first bought it:
    Bumper tuck  Cimg5910

Bumper tuck  20140410

And now the after:
    The front is sitting up high because there is over 100lbs off the front, no cyl heads, intake, battery, etc
    Bumper tuck  20150310

Bumper tuck  20150311

Bumper tuck  20150312

Bumper tuck  20150313

Bumper tuck  20150314

Bumper tuck  20150318

Bumper tuck  20150316

Bumper tuck  20150317

On the bumper filler i had to cut a small notch out in the rear so the rear bumper would fit into it, the front bumper filler, you dont even have to touch.

Last edited by GM B-Body Forum on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:58 am

Now on to the shocks, i took the rear bumper off first and i tried to drill a hole in the back of the shock, that was taking to long so i decided to grind a small slit which was much faster, but in the back of the shock ( ive discovered this is a twin chamber shock the rear part holds all the oil and the front is just loaded with gas) anyway when i cut the back of the shock oil sprayed out for few seconds, but i still couldnt get the shock to retract, it would bounce back to full length, so then i decided to cut the back completely off, and then it finally stayed, but thats when those parts i mentioned earlier flew off and hit me in the chest. Anyway im saying this because on the front, i did it the opposite, i cut a small slit in the front chamber and all the gas came out instead, a little bit of oil came out but not much, i was then able to push it in and it stayed, so all you have to do to make it easy is cut, drill a small hole on the front chamber, the actual part that sticks out from the frame, you dont even have to remove them or the bumpers like i did.

Bumper tuck  20150319

Bumper tuck  20150320

That part with the rod is what shot off when i cut that end off, SO DONT DO IT THESE THINGS ARE STILL UNDER HIGH PRESSURE!!!!!

Last edited by GM B-Body Forum on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Looks GREAT Bro!

We used to use a new 1/8" drill bit for each shock. They went through the steel like a hot knife through butter.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:53 pm

Yeah i had brand new titanium bits but they took their time
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Oh yea, that looks good!! I like it and the more I see it, the more I'm thinking of doing away with the bumper guards too for that smooth appearance. Probably the only thing I would want to remedy is the space between the rear bumper and quarter and the space between the front bumper and fender not being the same. That would bug me on my car. I'm wondering if it's possible to line the back of the front bumper corners up with the turn signal bezel? I'm thinking if I go that far in, I'd have to do away with the bumper shock and fashion a metal plate to bolt right to the frame to accept the bumper. Wonder if there's enough room? Gives me ideas. The back bumper looks like it could just about meet the line of the parking light filler. How much gap does it leave under the tail light panel between the bumper, is it about the same as the front?

I'm glad you are okay after that thing hitting you. I've had coil springs hit me before and it's not fun.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Nice work nothing like new body parts to brighten the day.
    bj383ss
    bj383ss
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  bj383ss Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:21 am

So if I am understanding this right I can just cut a slit and the shocks will slid in? So I don't have to remove the bumpers. What keeps them in place and not sliding back to their original location. I love the way the back looks. I removed my filler piece as it disintegrated. I have racked my brain for many years on what to do back there. This is a great solution.
    `77Box
    `77Box
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  `77Box Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:29 am

bj383ss wrote:So if I am understanding this right I can just cut a slit and the shocks will slid in? So I don't have to remove the bumpers. What keeps them in place and not sliding back to their original location. I love the way the back looks. I removed my filler piece as it disintegrated. I have racked my brain for many years on what to do back there. This is a great solution.

I like te way that looks. But I have the same question.. Wont the bumpers just slide back out?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:58 am

If you pull the bumper hard enough it will slide back out, but they havent moved since ive done it, and ive been driving the car alot lately. If you dont feel sure about it, tac weld a little spot on there, but i can assure you they wont move, with the combination of rust and dirt over the years, it kind of locks them in place when you push them in. Yes all you have to do is cut a slit, or drill a small hole, i used my dremel with a cut off wheel, it cut through very easy . And you dont have to remove anything. Now on my rear bumper i dont have it pushed all the way in, the front is pushed all they way in, but the back didnt look right, so i did it to the raised part of the bumper and it looks good there. When you push it all the way in, the chrome acts like a mirror and you can see under the tail lights, which i didnt care for, unless you took the rear bumper off and painted that small section black, it would probably look ok.
    `77Box
    `77Box
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  `77Box Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Cool I think I'm going too attempt it this weekend while I finish painting my grill. I don't have a welder so I'll probably just use a pin/screw to hold them in place!. Thanks for the reply!
    G_S77
    G_S77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  G_S77 Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:53 am

Definitely looks cleaner.  Pretty sure I'll so this on mine.  Thanks for sharing the info
    iostorm
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  iostorm Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Can you post a photo looking straight at the rear of the car please?

thanks
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Bumper tuck  Empty bumper tuck

Post  terry cronk Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 am

Looks good for that setup.

How does the cylinder stay put without the bumper moving out?

Makes it look and be shorter for garage clearance.

Thanks
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Hey guys, ill get a pic uploaded as soon as I can, and the cylinders stay decompressed I assume because of the rust and dirt build up and its a pretty tight fit anyway, but I've had it this way going on 3 years now and they haven't moved at all.

Sent from Topic'it App
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Here's the pic looking directly at the rear

Bumper tuck  20180313

Sent from Topic'it App

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 pm