GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+5
GM B-Body Forum
Gooched78Caprice
Sweet Seventy9
Myloth
solo79
9 posters

New member...new ride

blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

New member...new ride Empty New member...new ride

Post  blacknred79 Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:51 pm

My name is Ed, and I live in PA. I just sold my '84 V8/5 speed S10 pickup to snag this '79 Caprice before it was too late. I needed to get out of that truck in a hurry before going insane due to the roads becoming so rough around here after this winter. I was also missing my old '66 Biscayne wagon and the various G-bodies that I've owned in the past; so this Caprice seemed like the best of both worlds........a big boat like the wagon with G-body styling! This may be the last car that I buy with the way the car market has been going. I fell in love with this car as soon as I laid eyes on it; and it is as old as I am! The interior is in decent shape; but far from perfect. It has a red interior at least. The headliner is good, the carpet is brand new, and there are no cracks in the dash. It has the factory 305 in it for now....with less than 90,000 miles on the clock. The underside of this car is in great shape; and the floors and trunk look mint. Quite honestly, the car is not as mint as it appears in the photos.........nor as straight. The paint job looks to be a quick cheap single stage deal that is lifting in a few areas around the trim due to poor prep work. At least the car is rust free. I haven't been this happy with my ride since I bought my first car! The wheels will be the first change I make.  I want to throw a set of Corvette rally wheels on the car as soon as I can afford it. I will also freshen up my old 327 small block that I pulled out of my '66 Biscayne wagon before I had to sell it; and dump that in the car......again, down the road when funds permit.

New member...new ride DSC04975-viHosted on Fotki

New member...new ride DSC08876-viHosted on Fotki

The floor mats will get tossed as soon as I can afford another set.

New member...new ride DSC08912-viHosted on Fotki

New member...new ride DSC09059-viHosted on Fotki

New member...new ride DSC08989-viHosted on Fotki

New member...new ride DSC08977-viHosted on Fotki

More photos can be seen here:

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/1/ed_fluck/other_photos/ed_flucks_previous/page17.html
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty Re: New member...new ride

Post  blacknred79 Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm

btw, if this thread needs to be moved somewhere else I am cool with that. I did not know where else to make my first post to introduce myself..........and my car! LOL!
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  solo79 Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum Ed, we're glad to have you! That is a GORGEOUS car!! Looks to be in excellent condition. That's one to hang onto right there. I wish I could find one like that around here. If I could, I'd sell off my restoration project. 327 eh? I like those. I run one in my Trans Am currently.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Welcome Ed nice wheels! 327 sounds great for a motor even if the body is not perfect it still looks damn good in the

pictures.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Hey Ed, welcome to the forum! I'm glad to see you joined! Feel free to DL a copy of the 1979 Fished body Service Manual if you haven't already.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks guys! I really like the '77-'78 Impala coupes the best; but would kind of feel funny back dating this Caprice and turning it in an Impala clone. Not to mention it would cost an arm and a leg! The first thing I need to do to the car at this point is change the heater core. I just noticed it leaking the other day; and was surprised to find that it was only leaking down the bottom of the firewall in the engine compartment. I pulled the carpet up just to be sure. Seeing how I know the carpet is brand new and the floor pans are excellent it would have really upset me to have it leak inside. None the less, I am not looking forward to changing the heater core in this thing. I've read that it can take up to two hours for someone doing it for the first time (not knowing where every nut and bolt is located). It has been around 2 decades since I last changed a heater core! LOL! I am going to have to do it outside too since this boat is too big to work around in my garage.

btw, does anyone have a good idea what gears are most likely in my car? I read that by '79 GM was putting 2.41's in the Caprice and Impalas.......other than the cop cars of course. I wish this thing had 3.23's in it......or something close that gear ratio.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:Hey Ed, welcome to the forum!   I'm glad to see you joined!  Feel free to DL a copy of the 1979 Fished body Service Manual if you haven't already.

Thanks Randy! I'll have to do that........as soon as I can figure out how........and where it's located! LOL!
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Well, I located the files you mentioned; but AVG keeps telling me I'm at risk when I try to run the download installer.....and that it is detecting something bad?
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Here's an idea I was kicking around. If I don't keep the car completely 'old school' like it would have been had I been driving when this car came out; I may go this route.......money permitting. Of course, I am kidding myself into thinking I'll ever be able to afford this Vintage Wheel Works rims that are better looking that American Racing torque thrusts in my opinion. If I recall correctly, these wheels are around $400-$500 each in a 17" size. So, I will most likely end up with my old stand by........a set of 15" Corvette rally wheels........8's out back and 7's up front; or 8's all the way around.

Excuse my crappy photoshop effort! LOL!

New member...new ride DSC08968a-viHosted on Fotki
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Maybe someone can explain to me why one side of all of my photos is cropped off? If you click on the photo it will take you to my Fotki page where you can see the entire photo.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:47 am

blacknred79 wrote:The paint job looks to be a quick cheap single stage deal that is lifting in a few areas around the trim due to poor prep work. I haven't been this happy with my ride since I bought my first car!

I think our cars were painted by the same person. However, from 10+ feet out they still look awesome!

Thank you for sharing this car and the pics of the S-10 you had to say goodbye to make this happen as well. I dig the look with the fotochop'd wheels!
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Gooched78Caprice wrote:
    blacknred79 wrote:The paint job looks to be a quick cheap single stage deal that is lifting in a few areas around the trim due to poor prep work. I haven't been this happy with my ride since I bought my first car!

I think our cars were painted by the same person. However, from 10+ feet out they still look awesome!

Thank you for sharing this car and the pics of the S-10 you had to say goodbye to make this happen as well. I dig the look with the fotochop'd wheels!

Thanks for the props! I believe I put a link to my Fotki album underneath all of the photos in my initial post. You can see more photos of both the Caprice and the S10; as well as some of my past rides like the '66 Biscayne wagon and G-bodies. I like your Caprice! I wish my interior was as nice as yours is. My seats are faded pretty good.......especially the tops of them.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Howdy, welcome to the forum! Again from what others said it looks amazing in the pics, you really cant tell! Yep i can most certainly gaurantee you have a 2.41 ratio, only other option was a 3.08, only way to tell is to either have a tach to check the cruising rpms or take the diff cover off, or if your lucky if you still have the build sheet. Ive always liked the torq thrust series wheels and have been contemplating on putting a set on mine. But the heater core is fairly easy but thats coming from a person whos taking them apart 101 times lol.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:26 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Howdy, welcome to the forum! Again from what others said it looks amazing in the pics, you really cant tell! Yep i can most certainly gaurantee you have a 2.41 ratio, only other option was a 3.08, only way to tell is to either have a tach to check the cruising rpms or take the diff cover off, or if your lucky if you still have the build sheet. Ive always liked the torq thrust series wheels and have been contemplating on putting a set on mine. But the heater core is fairly easy but thats coming from a person whos taking them apart 101 times lol.

Thanks! From the lack luster performance I'd say this definitely has the 2.41 gear ratio out back! As far as the heater core is concerned........how much of a pain in the butt is it to get to without taking the fender or inner fender off like I've read elsewhere on the forum?
    walker45
    walker45
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  walker45 Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:47 am

Very nice caprice , i love the coupes best
    best wishes from poland
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Here are some more photos of the car. I wiped it down with detail spray today since it was getting dusty sitting in the garage. I did start waxing it.....got the roof, hood, and deck lid done. I'll get the sides done tomorrow time permitting. I have not been able to drive it much due to time and money.......and waiting for my new plate to show up from the state. The car currently needs the rocker arms adjusted, a heater core, and a trans leak fixed before I'll be comfortable taking it anywhere.

New member...new ride DSC09548-viHosted on Fotki

New member...new ride DSC09556-viHosted on Fotki

New member...new ride DSC09562-viHosted on Fotki

New member...new ride DSC09570-viHosted on Fotki

blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty Still here!

Post  blacknred79 Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 pm

It's been a long time since I last updated this thread and the car has gone through many changes......mostly subtle. I replaced everything under the car front to back......entire suspension and steering components and the rear end, put the rally wheels and new BFG's on it, a slew of NOS parts like the wheel well moldings, front bumper, header ornament, interior pieces, and a handful of nice used or new parts as well. I still have a long list of things to take care of but slowly getting there. It adds up fast too.......got around $9,000-$10,000 into the car now not counting what I paid for it.

New member...new ride DSC07828-vi
    New member...new ride DSC07837-vi
    New member...new ride DSC07840-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08017-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08025-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08027-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08030-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08034-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08039-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08040-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08043-vi

Parting ways likes this post

blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty A few more pics

Post  blacknred79 Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:52 pm

New member...new ride DSC05306-vi
    New member...new ride DSC07825-vi
    New member...new ride DSC07871-vi
    New member...new ride DSC07863-vi
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:50 pm

Man she sure is clean!!!

blacknred79 likes this post

blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:10 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Man she sure is clean!!!

Thanks! It is a long process. I have all of the interior pieces I need to restore the interior but have to dye them all to match first. I'd love to find some super nice or NOS red trim pieces rather than dying the ones I have but couldn't risk not having the trim pieces at all if I held out for red ones. I have a long list of things to do to the car besides the interior.....like putting the new headers on it and redoing the exhaust system, replace the heater core, drop the front end a smidge to get it leveled out more, etc.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty More recent photos

Post  blacknred79 Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:37 pm

New member...new ride DSC08190-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08172-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08180-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08188-vi
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty "Restoring a steering wheel"

Post  blacknred79 Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:50 am

I spent some time (for a change) working on my '79 Caprice. I had to "build" a correct steering wheel for it (a 2 year only wheel.......since '77's came with the mid '70's era steering wheels and the horn pad emblem, grip inserts, and basic colors changed in 1980). I could not find one for sale over the past 3 years. I started with a late '78-'83 Malibu/El Camino steering wheel and then swapped the horn pad emblem and grip insert out with the correct year Caprice parts I bought off of eBay. The first photo here is how the Malibu/El Camino steering wheel looked when I put it in the car. The Malibu grip insert is like a brushed aluminum. I liked the way it looked but it wasn't correct for the Caprice, which is basically wood grain with a silver border around it.

New member...new ride 66258600_8737138300414227584_n-vi

I baked everything in the sun (inside the daily driver Subaru) in order to get it as pliable as possible. Then I carefully pried out the grip inserts and swapped them over. I had bought a junk Caprice steering wheel (that was tan) to rob for the grip insert and horn pad emblem. I had a nicer horn pad emblem that I bought since and actually used that one instead after polishing it out. It was in excellent condition when I started!

New member...new ride DSC08521-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08522-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08523-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08524-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08531-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08528-vi
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty "Restoring a steering wheel" cont'd

Post  blacknred79 Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:55 am

This was the Caprice parts wheel and the three Caprice horn pad emblems I had to choose from.........after polishing them all up to compare. I went with the one with the best color tone and fewer scratches or air bubbles in the foil lamination on the back side.

New member...new ride DSC08201-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08197-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08203-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08204-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08205-vi
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty Outside pics of the interior/new steering wheel

Post  blacknred79 Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:05 pm

You can better see the steering wheel in the natural light.........I'm pleased with it.

New member...new ride DSC08682-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08683-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08684-vi
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

New member...new ride Empty New front end

Post  blacknred79 Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:14 pm

Finally got the old worn out/painted grille out and put an NOS grille, NOS headlight retainers, and aftermarket replacement headlight bezels in. The bezels are the only aftermarket parts available and are your typical Chinese garbage despite the claim that they are exactly like the originals in fit and finish. Despite them not fitting 100% and the detail being soft (every edge of the detail on the front surface is rounded off); they still present quite well. Most people won't even be able to tell anyway.........you know how many times people ask me at the gas pumps if this is a Monte Carlo?! New member...new ride 1f615

New member...new ride DSC8663-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08696-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08670-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08676-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08686-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08694-vi
    New member...new ride DSC08670-vi

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 pm