GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Super simple but silly, hope you can help!

383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Super simple but silly, hope you can help! Empty Super simple but silly, hope you can help!

Post  383Falcon Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:01 am

Hi guys! I was driving the Caprice a week or so ago and long story short I gave somebody the high beams to let them know they had no headlights at night,as it happens the switch that actuates between high and low beams broke as it will not click back into low beam and my high beams are on. I do have an HID kit in the car but it has been in use for 5 years now with no issues like this ever. (I only use brights to signal) Anyways, would any of you happen to know what the actual switch is called? All I come up with are the turnsignal/control stocks or the dimmer switch down in the dash.. Thanks!!
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Super simple but silly, hope you can help! Empty Re: Super simple but silly, hope you can help!

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Yeah your right its called the dimmer switch and mine done the same thing except the hi beams wouldnt work, took it out and i seen it had melted, they really should have ran relays from the factory, They make kits to upgrade old stock headlight systems to a relay, something im going to do some day, but i rarely drive the car at night.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Super simple but silly, hope you can help! Empty Re: Super simple but silly, hope you can help!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:25 pm

383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  383Falcon Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 am

Hey guys, thank you for the responses! Yes, that is the part that I bought, am I to assume that the switch needs power to operate and that is why it is not clicking? And that if i replace this dimmer switch, that the actual clicking switch where the blinker stalk meets the column will work? Sorry for going over things twice I just figured a mechanical part or spring had finally had it. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:48 pm