GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Rear disc conversion

bossbox
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Rear disc conversion Empty Rear disc conversion

Post  bossbox Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:08 am

I have a 1989 caprice and I just purchased a rear disc brake conversion for it. My issue is I wanna upgrade my calipers and rotors but I dont know what's compatible. The kit came with rotors from a gmc safari and calipers from a 79 eldorado.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Rear disc conversion Empty Re: Rear disc conversion

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:17 pm

That's a messed up kit you have.  It's pieced together from different years parts and will be a PITA to replace the high wear parts.  Doing an aftermarket brake conversion is a lot more difficult than most people are aware of.  Depending on the kit you purchased, you may even have to pull both axles to mount the caliper brackets.  Guaranteed you're going to spend hours and hours just trying to shim the parts into proper alignment.  Also, did it come with a new combo valve?  Probably not.  You'll need one for rear disc brakes. What about the parking brake? Does the kit have provisions for that?

Seriously, you're better off sending the parts back and simply swap out the whole rear end to a Posi disc brake rear with the proper combo valve.
    If you're insistent on only doing the brakes, use the 2nd Gen Blazer setup.   Super cheap on cost and they're a direct bolt on, no shims required.  
    bossbox
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  bossbox Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks for the response! Actually the kit is allready installed and it worked well my issue now is I wanna upgrade the calipers to wilwood but I dont know which ones are compatible with the bracket and calipers that came with my kit which are from a 1979 eldorado. I wanted to upgrade my rotors also but I dont know which ones to get or what rotors are the same as the ones I have which are from a gmc safari.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:52 pm

It sounds like you need to consult with a Wilwood rep.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:25 am