GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

MiniStarter

383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

MiniStarter Empty MiniStarter

Post  383Falcon Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:47 am

Hey guys, I was curious if anyone here is running a mini-starter on their SBC mated to a 700R4? I keep having failed starters and I'm guessing its a combination of the original flexplate (missing teeth) and the starter becoming heat soaked by my exhaust. Anyhow I'm about to put in a SCAT flexplate and powermaster starter but was curious how mini-starters interact with the dust covers of the 700R4. Thanks for any help,  I hope everyone is well and enjoying 2018!
    BrokenBlazerDave
    BrokenBlazerDave
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

MiniStarter Empty Re: MiniStarter

Post  BrokenBlazerDave Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Any of my vehicles that are 168 tooth flexplates have a starter from an older downsize blazer (It fits a bunch of other stuff also but this is what I always remember). The NAPA part number is 4N-5110. I like using this starter because the price is OK, parts stores usually stock it if I have a problem away from home, it is considerably smaller than the original starter and they usually have a good warranty on the NAPA starters. I have it on both big block and small block stuff and manifolds and long tube headers both clear well. If you want a picture of the fitment let me know.
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Kit1078 Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm running a stock mini starter from a '98 tahoe 4wd on a 168 tooth manual flywheel and it seems to be just fine. I did find a stock heat shield for mine while rummaging through some parts off my buddy's van. It's just a little piece of sheet metal that clips over the solenoid, but it seems to help.
    383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  383Falcon Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:32 am

Awesome, thank you fellas for your thoughts. I just pulled the trigger on a clockable powermaster mini starter and a SCAT 168 tooth flexplate. Should have put a new one on when I installed the motor, I've changed the starter (lifetime warranty) at least 5 times in the last two years. This last time I found the armature had carved a nice little notch out of an area of the flexplate that was missing several teeth already.. Lesson learned though. : )
    383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  383Falcon Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

2 months and the powermaster starter is working great. It cranks right up, is the size of a burrito and is ridiculously low in weight. It also  works with both 153 and 168 tooth flywheels, I replaced my alternator with one of their 150 amp-side post alternators almost a year ago and am very happy with both products.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 pm