GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Frt Bumper

dougc383
    dougc383
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Frt Bumper Empty Frt Bumper

Post  dougc383 Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Looking for the 1977 frt chrome bumper, will this bumper fit the 85 model, I have only seen this bumper in pictures, but it is the one with the 2 cut outs next to the frt lic plate mount. this bumper is so aggressive looking to me.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Frt Bumper Empty Re: Frt Bumper

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Depending on your local laws, to retain your directional lights you'll need one from either a 77-78 Caprice or 79 Impala.
    It can be made to fit, but it won't look right with the rest of the front end.  Your header panel is smaller than the 77-79s making everything else higher.  You'll be left with a big gap between your headlights and the bumper, plus none of your existing bumper fillers will work.

I think Classic Industries makes repros of the lower grill inserts.  Maybe install a pair on your bumper?  

Frt Bumper 0a9c_310Frt Bumper 79_can10
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:16 am

Just to give you an idea of the huge difference.  Here is what my car looked like when I bought it.  It's a 79 Caprice with an 80 and up front bumper on it which I removed because it looks terrible.

Frt Bumper 3iey

Notice the huge gap in the grille area and if you look closely, the bumper is actually touching my headlight bezels.

You could put a 77-79 bumper on an 80 and up, but in order to make it work, you'd have to raise the front bumper on the mounts as high as possible (although you're still going to have a sizable gap between the headlight panels and the bumper. You'll have to do a custom center grille or modify yours since your grille extends down farther than the headlight bezels.

You could also change out the entire header panel/headlight and grille assembly with a 77-79, but your fenders will not match since the 80 and up fenders are curved/rolled at the top and have no body line. I've seen this done before and it really doesn't look too bad from far away, but up close, you can tell it doesn't flow well.

The last thing you will run into is this...if you do find a 77-79, you will need all of the inside impact bar and brackets. None of your brackets and inner bumper from an 80 and up will work with a 77-79. I learned this when I bought a brand new 77-79 chrome bumper for my car. They are completely different.

Not impossible, but a challenge and I look forward to seeing what you could come up with.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:45 pm