GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Front Bumper Tuck

79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Front Bumper Tuck Empty Front Bumper Tuck

Post  79treemaster Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:58 am

I have been eye balling that pic of the light blue one with the bumper tucked up flush to the grill. Wanting to know how did they accomplish that? And the rear as well. Has anyone got multiple pictures of the car inside and out? That car looks pretty nice to me. That is the theme I am wanting in mine.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Front Bumper Tuck Empty Re: Front Bumper Tuck

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:08 pm

There's a couple different ways. The one I'm familiar with is drilling a small (1/8") hole in each bumper shock and pushing the bumpers in.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:26 pm

It grows on you quick doesn't it? I too have been contemplating this. I'm not sure I would take mine in that far though. I think it would look better out just a bit. I also don't like the idea of not having some impact shock for light hits at low speeds which go along way in saving the car and yourself I suppose. I'm thinking about modifying the frame horns on mine and relocate the bumper and shocks back further since I'm taking the body off the frame. Thing is, I'm not sure there's enough room for the shocks to retract if they are located 5-7 inches back, so this idea may not work.

If I do it like sweetseventy9 suggests, I'd push it back where I like it and then spot weld the shocks so they can't move. There again, no impact shock, but that would be the easiest way I suppose.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:47 am

I finally did it to mine, all i did was just push them in releasing the pressure in the shock absorber, and it looks stellar! lol https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t386-bumper-tuck#2392

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:26 am