GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Power Accessory BAT

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Power Accessory BAT Empty Power Accessory BAT

Post  Myloth Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:27 pm

The fuse box BAT port shouldn't that be hooked to the Power ACCESS relay?

The box below has both circled.

Power Accessory BAT Th_fuseb

If not and it comes straight from battery why is mine dead?

I kept popping radio fuses and it was because the hookup for the BAT is dead and it was

taking all the power from the fused end. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

I think I forgot the fusible links by the starter no?

Anyhow I will check tomorrow out of light , this fuse box might be a model of compactness

but I'd like to know what simple minded fool picked it's location.

If you ever get a chance to check out the late model Impalas the fuse boxes are

much better located.(Sides of the Dash)

How about CTSY-CLK fuse anyone have blow issues from orphan wires or bad lighter mines blown 4 incl a 25amp

that i used to see if it was slight load issue.(It's not)
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Power Accessory BAT Empty Re: Power Accessory BAT

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:58 am

Ok so the one bat terminal under the power accy is controlled by that fuse or circuit breaker i believe it is but its directly from the bat so its hot all the time, same with the other bat terminals below the ctsy clk fuse, those are controlled by the ctsy clk fuse but are also hot all the time. If its a fusible link and there are two at the starter, most everything power wise wouldnt work. If the headlights work and the tail lights and ctsy clk work then the fusible link is good, if they dont work, but then work after the car is running means that one fusible link is bad.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:38 am

CTSY-CLK keeps popping and that has a lot of odd items  like emissions and map lights etc no?

I am sure there is LARGE short somewhere I am going to try and find it again today. It's weird

because everything was fine one day and all dead the next.

*I think it's the original lighter(I seen a lot of people have same problem with GM lol 1st for me) I pulled it out and

the  fuse is ok now. That's as far as the CTSY-CLK fuse but as far as the BAT it's still dead yet everything else

in the car works. Well except the glovebox switch lol oh well these electronics are pretty old.

Definitely putting a new fuse box in a saner location come spring with all new wire . I have almost everything

I need now but it's too cold for all that.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:45 pm

ctsy clk supports all the lights in the car like dome, hood, trunk, instrument lamps, cig lighter, glove box light, and ofcourse the clock.
    No emissions stuff, other than that it seems kind of odd. Im sure the cig lighter itself was causing all the fuse blows, but the other bat terminals should have power.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Most likely the cig lighter. I can't tell you how many GM vehicles I've had where the cig lighter internally fails or the harness plug itself fails causing you problems. That's the first thing I check/unhook to see if the fuse still blows. I'll either replace it or unhook it. If I need it for GPS or phone charger or something, I'll just buy an aftermarket 12v adapter and wire it in to an auxiliary circuit and hide it out of sight or source a new cig lighter and harness for maintaining factory needs.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:42 pm

Really? You guys have has issues with the cig lighter? Huh. I never had an issue, ever. I guess i've been lucky

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Ive never had an issue either, ive seen on newer cars that have the cig lighter in the center console where coins have fallen in and shorted out, or a charger fell apart inside and done the same. But mines original in the 79, but i dont use it, and it doesnt look like the original owner did either.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:54 pm

Here's the thing I wasn't using the original lighter it was shorting sitting in the socket. I did put a second one

in with a new lighter\map light where the clock was as the clock was DOA. As far as the BAT it's still dead I

haven't checked but there has to be it's own Fusible link as I said no other issues now, strange.......
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:55 pm

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:Really?  You guys have has issues with the cig lighter?  Huh.  I never had an issue, ever.  I guess i've been lucky

I guess I'm just hard on them. I don't even use them.lol I can think of at least 7 instances where I've had problems with them. Maybe because I never use it??
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:02 pm

solo79 wrote:I guess I'm just hard on them.  I don't even use them.lol  I can think of at least 7 instances where I've had problems with them.  Maybe because I never use it??

This is why I like forums so much. This is the 1st I've heard of people having problems with them.
    Mine have always worked or not worked, but never caused me a problem. Now I know they can. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:41 am