GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Cruiser died

reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Cruiser died Empty Cruiser died

Post  reddtheLegend Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:09 pm

I got my 89 Custom Cruiser on Saturday night. I drove it around a bit on Sunday. The fuel level was full when I picked it up drove it home and around town, maybe 150 mikes. Monday morning with 1/2 showing it lost powet and quit approaching a light. i figured the fuel gauge didn't work so i got a gas can and after about 10 min, it fired up. I attempted to fill the tank but it only took 28 bucks at 2.15 a gallon. After that it's been okay, until today. While merging onto the highway, it started losing power and missing, i got over into the emergency lane and it stalled and won't restart. I pulled a code (service light blinked 4 times) not sure if it's 22 or 44.

Anyone have an idea of where i should start?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Cruiser died Empty Re: Cruiser died

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:09 pm

From the sounds of it i would check the fuel pump, code 22 is the TPS and 44 is a lean mixture hinting a plugged injector or faulty fuel pump, it is fuel injected right? It was '87 that fuel injection was standard? I forget which it is, anyway check any fuel related items. When the light flashes it usually indicates misfiring which is due to the lean condition, at least on obd2 it is. I know more about obd2 than obd1 but theyre similar and much simpler.
    reddtheLegend
    reddtheLegend
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  reddtheLegend Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:From the sounds of it i would check the fuel pump, code 22 is the TPS and 44 is a lean mixture hinting a plugged injector or faulty fuel pump, it is fuel injected right? It was '87 that fuel injection was standard? I forget which it is, anyway check any fuel related items. When the light flashes it usually indicates misfiring which is due to the lean condition, at least on obd2 it is. I know more about obd2 than obd1 but theyre similar and much simpler.

The cruiser has a carb'd Olds 307. Thinking back on the symptoms, its gotta be a fuel delivery issue. I used the little key that jumps the terminals to get the code. Eventually it started up. The person I bought it from said that it is almost all original. Maybe I'll just replace the fuel pump and filters one by one and see if that sends the problem away.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Oh well since its carbed then i would lean more towards the electronic metering inside the carb, or again the fuel pump, those mechanical fuel pumps are cheap, id just put a new one on and see if that fixes it first before you have to go deeper, and might as well change the fuel filter if you dont know when the last time it was replaced.
    chevybaby
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  chevybaby Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:03 pm

hey, ive had alot of 307s and cant say ive ever had had a bad pump, although i wouldnt rule it out. if you think its fuel, i would lean more towards a carb or filter issue. check the filter on the frame right behind the pump and also the one in the carb. people usually never change either

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:35 am