GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

Blue 4door

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Blue 4door Empty Blue 4door

Post  Myloth Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 am

Proof that I'm not the only crazy fool in the North Country driving a B-Body in winter time .This was over in Glens Falls this

afternoon, I did not have time to look as I had prepaid for gas and had to pick it up but took a quick snapshot.

Blue 4door Th_20150211_134156
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Blue 4door Empty Re: Blue 4door

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Well its just because they are good winter cars, but the salt eats them things alive. I drove my 84 4 door in the winter when i lived in michigan, but it was already rusted out, and i loved that car.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:57 am

There are a few down this way in C/ and T/Poughkeepsie.

I drove my 1985 4 door in the snow through college, it too was already eaten by the salt! Sure was fun, especially when it had no reverse gear before I had the transmission fixed. Driving around the college to find a pull-through spot was entertaining or finding the spot on the steepest part of the parking lot to coast in backwards!! lol!
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:25 am

Xtreme Thunder wrote:There are a few down this way in C/ and T/Poughkeepsie.

I drove my 1985 4 door in the snow through college, it too was already eaten by the salt! Sure was fun, especially when it had no reverse gear before I had the transmission fixed. Driving around the college to find a pull-through spot was entertaining or finding the spot on the steepest part of the parking lot to coast in backwards!! lol!

That's HILARIOUS! I'm lmoa! I've been there before too!
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:01 am

Before my first '79 became a show car it was my daily driver for about 5 years. I drove that car in snow, ice, rain whatever. Probably the most memorable experience was going to school one day on a snowy/icy road and almost ending up in a creek. The road had a slight hill and then a curve to a bridge over a creek with about a 6 ft drop, well unbeknownst to me there was a patch of ice waiting for me on the other side of the hill and the car went straight right off the road at 20 mph. I stood on the brake with both feet and slid right up to the edge. My front bumper was hanging over the edge and the car was stuck. A teacher who lived out by me at the time saw me standing there staring at my car on her way to school and gave me a ride. The car sit there all day and was pulled out after school. The snow lingered for a few days and you could see my tracks until the snow all melted. The tracks made it look like someone went right in the creek. I was 17 at the time and wasn't laughing, but I can laugh about it now.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:51 pm

My ex's 05' Impala didn't start rusting from factory paint(new) and metal for about 4 years with no follow up on

undercoat\paint it takes time and lack of love to rust.

Rustproofing your cars every year is critical if you don't they will rot and quick. A combination of primer, paint and rubber

coating or some kind of undercoat. GMs original undercoating they did in the 70s and 80s on these cars was rather good but

most never follow up with it, you can't blame the cars or the climate for the rot. I take the undercoat off after 3-4 years

and respray it all over again from primer to undercoat.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:02 pm

Back then rustproofing was actually a dealer option where they send the car out to a rust proofing service, or you brought your car to Ziebart or Rusty Jones yourself.  

These pics are actually documents from one of my cars:  

Blue 4door 11074210  Blue 4door 11074211
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Right Sweet and that stuff works good, my sister's 78 Lesabre had the original undercoating I touched up and

it was spotless the entire time she had the car with no oxidation on the body. I don't think it's as good at least in some

places today I have seen recently from the dealer within 3 years oxidation starts to become a problem with undercoating

at least what they called "undercoating"

On another note I am not sure how the rest of you are doing(Except few) but it's been a bear of a winter here and 2nd

coldest February on record in many areas of the Northeast. This has put a damper on my automotive aspirations and

some of you I'm sure. Spring is coming though in few weeks so I hope we all can get back to what brings us here in the

first place. All I can say is my Impala does a pretty good job in the snow and I have yet to get stuck.(And I have had

neighbors in FrontWD cars get stuck lol.)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content