GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

impossible '79 interior panels

mylilcaddy
    mylilcaddy
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

impossible '79 interior panels Empty impossible '79 interior panels

Post  mylilcaddy Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Yes sir, you couldn't hit it more head on. It's so hot here 9 mos. a year it disintegrates those plastic parts roasting inside the car! Will keep looking for a part out that was garaged for 20yrs. and they may be still there!?! Seen the stickers (which I do need one) but the front of passenger side sill plate is ate up leaving a white powder reside behind like battery acid got on it. Thanks for the comp., Will be a sleeper when I'm done, love the color and stock look. Will beef up original drive train. The Keystones look great on it (sold 'em), got rally rims and baby moons next, then probably settle with wire wheels (like the stock caps it came with). If I can find extra parts like mentioned I'll put them out them for grabs. Can't be much longer before someone catches on they could make a fortune selling parts for our models! Oh yeah, the '94 Caprice Classic rear floor pans dropped right in!
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

impossible '79 interior panels Empty Re: impossible '79 interior panels

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Yeah, the sun bakes the s**t out of them.  I've never heard of any type of protector or coating that can help to preserve them either.  Well, one that actually works.
    The white powdery stuff sounds like white rust.  Um hmm, aluminum can oxidize similar to iron!   Sill plates are pretty easy to find in salvage yards that have older cars.  GM used the same ones in many different models.  Measure yours and match them up.  

mylilcaddy wrote:<snip>Can't be much longer before someone catches on they could make a fortune selling parts for our models!

ROFLMAO! That was a good one! Laughing j/k.   The B-body community has been screaming out for years for aftermarket parts but for the most part we're ignored.  

ps..... "post reply" works better for posting replies. Smile
    mylilcaddy
    mylilcaddy
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

impossible '79 interior panels Empty oxidized sill plates, crumbled panels

Post  mylilcaddy Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:48 am

Well I've never known that aluminum can oxidize til now, it's ugly ,too. There's an unadvertised OLD car junkyard I forgot about with acres of 40's and up cars I haven't been to for quite a while . Called and said he had several 4 door 77-79 Chevys, but never thought to look at other makes for sills.. Will get out there (after the thaw) and see what he's got and let ya'll know if there's anything left for us B-body guys. When I hit the Powerball I'm starting an 'only for 77-79 Chevy hard to get' parts business! Thanks for the ps.

Sponsored content

impossible '79 interior panels Empty Re: impossible '79 interior panels

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:49 pm