GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+3
Sweet Seventy9
79treemaster
GM B-Body Forum
7 posters

1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers Empty 1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:13 am

This is a pretty cool site, for those who want some serious weight savings, you can pick you up some fiberglass body parts! Heres the link, check it out http://www.artfiberglass.com/auto/6596impala.html also heres a pic of their 4 inch cowl hood bolt on for the 77-79 models
    1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers 79impa10
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers Empty Re: 1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers

Post  79treemaster Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 pm

I will be ordering one of those hoods.  They have a 2" and a 4" cowl hood.  I might have to go with a 4" incher.   I seen they had the fiberglass bumpers listed.  I wonder if you can put those steel inserts that are in the bumpers to go in those.  With aluminum head, water pump, intake and the like I am going to put this car on a diet.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers Empty Re: 1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:22 am

oh im definitely gonna get one of those hoods too, and i was thinking the fiberglass bumpers would just replace the chrome outer shell youll probably drop 40 or 50 lbs just in the bumpers. Since my car wont see much, or ever see the track, ill just keep the original bumpers for the street. Those cowl hoods look pretty darn good on these cars, im surprised. Once i do get one, ill turn it into a real cowl hood induction.
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:29 am

Turning it into real Cowl Induction was my plan as well. That hood looks like it lines up really nice on the one pictured. I wonder if it needed a lot of work to get it that way. I still got to find out how much hood clearance I am going to need with the Big Block under the hood. So that will determine if I get the 4" or 2" hood. Is there a way to keep the chrome outer shell of the bumpers and get rid of the inner one?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 am

I would just go with the 4 inch regardless, i just think it looks great. And im not sure you can with the bumpers, unless you fabbed a piece of steel or whatever and weld it straight to the chrome shell, that might work. Ive noticed alot of cars, (GM cars) that had the aluminum inserts in the bumpers that are corroding away, steel and aluminum apparently dont get along, ive noticed on my rear bumper that this is taking place, and at some point it will have to be replaced. I seen a post on another forum, where this guy woke up one morning to go outside and he found his bumper on the ground, i believe it was a b body also.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:53 pm

bump

I wonder if these guys sell under a 2nd name, VFN Fiberglass.

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

Pics and prices are the same on the items I looked at.

These guys (VFN) sometimes do group discounts. It might be worth checking into if enough people are interested.
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 pm

I am in for the 4" cowl hood group discount if anyone else is game. Let's get some people interested in this. I know it is going to cost at least 550.00 to get it shipped to Ohio. But I am not cutting the hood and patching a scoop in to have it start cracking 6 months later.
    phil.fen86
    phil.fen86
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

1965-1996 Gm B Body Fiberglass Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Trunk, and Bumpers Empty fiber glass bumper

Post  phil.fen86 Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:26 am

i see the site has front bumpers in fiber glass but wht about the rear?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:21 am

apparently they dont have the rear bumper, but im sure they could make one if theyve already got the front one.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:03 pm

The hoods look great nice way to save weight and have great look. Not so crazy about fiberglass  fenders though I'll stick with

steel unless something happens to one . I feel the same with bumpers I'd rather have the weight and know at 10mph it's their fender

and not my front end getting crushed. One time I was in my old 75' Cordoba and bus was in the turnaround I thought I could push

through (I was young) and hit side bus with my fender. Well the bus had a nice seamed dent about 15 inches long. However they

didn't do anything with insurance and I think one reason was it did not even scratch the paint on my car making it hard to prove

anything even with 12 witnesses!(passengers on bus). I'd be afraid to find out how much those 75s fenders weighed lol.

I will admit though to a strong need for a cowl hood that has yet to be met.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Myloth wrote:The hoods look great nice way to save weight and have great look. Not so crazy about fiberglass  fenders though I'll stick with

steel unless something happens to one . I feel the same with bumpers I'd rather have the weight and know at 10mph it's their fender

and not my front end getting crushed. One time I was in my old 75' Cordoba and bus was in the turnaround I thought I could push

through (I was young) and hit side bus with my fender. Well the bus had a nice seamed dent about 15 inches long. However they

didn't do anything with insurance and I think one reason was it did not even scratch the paint on my car making it hard to prove

anything even with 12 witnesses!(passengers on bus). I'd be afraid to find out how much those 75s fenders weighed lol.

I will admit though to a strong need for a cowl hood that has yet to be met.

I'm with you. I much prefer the steel bumpers. When I was 17 driving my first Caprice to prom, I was rear-ended by a 90s Ford Thunderbird and you couldn't really tell I was hit that much. The Thunderbird was completely totaled pushing the hood and fenders in so much the engine was through the firewall pushing the dash inside upward. I had a couple scrapes off the chrome and the bumper was a little crooked with one cracked tailight bezel and that was it. She was drunk and her car went on a flatbed and I drove mine home and had it fixed in a few days.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Yeah that is one of the big appeals of these older cars to me steel rather than fiberglass and plastic.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:29 am

i also was rear ended in my 84 caprice 4 door, about 4 years ago, and i forget the truck, but i think it was a mid 90's c1500 which also has a steel bumper. I was at a stop light and he hit me probably around 25-30mph, when it happened i thought my car was gone, and when i got out and checked, no damage, only the bumper was pushed in, and his bumper was completely smashed. Once i got home, i kicked the bumper out and good as new. Love these cars
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:51 pm

Does anyone make steel cowl hoods for these cars
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:37 pm

I don't know about a steel cowl hood , but the link is dead sites still there no links to anything other than

trucks, camaros chevelles etc .
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:47 pm

Myloth wrote:I don't know about a steel cowl hood , but the link is dead sites still there no links to anything other than

trucks, camaros chevelles etc .
    Thats the problem ihad when searching for them
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 am

Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Doesnt look like they have steel Neutral

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 am