GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

New member checking in

octopusmotor
    octopusmotor
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

New member checking in Empty New member checking in

Post  octopusmotor Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 pm

hello all --

I wanted to introduce myself as a new member and fellow B-body owner, twice over - a '79 Caprice Classic sedan and an '83 Olds Delta 88 Royale sedan. They were my first and second cars, both inherited, and I couldn't bear to part with them. They've been parked since the late '90s and I'm now able to give them some care - but I have my work cut out in the usual B-body trouble spots, as I've found in initial assessment. They're not basket cases, but they'll definitely build skills and character. Fortunately, my dad restores tractors and has a very nice shop for doing that, and I think is secretly kind of geeked at the prospect of working with me on this. The Caprice will be first, for an as-close-to-original restoration as budget and skills will allow; the Olds will follow for a more fun build once the Chevy's done, but another topic for another time. Very Happy

Anyway, I just wanted to stop in, say hello, and thank all of you for the information I've already found here. It's going to be a lot of work but the tips and leads I've found on here already have made me feel better and inspired to do this. I look forward to learning a lot more from this board as I assess the cars' condition and build my plan of attack. Thanks, y'all.

Jodie Peeler
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

New member checking in Empty Re: New member checking in

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Welcome! You found the right place to go.

Help your self to a copy of the 1979 Fisher Body Service Manual. You'll find a wealth of information in it to help with your restoration.

https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t51-1979-fisher-body-service-manual

octopusmotor
    octopusmotor
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  octopusmotor Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:48 am

Thank you very much for the kind welcome - and for the link to the Fisher manual. That's the jackpot right there, and I now know what I'll be reading for the next several weeks!

I hope to get over to see the cars again soon (they're at the family homestead about an hour and a half from where I live) and get some pictures, and if any of them are any good and/or of interest I'll share in the appropriate forum. Right now I'm having that feeling you have before any epic adventure: you know there's going to be unexpected surprises, some good and some bad, but you can't wait to get started.

Thank you again!

Jodie Peeler
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi and Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you've got some pretty cool B-bodys there!
    Osborn F. Enready
    Osborn F. Enready
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Osborn F. Enready Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Welcome fellow b-body geek. Wink

Look forward to reading about your progress.
    octopusmotor
    octopusmotor
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  octopusmotor Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Thank you both very much for the welcome. The more I read here, the happier I am this place exists, and I'm glad there seem to be so many good folks here willing to help.

I was able to get back over and take a quick survey of the cars today, and take some pictures. I'll start another thread in an appropriate area for that. The Caprice had a nasty surprise or two thanks to a leaked-out heater core and a cowl packed with pine straw and such all these years, will require some cowl and floorpan surgery, but otherwise has held up reasonably well and is a solid restoration candidate. And the Oldsmobile's in a whole lot better shape than I'd hoped, which made me really happy. Things could be a lot worse!

Thank you again, everyone.

Jodie Peeler
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Hey man welcome to the forum. Where in SC are you located? I live in NC. Yeah the heater box is a common rust and leak spot, and of course we got a topic dedicated to that lol, but yes pics are very much welcomed and again welcome aboard!
    octopusmotor
    octopusmotor
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  octopusmotor Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'm not far from Newberry, and work at the little college in town. It's a good life, and one that's now settled enough for me to finally start playing with cars again. Very Happy

When I began to explore the forums and saw the heater box was a common issue, it brought back memories of when the original heater core let go in the Caprice sometime in the 1990s, when it had been given to me...the foul odor in the cabin and the soggy carpet on the passenger's side. I'm glad to know it wasn't just me!

I'm about to post pictures in a new topic from today's examination. I've really got my work cut out in a couple areas, but the rest of the car looks surprisingly good after close to two decades of neglect. I think we can make the poor old beast live again!

Jodie Peeler

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm