GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

headlights shut off

tyler.henehan
    tyler.henehan
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

headlights shut off Empty headlights shut off

Post  tyler.henehan Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Hey guys, ive been having some issues lately with my headlights. Driving around with just low-beams on everything is fine, but if I use my high-beams, after a while they will just cut out completely. when it does this I lose my high-beams, low-beams, and my radio turns off. the issue will go away if I hit the switch and go back to low-beams and everything will come back on. Its just kinda sketchy going down a dark back road and losing all my lights. Ive tried to diagnose it but its hard with it being such an intermittent issue. all grounds seem to be good and I don't see any loose connections or broken wires. just trying to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks
    78i6belair
    78i6belair
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

headlights shut off Empty Re: headlights shut off

Post  78i6belair Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:47 am

Hi there. Have you tried measuring the alternator charge output at the battery when the electrical system is loaded up, ie headlights on, blower motor on high, wipers on, rear defrost on or blower motor? Should be above 13.5v or greater.

I run a 12SI 80amp GM alternator out of a 1984 chevrolet Camaro and increased my alternator charge lead from 14 gauge wire to 10 gauge wire and my charging system rocks!

I do believe their is a built in circut braker in the O.E headlight switch and this might be getting tripped due to a short to power and or ground.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 am