GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

78 Bonneville 5.3L ls swap

wickedrat73
    wickedrat73
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

78 Bonneville 5.3L ls swap Empty 78 Bonneville 5.3L ls swap

Post  wickedrat73 Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:36 pm

I have a 78 Bonneville that sports a 301 wheezer that finally gave it up a few months back.  Originally, the plan was to build a stroker Pontiac and install a built 2004R and just have a toy.  Plans change with life, so now I need a dependable, but some-what fun, daily driver and I have a 5.3L pickup engine with computer and harness just sitting in my shop, so...looks like it's LS swap time.

If anyone has info, pointers, tried and true scenarios, etc., please feel free to post.  My real concerns are fueling, theft deterrent bypass, and my lack of a computer controlled transmission.  I'm really interested in fuel tank swap-ability for fueling.  Is there a stock tank/pump combo that I can retrofit to supply the 60psi I need?
    Or am I customizing an old tank?

Like I say, any input is welcome and if there is a thread that can help me out on this, that would work too.

I'll post pics and specs along the way
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

78 Bonneville 5.3L ls swap Empty Re: 78 Bonneville 5.3L ls swap

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Welcome to the forum! as far as fuel tank swap, you can use the 91 to 96 b bodys, they came with plastic tanks and are obviously fuel injected. We had another guy on here getting ready to do a 5.3 swap, but i dont think hes done it yet. Maybe he will chime in.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Those tanks are yard scores now no? Or can you get them somewhere new? There is no listing on Rock Auto or even Ebay for those tanks at all?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:40 am