GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

BRAKE warning light illuminated and some other questions

Hipster84Olds
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

BRAKE warning light illuminated and some other questions Empty BRAKE warning light illuminated and some other questions

Post  Hipster84Olds Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and just bought a 1984 Delta 88 with 81,000 original KMs.

There are only a couple small issues that I've found so far. One of the bigger more daunting ones being the red illumintaed BRAKE warning on the dash. I'm a young guy so I have no idea where to begin with these cars. I have a bit of automotive knowledge so fixing the issue shouldn't be a problem.

I was however wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where to start diagnosis. I have gathered that the park break tends to sag on these causing a light so I'll give that a look first. Further than that where should I begin?

Also I have a slight modification I'd like to make to the car and that is to install dual exhaust and possibly louden it up a bit. For those who have done this, what do you recommend as far as mufflers (if any) and exhaust routing?

Thank and hope to enjoy my time on here!
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

BRAKE warning light illuminated and some other questions Empty Re: BRAKE warning light illuminated and some other questions

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Welcome!

So first we will tackle the brake warning light. It has two possible triggers one being the park brake, and the other being the combination valve, or brake proportioning valve, whatever you'd like to call it. You'll know if its the proportioning valve because your brakes won't hardly work, that is if you lost pressure in the front or rear brake hydraulic system. When that happens the valve snaps closed to block off which ever system lost pressure, front or rear, and then the light will come on. The switch could also be worn out or defective. Those are the only two inputs that will trigger the light.

Now for dual exhaust, you can check out and see how I did it on mine a few years ago here: https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t10-chevy-caprice-dual-exhaust?highlight=Dual+exhaust

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:43 pm