GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

Rear end interchange list?

blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Rear end interchange list? Empty Rear end interchange list?

Post  blacknred79 Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm

It looks like I am not the only one searching this out here lately. My '79 coupe just puked the 7.5" rear for no apparent reason.......don't beat on it; it's full of oil, axle seals don't leak; yet it sounds like the ring and pinion crapped the bed. This is my only road worthy transportation right now; so I am really up a creek. I would just as soon put another 7.5" rear back in it with the same stupid lazy highway gears (2.41's?) that I think it's equipped with to keep everything as is and not throw off the speedometer. You'd think these rears would be given away for free since everyone wants the better 8.5" rears; but I am sure most of these have been scrapped by now. At this point I need to get the car back on the road; so if anyone has an interchange list for the rear ends I'd appreciate any help you can give me! Thanks, Ed
    rfoll
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Rear end interchange list? Empty Re: Rear end interchange list?

Post  rfoll Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:31 am

Many B bodies came with the 8.5. Cop cars and taxicabs. The bolt pattern is 5 on 5, and won't fit your wheels. The brakes are larger and will likely alter the front to rear braking balance. I was told the early 70s Malibu 8.5 will bolt in, and will have the smaller brakes and bolt pattern. I have to ask why you need the bigger rear end? If you don't put slicks on the car and add a bunch of horsepower, you don't need the 8.5. If the oil has been changed regularly, the 7.5 is good for about 200K before it needs axles and bearings. The spider gears start to flake at about the same time. If a previous owner had a habit of 1 wheel burnouts it will eat the pinion shaft, and everything goes downhill from there. I put 2.73 gears in mine and it makes a happy city/highway gear.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 am

rfoll wrote:Many B bodies came with the 8.5. Cop cars and taxicabs. The bolt pattern is 5 on 5, and won't fit your wheels. The brakes are larger and will likely alter the front to rear braking balance. I was told the early 70s Malibu 8.5 will bolt in, and will have the smaller brakes and bolt pattern. I have to ask why you need the bigger rear end? If you don't put slicks on the car and add a bunch of horsepower, you don't need the 8.5. If the oil has been changed regularly, the 7.5 is good for about 200K before it needs axles and bearings. The spider gears start to flake at about the same time. If a previous owner had a habit of 1 wheel burnouts it will eat the pinion shaft, and everything goes downhill from there. I put 2.73 gears in mine and it makes a happy city/highway gear.

Thanks for the information. That is what I had found out already from reading what I could find on the forum. I stated above that I would prefer another 7.5" rear; not the larger 8.5" one. The car does not appear to have been beat on ever; and it had 89,000 miles on it when I bought it 3 years ago. I've never even tried to do a burn out with it; and don't beat on it at all other than the few times I had to pass someone that was driving way too slow.

If the ring and pinion from a first generation S10 7.5" rear will swap in place of the Caprice's 7.5's a family relative has a set of 3.42's, 3.73's, or 4.11's that I can choose from. Obviously, I would go for the 3.42's at this point to keep it as driver friendly as possible. Can anyone weigh in on this?
    rfoll
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  rfoll Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:35 am

If you use the 3.42, you won't like it on the freeway. It will make you think you added 100 hp.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:50 am

rfoll wrote:If you use the 3.42, you won't like it on the freeway. It will make you think you added 100 hp.

Perhaps not, but if it will get the car back on the road it is better than a kick in the teeth at this point. I do not do much or any highway driving with the car quite honestly; but do drive around 55-60mph on some stretches of country 2 lane roads.
    GLHS60
    GLHS60
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  GLHS60 Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:31 pm

1973-1977 Chevelle, Monte Carlo, ElCamino, Buick Skylark, Olds Cutlass, Pontiac LeMans and G.P.

Most had 8.5" rears, some are BOP, (non C clip), some are Chevy with C clips.

All are 4.75 wheel bolt circle.

Thanks
    Randy

blacknred79 wrote:It looks like I am not the only one searching this out here lately. My '79 coupe just puked the 7.5" rear for no apparent reason.......don't beat on it; it's full of oil, axle seals don't leak; yet it sounds like the ring and pinion crapped the bed. This is my only road worthy transportation right now; so I am really up a creek. I would just as soon put another 7.5" rear back in it with the same stupid lazy highway gears (2.41's?) that I think it's equipped with to keep everything as is and not throw off the speedometer. You'd think these rears would be given away for free since everyone wants the better 8.5" rears; but I am sure most of these have been scrapped by now. At this point I need to get the car back on the road; so if anyone has an interchange list for the rear ends I'd appreciate any help you can give me! Thanks, Ed
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks for the information Randy! That helps! What about the '84-'93 S10 rears? Will the 'innards' interchange? I am sure the housings/axles are not as wide; but think I was old that the ring and pinion are........between an Impala/Caprice 7.5" rear and the S10 7.5" rear.
    plepgeat
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Rear end interchange list? Empty Not helpful - I'm bragging

Post  plepgeat Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 pm

I run a Moser 9" with 3.89s in my formerly diesel 1979 Delta 88 2-door, but I'm also putting down 315 horsepower at the wheels through a 4L80E so I need the beef.

And I wouldn't run Moser again; I'd try to find a GM 12-bolt or use Currie for a Ford 9-inch if I couldn't find one.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Like you said, we have two different 'types' of cars here. I just want mine back on the road for simple transportation and enjoyment before it gets parked in the garage for the winter. My Caprice has what I believe to be the original stock 305.....nothing special horsepower wise; so the 'wimpy' 7.5" stock GM rear will suffice. I am hoping that a family member can come through and help me rebuild the rear at this point.
    rfoll
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  rfoll Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:01 pm

The 8.5 will require a shorter drive shaft. The carrier in your current rear, (assuming the common 2.41 ratio), won't work with any gears lower than 3.08. The S-10 gears will likely work, but the carrier might not have the same axle spline count. This might be a good time to pop the cover off for a good look and a real diagnosis.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:11 pm

rfoll wrote:The 8.5 will require a shorter drive shaft. The carrier in your current rear, (assuming the common 2.41 ratio), won't  work with any gears lower than 3.08. The S-10 gears will likely work, but the carrier might not have the same axle spline count. This might be a good time to pop the cover off for a good look and a real diagnosis.

Thanks! That is the most pertinent information I've heard so far. I have been reluctant to drop the diff cover at this point because I don't want to cripple the car in my garage if it has to go somewhere else to be fixed. I know that I will have a more solid answer on what is wrong with the rear by dropping the cover though.
    rfoll
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  rfoll Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:17 pm

It's only going to cost oil and gasket to look. You can refill using a weed sprayer with a different hose attached. At this point we want pictures of the carnage. There is a tolerable chance the problem is a pinion bearing.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:29 pm

rfoll wrote:It's only going to cost oil and gasket to look. You can refill using a weed sprayer with a different hose attached. At this point we want pictures of the carnage. There is a tolerable chance the problem is a pinion bearing.

I thought about that; and really hope you are right! LOL! I would weirdly prefer to keep the long legged highway gears; despite the hot rodder in me wanting to see how the car would respond to a slightly steeper gear! LOL! I have to wait on a family member who mentioned possibly giving me a hand here with it. I have three crushed discs in my neck; so I am not too anxious to crawl under the car again.
    GLHS60
    GLHS60
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GLHS60 Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:26 pm

The 7.5 S-10 ring and pinion will fit but finding a suitable ratio could be an issue.

3.08 -3.23 -3.42 -3.73 -4.10 were common ratios from 1983-1992, 26 spline.

Some 1988 and newer(7.625) were 28 spline but your 1979 Impala should be 26 spline.

Your 2:41 carrier would be a "2" series and should work with ratios up to 3:08

3:23 and steeper gears require a "3" series carrier or a ring gear spacer.

If junkyard shopping grabbing the complete "innards" might be the way to go including the side spacers.

Thanks
    Randy

blacknred79 wrote:Thanks for the information Randy! That helps! What about the '84-'93 S10 rears? Will the 'innards' interchange? I am sure the housings/axles are not as wide; but think I was old that the ring and pinion are........between an Impala/Caprice 7.5" rear and the S10 7.5" rear.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:58 pm

GLHS60 wrote:The 7.5 S-10 ring and pinion will fit but finding a suitable ratio could be an issue.

Some 1988 and newer(7.625) were 28 spline but your 1979 Impala should be 26 spline.

If junkyard shopping grabbing the complete "innards" might be the way to go including the side spacers.

Thanks
    Randy

You've been very helpful Randy! My wife's cousin should have the complete 'innards' from what he was saying; so that basically answers my other question.

blacknred79 wrote:Thanks for the information Randy! That helps! What about the '84-'93 S10 rears? Will the 'innards' interchange? I am sure the housings/axles are not as wide; but think I was old that the ring and pinion are........between an Impala/Caprice 7.5" rear and the S10 7.5" rear.
    GLHS60
    GLHS60
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GLHS60 Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:37 pm

blacknred79 wrote:
    GLHS60 wrote:The 7.5 S-10 ring and pinion will fit but finding a suitable ratio could be an issue.

Thanks
    Randy

You've been very helpful Randy! My wife's cousin should have the complete 'innards' from what he was saying; so that basically answers my other question.

Right on my friend, happy to help!!

Thanks
    Randy

blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:13 pm

rfoll wrote:It's only going to cost oil and gasket to look. You can refill using a weed sprayer with a different hose attached. At this point we want pictures of the carnage. There is a tolerable chance the problem is a pinion bearing.

I'm afraid you might have been right all along. This past fall I replaced the outer wheel bearings and seals since at least one side was bad; and it appeared that the center pin for the spider gears had excessive play. I now believe that the play in the old pin was normal but at the time we put another used one in that fit a hair more snug, dumped fresh oil in it, and buttoned it back up. The noise still persisted. The car was then parked for the winter and come spring time I pulled it out and started driving it again. At some point (don't recall exactly when) it appeared that the noise went away or at least got much quieter. Then several weeks ago I noticed the noise came back and started increasing over the 3 week span. The family member who helped me tear the rear apart the first time believed that the spider gears were the culprit. I now know that was unlikely; but not before I ordered new ones from Summit and swapped them out a week ago. The noise obviously did not go away. Another close car buddy of mine that I've known for 20+ years came up from North Carolina and helped me swap out the starter and tear the rear apart again. He checked the carrier bearings and couldn't find anything wrong with them. After inspecting the axles were they ride on the outer bearings he was sure that the passenger side axle was bad.....having gone through the exact same thing years ago with an S10 Blazer he had. I just got a new axle in from Summit this past week and swapped it out along with a new bearing and seal. Needless to say that was still not the problem! The rear is not leaking from the front or anywhere else, u-joints feel tight, and I don't think there's too much play at the back of the trans either. So, am I screwed now that I have more than $300.00 tied up into this turd? I could have likely bought a used rear (if I could find one) for less than $300.00; or paid someone to fix it if we knew up front it was the carrier bearing for example. Now I'm tapped out and our daily driver is down for the count too.......and we need the Caprice for transportation. If anyone has any suggestions or more information let me know please.....Ed
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Rear end interchange list? Empty rearend replacement

Post  terry cronk Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm

I have a 7.5 I took out of my 79.  Its got the 2.41 posi.

If you lived close to the middle of Michigan, I'd give it to you.   Surprised

Where are you at?
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 pm

terry cronk wrote:I have a 7.5 I took out of my 79.  Its got the 2.41 posi.

Where are you at?

I appreciate the sentiment.........I live in Northeast PA. I wonder what it would cost to ship it?! LOL!
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:58 pm

terry cronk wrote:I have a 7.5 I took out of my 79.  Its got the 2.41 posi.

Where are you at?

I tried sending you a personal message; but it looks like you've opted out of receiving any messages.

If you have any interest in finding a local shipping company that would truck that rear end over to PA on a crate or pallet I'd be willing to cover the shipping cost if it's reasonable. I believe I can provide a commercial address if need be. I would be willing to give you something for your time as well.
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Rear end interchange list? Empty 7.5 rear

Post  terry cronk Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 am

I just got back on the post. If I knew someone going up there it would be loaded soon.
    I'll do some checking here locally, and try to remember to get back.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:10 am

terry cronk wrote:I just got back on the post.  If I knew someone going up there it would be loaded soon.
    I'll do some checking here locally, and try to remember to get back.

That is greatly appreciated! The noise seemed to quiet down a little bit over the past month; and then came back louder then ever on a trip back from NY this past Saturday. I'm still scratching my head over this. Now the master cylinder is leaking intermittently (likely sucking air into the lines in the process) and the brakes are crappy. The battery puked out on me in NY and I had to get a jump start. I think the car is trying to make me sell it! LOL!
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Rear end interchange list? Empty rearend

Post  terry cronk Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Does Christine come to mind?
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:10 pm

terry cronk wrote:Does Christine come to mind?

I like my Caprice; but I'm not as fond of my car as Arnie was his Plymouth! LOL!
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  blacknred79 Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Terry, any chance of finding a shipper? I found two possible rears in a junkyard out on the end of the state roughly on the Ohio/PA boarder; but really don't want to (or can afford) a 10-12 hour round road trip plus the cost of the rear end and core charge. I'm trying to be patient and not make any snap decisions regarding the rear ends in the junk yard too; so hopefully you will have something good to report back.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm