GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

ride quality with 9c1 or impala ss springs

Screamin'70Impala
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

ride quality with 9c1 or impala ss springs  Empty ride quality with 9c1 or impala ss springs

Post  Screamin'70Impala Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:16 pm

hey everybody ive got an 84 Delta 88 with sagging factory springs it sits higher in the front than the back and drives me nuts anyway i know impala ss springs sit an inch lower and 9c1 sit an inch higher im assuming they are both stiffer than factory springs id like to hear from anyone that has either swapped to impala ss springs or 9c1 springs how much did it affect your ride quality id like the car to handle a little better but im not willing to give up my cushie ride if i wanna corner hard and beat myself to death over bumps ive got a lowerd trans am for that thanks for your replies
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

ride quality with 9c1 or impala ss springs  Empty Ride quality.

Post  terry cronk Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 am

When rebuilding the front end of my 79 Caprice, I purchased the SS front springs and had them installed.

Along with having a set of overload rear springs in.  It does have a more harsh ride along with a 1 5/8" sway bar in front.  And the stock one in the rear.

It handles like a GO-Cart on twisty roads.  If the signs say 45 mph. into a curve I can usually run 60+.  The smooth cushy ride isn't there.

But the handling at high speeds is much better.  Everything in front is new.  Including a 2.5 ratio steering box.

The front end did not drop down.  Possibly with having Aluminum heads, water pump and intake.  All for weight reduction.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:47 pm