GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

78 Delta steering wheel is cocked

Petegresser
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

78 Delta steering wheel is cocked Empty 78 Delta steering wheel is cocked

Post  Petegresser Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:41 am

Yup, darn steering wheel does not come out of the dash straight. It is cocked off to the left and makes me crazy. It's about 2" off to the left, and appears to have been made like that. No, the car has never been hit.
    Anyone else encounter this
    plepgeat
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

78 Delta steering wheel is cocked Empty Re: 78 Delta steering wheel is cocked

Post  plepgeat Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 pm

My '79 Delta 88 does it. They all do that. albino I remember automotive journalists complaining about it in the 80s.
    Boogie1468
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

78 Delta steering wheel is cocked Empty steering column angle

Post  Boogie1468 Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm

The steering column is on many cars, and all B bodies, is in fact slightly off angle from exactly straight forward. The bottom of the column is angled slightly toward centerline of vehicle, and this is to make a straight line from the column to the steering gear. This results in the "rag joint" not being flexed as you turn the steering wheel.
    Petegresser
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Petegresser Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:02 pm

I bought the F2B kit. Not installed yet.
    Uses the pedal Assyria from F body, 4 gen so it's hydraulic which suites me because that is where the LT1, T 56 came from.
    Good instructions included and not expecting any problems at all.
    Petegresser
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Petegresser Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:07 pm

The steering wheel situation is bad! Can't get past the fact that it actually got approved at GM.
    I'm going to have to address it when I do the engine, trans swap.
    Machine-De-Zine
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Machine-De-Zine Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:08 am

This offset angle in the steering column is intentional, and does address a defensible purpose.
    Many Mercedes of that era had this angle even more so.

Consider that most left hand drive vehicles evolved out of an age where manual transmissions were the norm, so consequently most drivers steer predominantly with their left arm.

I happen to prefer this left bias offset because it makes steering easier due to the fact that the axis of rotation of my left arm pivots around the foundational axis of my left shoulder socket and allows the axis of the steering column to better align with the motion of my rotating arm.

I always prefer stick shift cars, so it makes perfect sense. Drive around using ONLY your left hand on the wheel and see if what I'm saying makes logical sense to you.

Next time you drive, see if your knowledge of this design feature contributes to a new appreciation for what engineers strive to do.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:05 pm