GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel

olbaldi
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel  Empty Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel

Post  olbaldi Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:20 pm

I am in the final stages of a complete restomod on a 78 Caprice Classic and want to relocate the gas filler tube onto the left rear quarter panel and add a chevy logo gas locking cap.
    Has anyone done this? Can I use an American Brother Designs chevy logo locking gas door?

Alan Carter
    slimwud
    slimwud
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel  Empty Re: Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel

Post  slimwud Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:22 am

My first question is why. But I understand answer will prolly be why not. It could be done I'm sure but doing so changes gastank design and will limit trunk space sum as well. It's your car do you and be unique but document it. I love blowing millenials mind pulling up to any pump since my fill is in the back so I don't have to wait for a right or left pump because they both work. I work at a gas station and you wouldn't believe the lines that form because people only wanna fill at the pump on the left but those reaches to other side. But be away having one side or the other could become a pain in more ways than one.
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel  Empty Gas filler door.

Post  terry cronk Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:54 pm

By relocating the gas access to the left quarter would eliminate the sloshing of fuel out the neck at the back.

I have a new 23 gallon tank to put in.   By shortening the neck and put a 75-90 degree hose on it and extended to the door would be great.

Those foot brake launches won't waste splashed fuel.  Plus run could then run all versions of the fuel.
    slimwud
    slimwud
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel  Empty Fuel filler

Post  slimwud Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Wow great response Terry. I never ever though about eliminating fuel slosh. I do have issues with fuel slosh anything say less than half tank I have potential to go lean right after take off which gives me a bog which means go put gas or drive like a granny. It's hard to deal with sometimes. Usually I don't get any action on streets but it never fails when I'm low on fuel how many people wanna play. Well I gotta go top off my tank now for fun later. Take care
    olbaldi
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel  Empty Relocate Filler Cap to Rear Quarter Panel

Post  olbaldi Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 pm

The why answer isn't really "because I can" but rather I have driven several B-Body Caprices and absolutely hated having to fiddle with the license plate in the winter to refill my tank. Also I think it will look really unique, especially with a chevy logo gas cap. It's a restomod sleeper with an LS3 480, so I'm not trying to be too picky regarding original parts, etc.

Haven't finished the project yet but will post photos.
    blacknred79
    blacknred79
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel  Empty Re: Relocate gas filler cap to left rear quarter panel

Post  blacknred79 Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:33 pm

If that's the reason (fuel slosh) I can kind of understand; but any other reason seems to be a waste of time and screwing up the good body lines of the quarter panel if you ask me. I think it would be a lot less work to simply put baffles in the gas tank (or buy one with baffles in it) to keep the fuel from sloshing. Nothing like going a mile out of your way to get 3 feet to the right of you! LOL!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 am