GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+3
HeavyChevy77
solo79
GM B-Body Forum
7 posters

Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Empty Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 am

So I got headers and dual exhaust installed this passed weekend, and has completely changed the sound of the car, but for the good! It sounds so much more aggressive than the stock exhaust. Had to notch the crossmember, but it was totally worth it. I used Flowtech 11100FLT headers, had them sand blasted, then painted with Eastwoods Internal Exhaust Coating, both inside and outside of the headers. There were no fitment problems on the drivers side, but the passenger side was a little harder to install. As it is now, the passenger side header hits the starter block which connects it to the motor, it i want to change the starter, the header would have to be removed, or at least loosened (hopefully the starter dont go out any time soon, fingers crossed!) There was also this metal tube that encases the starter wires from the heat, that had to be moved, that part caused alot of problems because we couldnt see it during the install and couldnt figure what the header was hitting, and wouldnt go into place, so we bent some of the tubes because they were hitting the frame, but after we moved that tube for the starter wires, it was all good, and ended up not even needing to have bent the tubes in the first place. Its ran using 2 1/2 piping, siamesed in the middle, and some offbrand flowmaster original super 40 series mufflers. Sounds good with the stock GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor.
    Heres a youtube video of the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caEBbaBiJ48
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6510
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust 2013-011
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6410
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6511
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6512
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6513
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6514
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6515
    Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Cimg6516

Last edited by Admin- 79 Caprice 2dr on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Empty Re: Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust

Post  solo79 Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Very nice setup! Looks great! Gives me good ideas for my next setup when I find the right car.
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Hey man nice work
    On the crossmember notch did u weld new metal in there??...
    I was thinking of getting a flex coupler and shove it between the crossmember and floor plan ..lol
    Will that work too or will it cause too much restriction..
    Thanks8) 
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Thanks man, my step dad did this, he had a huge piece of steel, I think it was half inch thick that he welded in there, completely retarded thick, but its solid and aint moving! Im not sure if id trust a flex coupler in something like that, i would definitely weld in a piece of steel or fab a new crossmember for that.
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Well I was gonna try to shove it between the gap of the top of the cross member and the bottom of the floor pan ..so I don't have to cut and weld the cross member
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 am

I like the engine compartment maybe u could do a how to on the AN lines
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:01 am

ohhh ok i get what you mean now, i still wouldnt do it, it would be to close to the floor pan and im sure it will burn all the undercoating off, and the carpet inside might get really hot too. There is actually another option, you can heat the crossmember to the point where you can bend it, i asked my step dad to do it, and he said its possible but it be alot of work. And there are only two AN lines i have, thats from the fuel pump to the regulator and then to the carb. I said screw it after that, those things are too hard, i just installed braided sleeving on the radiator hoses, and other random hose lines, this is the website i bought it from http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/american/catalog/expandable-sleeving-c-69_70.php
    Vaughn77
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary

Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Empty Just what I was looking for

Post  Vaughn77 Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Last year, May 2012, we lost my grandfather. On the night he passed away, my grandmother gave me my grandfather's 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4-Door Sedan. My dad has been helping clean it up and we have been identifying things that need to be repaired (i.e. headliner and center rear bumper filler). While we have been cleaning the car, I told my dad that normally I am not a "stock kind of guy," but I really wanted to keep the car stock like my grandfather had since he bought it in 1977. However, over time, my dad has got me thinking about putting a dual exhaust on the car, and we both agreed that would like to see it drop down at the very back of the car; as done in the pictures above. I want to thank you for the pics and the effort you took in making this happen...and you have definitely given me some ideas Smile
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Im very sorry for your loss, I know what it feels like, I too lost my grandfather and a cousin last year. When I bought my caprice over 2 years ago, I had intentions of keeping it completely stock like it was. I had finally got the car all ready, new brakes, new exhaust (before the duals) and a few other parts. One day on my way to my first car show with it, the motor spins a rod bearing, and the motor is done. Since that happened, i have decided to forget about stock and just go all out on it, so I have plans that id love to do it, once the funds become available. You know its funny because my dad also got me thinking about doing the true duals, and in fact hes the one that did it, and it turned out awesome, thats why I posted all I could so others could see how to do it, and im glad I could help you out. Ill keep the exhaust this way until I get a real motor in it, then ill have the entire thing redone. If you do, do it please post pics on here if you can, and share your experience, and keep me updated!
    Vaughn77
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Vaughn77 Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:15 am

I am sorry for your loss too. It is cool that both of your dad's have that much influence on us. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I can understand your feelings about going all out on your ride now because of the engine too. I am sorry that after you did all that work, that the original engine blew on you. Sounds like my luck. What engine are you planning to swap in, if I may ask? I showed my dad the pics you posted of the dual exhaust on your Caprice. Since we do not have access to a pipe bender and neither one of us can weld that well, my dad has suggest to me to take my Caprice to a local exhaust shop. Personally, I would like to have the experience of of fabricating the exhaust, but I do see my dad's point that we have our limitations.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:46 am

Expect to pay a pretty penny at a local shop! For the most part you wont have to modify the crossmember like i did, you can have the pipe run right under it if you use headers, but youll see the pip hanging down. Yeah I didnt have the greatest luck with the car the first year haha, when the original motor blew, i got a replacement motor at my local junkyard, a week after i got my car back that motor also spun a rod bearing, so i had just wasted a 1,000 bucks on that and i was stranded again, so at that point, i let the car sit for 4 months and saved up for a new gm crate motor, and it was the best decision i have made, this was over a year and a half ago. 4 new tires, 1 new motor, brakes, exhaust, radiator, carburetor, and many other parts later, we're still running strong!! I would like to drop in a 700 hp 434 sbc, with a th400, maybe a 9inch rear or gm 12 bolt. Id like to do a full body off frame restore at some point. Some wide tires all the way around, disc brakes all the way around, poly bushings, tubular control arms, lower the car an inch or so overall, and just spend ridiculous amounts of money on it haha. I didnt help my dad with the exhaust, all i did was put the headers on and he did the rest, but ofcourse i watched the whole time. Since he works at a shop, he was able to use the pipe bender, welder, etc, I just paid for the parts, the tubing, mufflers, and clamps. This is definitely something you really cant do at home, if you do take your car, take the pics of my car with you and show them, if they dont already know how to do it. I guarantee you they will charge you $500+ not including parts, you might get out under $1,000, best of luck to you bro! ask any questions!
    mikethomas1954
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust Empty Dual exhaust crossmember trans support

Post  mikethomas1954 Thu May 29, 2014 2:41 pm

HeavyChevy77 wrote:Hey man nice work
    On the crossmember notch did u weld new metal in there??...
    I was thinking of getting a flex coupler and shove it between the crossmember and floor plan ..lol
    Will that work too or will it cause too much restriction..
    Thanks8) 
    In installed the 94-96 cross member in  my mothers   91  LTZ  by welding an "L' shaped bit of steel the the frame so the passenger side of the cross member could be bolted on as in the 94-96 cars, its much stronger and makes room for  dual pipes, so now my mom at 85 says  she drives a  Hybrid    " it burns both gas  and  rubber" stay safe. Mike
    walker45
    walker45
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  walker45 Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:01 am

Nice work ... what type of headers fit a 77-79 caprice i ask because i also
    like to change my stock exaust ( do camaro 2 gen headers fit ???)
    thanks for help
    bj383ss
    bj383ss
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  bj383ss Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:26 am

Hooker also makes a set of headers that fit these cars. Same fitment issues as the OP said. I also had to take off a brace on the passenger side I believe. I ended up changing to a GM Performance parts mini starter for clearance but I still had to grind the corner off of the block where it mounts to the engine. I have 2.5" duals out the back behind the rear tires with Flowmaster 40's. I however did not notch the crossmember.

I tried looking up the part number on Summit Racing they don't carry them anymore. I think I got mine from PAW warehouse which is out of business now. I did find all these on Summit though.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1979/make/chevrolet/model/caprice/department/exhaust/part-type/headers?N=4294950308%2B4294951398%2B4294950044%2B4294948820%2B4294924068&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Only pic I have right now of my exhaust. I will take a better one next time I am out where it is stored.

Chevy Caprice Dual Exhaust 15594503199_00b282caa9_bDSCN4916 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Bret

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 pm