GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+2
Myloth
Gooched78Caprice
6 posters

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof

Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Empty 1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof

Post  Gooched78Caprice Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:05 pm

I picked this up a few years back from the second owner. Everything is there and in good shape other than the shoddy paint job. The interior was a solid 7/10 and is on the way to be a 9+/10 hopefully after this winter. I have put in a new seal for the skyroof and headliner. All it really needs now is new carpet some freshening up of a few trim pieces like the arm rest, seat belt guides, rear window trim and garbage can that have started to see a little discoloration.

When I found this I knew I had to have it. It had just under 120000 miles has almost every option available other than cb radio. When you open the skyroof(this is what it was called in the GM brochure in 1978) it feels like you're in a convertible while sitting in the front seats, nothing but sky above your head. It also has the 350 in it for a little extra growl which is great to make the kids feel like we're going fast when you add a little extra throttle.

Plans for future: Update the interior over winter as mentioned earlier. Spring will hopefully bring some new suspension to play around with. By summer Im looking to two-tone this beast with silver and white. However, I am open to all ideas and opinions. Thank you for taking a peek at my girlie but please keep your hands off  pig

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131121

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131123

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131125

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131126

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131127

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131128

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131130

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131131

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131132

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131133

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20131134

Hopefully these are a little better for viewing... Please have patience with me as I'm still learning this whole computer picture posting thingy.

Last edited by Gooched78Caprice on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:33 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : updated with pictures)
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Empty Re: 1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof

Post  Myloth Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Your "girl" looks nice and sounds wonderful. You have to host the photos at say photo bucket or similar and put thumbnail

links in your post. Skyroof hmm I bet that's nice in the summertime.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Hey Tyler, you Lucky Dog!  Welcome to the forum!  

LOL, good timing... I was just checking out this site earlier today - http://oemcats.com/chevrolet/1979/caprice_1976-1981/body_exterior.html
    and saw some NOS parts for the skyroof.  Scroll through the pages and you'll see them.

I've been contemplating buying a parts car with a red interior but I haven't seen the interior yet. Lmk what you need, I might be able to help out.

Randy

The easiest way to post a pic is to upload it from your computer.
    Click on the "Host an Image" button.  See pic, lol.

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Hostan11

Click "Browse" and locate the pic on your computer.  Select the pic and click Open.  The box will close and you'll see the pic file name next to the Browse button.
    Then click "Host it.
    In the next box, copy the 1st URL for a Thumbnail pic, or the 2nd URL for a full size pic, and click "Upload".
    Paste the URL you copied into the body of your post, and viola', pics!

Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Myloth wrote:Your "girl" looks nice and sounds wonderful. You have to host the photos at say photo bucket or similar and put thumbnail

links in your post. Skyroof hmm I bet that's nice in the summertime.

Oh, it's an absolutely fantastic car!! Loaded, just LOADED with options. I don't get excited about too many of these cars anymore, but his gets my heart racing. I wish he lived closer to me so I could go for a ride in it!
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:Hey Tyler, you Lucky Dog!  Welcome to the forum!  

LOL, good timing... I was just checking out this site earlier today - http://oemcats.com/chevrolet/1979/caprice_1976-1981/body_exterior.html
    and saw some NOS parts for the skyroof.  Scroll through the pages and you'll see them.

I've been contemplating buying a parts car with a red interior but I haven't seen the interior yet.  Lmk what you need, I might be able to help out.

Randy

The easiest way to post a pic is to upload it from your computer.
    Click on the "Host an Image" button.  See pic, lol.

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Hostan11

Click "Browse" and locate the pic on your computer.  Select the pic and click Open.  The box will close and you'll see the pic file name next to the Browse button.
    Then click "Host it.
    In the next box, copy the 1st URL for a Thumbnail pic, or the 2nd URL for a full size pic, and click "Upload".
    Paste the URL you copied into the body of your post, and viola', pics!

RANDY!!!! I figured this was you but I hate to assume anything anymore. I also didn't want to add too much info on the winter update since thanks to you I've received some phenomenal upgrade pieces that could get a few people upset with you if they saw what I now have for my interior trim... if they only knew What a Face . My excitement level for what the next year brings with "my girlie" has now exploded knowing I have all of the knowledge of this forum and it's members to look forward to using.

If you can share half of the things that I learned from you in the couple of conversations we shared last year we are all in for a great education on this forum. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I look forward to picking your brain much more now. scratch
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:14 pm

I've been contemplating buying a parts car with a red interior but I haven't seen the interior yet.  Lmk what you need, I might be able to help out.

Randy

You are going to get me in trouble with that link. I've already hid 2 additional skyroofs in the attic that I've came accross so I don't ever have to go on another 9 month search for the right parts if I have any future problems.

As for interior I would love an extra set of red seatbelts, I might be interested in a glove box lid and my headrest fabric is looking a little worn out by the belt guide. These are the main things I've been looking for but I am always into extra parts just in case and you seem to know the good ones to store for those just in case situations.

Thanks to your help I was able to get an amazingly perfect drivers side headlight bucket completely switched out this summer and the Queen's grill is happily secured on all sides not just the middle and passenger sides.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:54 am

Gooched78Caprice wrote:<snip> You are going to get me in trouble with that link. I've already hid 2 additional skyroofs in the attic

LOL, you big Skyroof hoarder!!   Laughing

I'm stupid.... I should have been doing that !!

I PM'd you.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Empty A few ideas...

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Ive been toying around with some ideas for the top of this thing. I am really thinking about going two tone silver bottom with white upper and then for a little extra do something with the landau top a little differently.

I used this beauty for the donor skyroof replacement and originally had me thinking about the top....

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20130310

I also saw this and got the gears spinning some more...

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Image015

It came from this...

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Image017

which I like the stance for when it's parked but keep an older gm style wheel/tire combo.

I am thinking since my car originally had the white top I would go back to a white base color with silver accents or maybe a brushed aluminum paint look with white and silver accents to set off the beautiful skyroof  Razz . For the purist in me and looking to maintain a high level of originality overall I might just go back to white vinyl. The two tone is what is really going to make this work or fail. I guess that's why I would probably go with painted and then cover it back up if I decide that its too much with the two tone and landau top painted up.

I am with Solo on the bagged setup and I am looking at getting started soon since I only have about a week or two of potentially decent weekend weather here in WA state for any more joy rides. I am looking at getting the car on stands beginning of 2015 and to start going to town.

If you're out there Solo and wouldn't mind some suggestions on the bagging process  Suspect  I would love to ask a few questions or maybe get some general advice on the best way to make sure it's done properly. I would much rather spend $ now rather than pay for my inexperience later.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:07 pm

It seems like more and more people are painting their vinyl tops on. I like it! It gives a person so many more options as to the look of it, and it can be changed at any time.

On here, Solo is definitely the go-to guy for airbag/hydraulics knowledge.
    I resisted air ride suspensions for a long time but technology sure has improved things. Recently I've ridden in a couple cars w/air ride, and I'm now hooked. Not so much for the raising/lowering ability, but for the comfort and handling improvements. Now I'm thinking about doing the whole Shockwave setup on my next car.

Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:It seems like more and more people are painting their vinyl tops on.  I like it!  It gives a person so many more options as to the look of it, and it can be changed at any time.

On here, Solo is definitely the go-to guy for airbag/hydraulics knowledge.  
    I resisted air ride suspensions for a long time but technology sure has improved things.  Recently I've ridden in a couple cars w/air ride, and I'm now hooked. Not so much for the raising/lowering ability, but for the comfort and handling improvements.  Now I'm thinking about doing the whole Shockwave setup on my next car.

I've been spending almost the same amount of time on the Ridetech site as I do this one.cyclops

I've been giving the green light from the boss to make this happen so I was hoping with a little help and support here I can make this happen as painlessly as possible.

This package for the 1991-96 impala/caprice looks pretty nice with the HQ upgrade.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1991-96-chevy-impala-caprice-level-1.html

Then only problem is then I start looking at the TQ's and increased line size and on and on... I start to get dreaming and looking way past what my actually needs are... a weekend cruiser. To me it is seems that this set with HQ upgrade would be fine however I'm a noob and don't want to make this more difficult than it needs to be so any shared knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Nice ride man!  I almost bought a skyroof off Ebay awhile back.  Someone was parting out a 2-door and was willing to cut it out for me and ship it, but the shipping price ended up being astronomical and if it wasn't in California, I would have just picked it up.  I might still go that route eventually though.  Another wild idea I had for my Caprice was building a t-top roof. To date, as far as I know, there's not a single 77-79 Caprice/Impala Coupe t-top on the planet.  It's kind of a back burner/dream of mine.  It would require a ton of modification, including the doors. It would also require some huge t-top panels.

As for adjustable suspension, I too am a bit of novice when it comes to air ride, I was more of a hydraulics guy back in the day, but I've been studying up on the air ride systems for the past few years and trying to decide how I wanted to do it.  Basically, since I'm doing a frame off restoration, I'll be building my entire chassis with the air ride system and all while the frame is off the car.  Even though I'm not doing hydraulics this time, I'm still going to box the frame under the doors and reinforce the rear arches over the axle to make the car solid.  None of this convenes until I get the new floor pan welded in and the package tray fixed, then the body can come off and the real fun begins.

The 91-96 Impala setups from Ride tech I believe are a good choice for these cars.  For the most part these systems are completely bolt on and require no welding or cutting.  They don't list our cars specifically, but I can assure you, whatever they make for those years will go into any b-body down to 77.  There are a lot of options, but for a cruiser and being able to raise it/lower it, I think the Level 1 is where I'm leaning.  Although, they have some front setups where each front bag is donut shaped and the shock goes inside of it using the stock shock mounts from a-arm to frame and I kind of like that better.  I think I'm going with upgraded tubular upper and lower control arms too.   One thing I'm going to be looking into are silencers and an engine driven compressor.  I can't stand the sound of the air escaping and the noise of those compressors.  I want it all silent.  Another thing I want to achieve is to have everything hidden from view as in no exposed tank/lines in the trunk.

I wish I could help you more on the install, but I've yet to embark on that.  If you were doing hydraulics, I could explain exactly what to do from start to finish right here in a few paragraphs.  I'm done with hydros though.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:01 am

solo79 wrote:Another wild idea I had for my Caprice was building a t-top roof. To date, as far as I know, there's not a single 77-79 Caprice/Impala Coupe t-top on the planet.  It's kind of a back burner/dream of mine.  It would require a ton of modification, including the doors. It would also require some huge t-top panels.

I'm still going to box the frame under the doors and reinforce the rear arches over the axle to make the car solid.  None of this convenes until I get the new floor pan welded in and the package tray fixed, then the body can come off and the real fun begins.

The 91-96 Impala setups from Ride tech I believe are a good choice for these cars.  For the most part these systems are completely bolt on and require no welding or cutting.  They don't list our cars specifically, but I can assure you, whatever they make for those years will go into any b-body down to 77.  There are a lot of options, but for a cruiser and being able to raise it/lower it, I think the Level 1 is where I'm leaning.  Although, they have some front setups where each front bag is donut shaped and the shock goes inside of it using the stock shock mounts from a-arm to frame and I kind of like that better.  I think I'm going with upgraded tubular upper and lower control arms too.   One thing I'm going to be looking into are silencers and an engine driven compressor.  I can't stand the sound of the air escaping and the noise of those compressors.  I want it all silent.  Another thing I want to achieve is to have everything hidden from view as in no exposed tank/lines in the trunk.

Thank you for the response Solo79. I appreciate your dedication to detail on these. I've been over your build a few different times, it's great reading. I also really like your build pics here as well as on the other sites out there rollin in Solo. Did you ever get your airbrushed dash piece back?

I appreciate the input on this. You helped solidify my main focus areas and I was thinking the HQ Shockwaves, not just shocks was the direction I was going to be going in. I apologize about about my vagueness. That one piece system seems like a good place to spend a little extra $. I will be starting my costing of this project shortly and coming up with my game plan. I will be looking to make all this as hidden as possible as well. My buddy showed me a guy that hid everything under the back of a Tahoe and it was very clean looking and I decided that was the only way to go. I would have already called ride tech but I'm afraid that 16 digits and an expiration might fly out of my mouth and then I'd have a big happy box on the way before I'm actually ready to get started.

My main goal is just to make sure I can get this back on the road in late spring/early summer since I won't be seeing decent weather for another 4-5 months. After seeing your thread I'll be here updating as much as possible as well. You have me intrigued on the silent system idea. I think I'll be looking in to that myself. The Boss gave me nice budget to work with but I might be already looking for a budget increase.lol!  

You're right, that wild idea of yours is way is over the top! jocolor That would be amazing! I believe if anyone could/would do it, you'd be the man from what I've seen. I will see if I can dig up a cool pic I have with my car and a T-top Monte Carlo Aero Coupe hanging out together.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Gooched78Caprice wrote:

Thank you for the response Solo79. I appreciate your dedication to detail on these. I've been over your build a few different times, it's great reading. I also really like your build pics here as well as on the other sites out there rollin in Solo. Did you ever get your airbrushed dash piece back?

No, I never did get that back.  I really wanted it as a token of my former car too.  The guy that had it was going to mail it to me and in exchange I was going to trade my prized Eddie Guerrero red dice for it, but he never mailed it and I never heard from him again.  In a way, I'm kind of glad he didn't because the more I thought about it, the more I'm glad I still have the dice.  You just can't get those unless your car was driven my Eddie Guerrero on WWE Smackdown and since he passed, that doesn't happen anymore and those dice are as rare as hen's teeth.

Gooched78Caprice wrote:
    You're right, that wild idea of yours is way is over the top! jocolor That would be amazing! I believe if anyone could/would do it, you'd be the man from what I've seen. I will see if I can dig up a cool pic I have with my car and a T-top Monte Carlo Aero Coupe hanging out together.

I'd love to do it, but I think I'm going to source a roof from a junk car to "practice" on and see what I can come up with before I decide to cut my prized roof.  The most challenging thing about this will actually be the doors.  The door frames would have to come off and be modified with outer "half" of them removed and the side frames welded to the body with weather stripping on top, so the glass shuts against the rubber like the Firebird, Cutlass, Regal, Monte Carlo, etc...  I'm thinking it would be a killer look to have t-tops and doors with no frames on this car.  I'm still pondering it.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:28 pm

I've wanted to do T-tops since the 80's.  Parts should be able to be sourced from 70s and 80s G-bodies.  

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 00110

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 1973-110

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Gp_t_t10
    I just love the 2-tone!

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 1985_p10

A Targa top would be cool too!

solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:I've wanted to do T-tops since the 80's.  Parts should be able to be sourced from 70s and 80s G-bodies.  

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 00110

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 1973-110

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Gp_t_t10
    I just love the 2-tone!

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 1985_p10

A Targa top would be cool too!

Yep, I've looked at several older cars trying to find a good comparable roof style and t-top panel that would look right on such a square roof, but I think I'd end up fabricating it all to give the Caprice it's "own" t-top style maybe like the factory would have come up with. I'd of course have to have custom glass panels made though. I would even go so far as to have a custom bag made to hold the panels with straps to secure them in the trunk similar to the Trans Ams. Targa top did cross my mind too, but would require much more reinforcing of the body and the frame and somewhere I've seen a Caprice targa before many years ago, but NEVER a t-top. I'm starting to talk myself into this more and more.

Sorry to hijack your thread with t-top stuff gooched. This is supposed to be about your car.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm glad you kept the dice Solo. He was one of the last athletes I followed in the ring and could no longer name more than 2 or 3 of the current line up. He seemed like a genuinely great man from the little you ever hear about these guys behind the scene.

Please hijack, lojack, fully jack or speak your mind on any ideas. This is why I dig this site the way you all seem to have passion for these cars. I know my love for these started at 14 so 20 years later and finally getting a chance to do one of these with my own hands is what brought me to this place. The more info you all share the more I get to learn, so please feel free to speak your mind.

By the way, you've already convinced me into you doing it! lol! Those pics Sweet posted were exactly what I was imagining when you first mentioned a T-top for these. More of the T/A style way would be beautiful as well. Either way I think know you could pull it off... just trying to help convince you. clown

Here's a couple pic's I have at dusk when I was at my friends and got these with his neighbors Monte... I'll keep an eye out for the other picture I have since it was on a nice day with the roofs open on both of these and with a full view of both cars.

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20140310

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20140311

Since I am not looking at removing the frame I was thinking/hoping that I could get away with just adding a reinforcement plate along the frame under the door area and on the arches would be an adequate way to provide enough additional strength without boxing it completely in. What would your take be on this? I'm not planning on putting anything heavier than maybe a single sub and amp in the trunk if even that. However, if you think it would save me potential heartbreak in the future I'm up for the challenge.

Last edited by Gooched78Caprice on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit mistyping)
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Yea, I'm glad I kept the dice too!

Those Monte Carlo Aerocoupes are awesome!  I've always liked those and the Grand Prix version too!  Funny thing about those cars.  I remember back in the day when I had my first Caprice, a few used to try and tell me the back glass in the aerocoupes was the same (recycled glass) as in the 77-79 Caprice/Impala.  I'd always tell them no it's not and when you have them parked next to each other, you can clearly tell.  They are similar, but not the same. In fact, we have it easy since the rear window in our cars is installed exactly the same as the front windshield with same type of outer trim.  Those areocoupe guys with the Montes and Grand Prixs are in for a totally different install and a headache from what I've heard.  We can simply have our mobile windshield installer come out and put these in with no special weatherstripping or hidden screws.  However, finding a replacement window is a task. I picked up an extra for myself just in case.  I'd recommend you doing the same because you never know when you might need one and they are not made anymore.  It's real easy to get them out honestly.  If I ever see another one in the junk yard, I'll get it too.lol
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:06 pm

solo79 wrote:Yea, I'm glad I kept the dice too!

Those Monte Carlo Aerocoupes are awesome!  I've always liked those and the Grand Prix version too!  Funny thing about those cars.  I remember back in the day when I had my first Caprice, a few used to try and tell me the back glass in the aerocoupes was the same (recycled glass) as in the 77-79 Caprice/Impala.  I'd always tell them no it's not and when you have them parked next to each other, you can clearly tell.  They are similar, but not the same. In fact, we have it easy since the rear window in our cars is installed exactly the same as the front windshield with same type of outer trim.  Those areocoupe guys with the Montes and Grand Prixs are in for a totally different install and a headache from what I've heard.  We can simply have our mobile windshield installer come out and put these in with no special weatherstripping or hidden screws.  However, finding a replacement window is a task. I picked up an extra for myself just in case.  I'd recommend you doing the same because you never know when you might need one and they are not made anymore.  It's real easy to get them out honestly.  If I ever see another one in the junk yard, I'll get it too.lol

You can definitely tell with those pics that our glass looks WAY better than the bent glass in the 80's. I guess it's true that the sequel is never as good as the original, even if it is still pretty cool. I do appreciate the heads up on how much easier these are to replace. I've been dedicating as much attic space as necessary to have enough parts to replace each part 2 or 3 times if necessary. Maybe one day I can be the SS9 for the Left Coast parts searchers.

If I ever get this to where I am satisfied I want to do the mash car from all my favorite parts of all BBodies starting with buick dash, impala front clip, ? rearend, bucket seats or brougham seats and whatever I can find to make the perfect transfusion/conglomeration of parts. I am hoping maybe when I'm done with this one I'll have 80% of what I will need sitting in the attic whenever I can around to doing a second cars makeover. Smile
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof Empty What could be hiding in these?

Post  Gooched78Caprice Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Guess what arrived for Irene  bounce

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20150210

I believe we have received the Ridetech HQ shockwave front and Coolride rear setup. Everything is there except it was missing 1 90 degree fitting and there is a notice that the 2 bottom rear plates are on backorder. I was told by my local shop that it shouldn't be more than 2 weeks to get the plates.

A very big THANK YOU to SS9 for the NOS Impala front corners. They look incredible! Very Happy
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:36 pm

Dude! I'm all excited for you! I can't wait to see them going on!
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Sahweet!! cant wait to see those installed. if you want when you do install them, make a dedicated thread just for that on here.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:05 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Sahweet!! cant wait to see those installed. if you want when you do install them, make a dedicated thread just for that on here.

I was able to create a decent temporary mounting spot for the "brains" of the operation for the tank, compressors, Big Red Airvalve and the RidePro control panel. This all barely fit right behind the back seat on the elevated tray in the back of the trunk below the speakers. Unfortunately, it does make it so I cannot use the original hook mount for the spare tire.

I will be planning on moving a few of these parts around in a few months once I get ready to put in new carpet and clean up the interior. I want to keep everything functional like it was stock so you'd really have to look to notice this system. I am hoping to hide everything except the tank once I am done and that will be somewhat hidden behind the spare tire.

As soon as I start running lines and installing the suspension parts I will create a thread for the install. I am hoping to create one thread that will show the process to take away as much mystery as possible for the other BBody owners that might be looking at a similar project. For anyone that would like to chime in I'd appreciate any tips on possible places to run the air lines from the interior to the undercarriage with out drilling new holes, just using an existing spot if possible...Hopefully pics in day or two with "brains" in trunk. Can't wait to get this up and running!
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Gooched78Caprice wrote:<snip> Unfortunately, it does make it so I cannot use the original hook mount for the spare tire.

Bah, who needs a spare tire? Spare tires are for wussies! lol!
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:
    Gooched78Caprice wrote:<snip> Unfortunately, it does make it so I cannot use the original hook mount for the spare tire.

Bah, who needs a spare tire?  Spare tires are for wussies!  lol!

For now I'll have to agree…

This is the basic temporary set up for the next couple months.  Suspect

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof 20150212
    bgkid2966
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  bgkid2966 Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:12 am

That set up looks good! I am told the air ride is the way to go for comfort on the road. I have not been in a car with air yet. It is a possibility for my 78 although my primary use will have a lot to do with the direction it goes.

Geno

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:58 pm