GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown

Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Empty Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown

Post  Gooched78Caprice Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:56 pm

Is this for real? Unfortunately for me shipping to the NW is almost the same price as the $99 starting bid....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-1979-Chevy-Impala-Caprice-Rear-Center-Bumper-Filler-OEM-/162137967105?hash=item25c02d0a01:g:mLYAAOSw6WdXiaTj&vxp=mtr
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Empty Re: Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:10 pm

I don't think that's for a 77-90 B body
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Empty Re: Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown

Post  Gooched78Caprice Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:54 am

The way its curved is just like my 1978 Caprice, 7 openings on one side and two indentations on the other. It sure looks a lot like mine... just without the cracks or missing chunk of the end like mine.  Shocked  

The bumper fillers are specific to the 77-79 body styles. The 80-90 bumper fillers are a bit different from the late 70's. What makes you think it's not for the 77-79 Chevy B Body?

If I wasn't planning on sucking in my bumpers I'd been all over this gem for myself! Figured I'd share here and hopefully make someones day since it's the first nice one I've seen for sale. If it stays around the $100 buy price I might eat the $60+ shipping and find it a new home in my attic anyway. I guess I'll see in 5 days. pig
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 am

Gooched78Caprice wrote:The way its curved is just like my 1978 Caprice, 7 openings on one side and two indentations on the other. It sure looks a lot like mine... just without the cracks or missing chunk of the end like mine.  Shocked  

The bumper fillers are specific to the 77-79 body styles. The 80-90 bumper fillers are a bit different from the late 70's. What makes you think it's not for the 77-79 Chevy B Body?

If I wasn't planning on sucking in my bumpers I'd been all over this gem for myself! Figured I'd share here and hopefully make someones day since it's the first nice one I've seen for sale. If it stays around the $100 buy price I might eat the $60+ shipping and find it a new home in my attic anyway. I guess I'll see in 5 days. pig

Could you post pics of yours?  I've removed a LOT of bumpers over the years and I've never seen a filler like that.  They've (77-79s) all been made up from a metal strip with the silicon/rubber bonded to the top of it.  As the silicon/rubber decays. all that's left is the metal strip.  

I have a 77 I'm slowly taking apart.  The rear filler is still mostly there.  I'll try to take some pics of it and post them later today.

** I've been in contact with the seller trying to get a part number.  My guess is that it's from an 80-81, if a B body at all.  Or it's an aftermarket piece.  Hopefully they respond.

*** By the shape of it and because it's made from hard ABS plastic, I'm fairly sure it's not a factory piece for the 77-79 B bodies
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:19 pm

After further review...

As you stated, not close. Damn you evilbay and your mislabeling of parts!
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Well, this one has me baffled. The part that rises up (which would meet the tail panel/tail lights, doesn't even make sense for a box caprice or impala 77-90. I've looked at hundreds of photos of bumper fillers both front and rear for Caprice/Impala and couldn't find a single image that looked even remotely close to that. I'm not convinced it's even GM. Makes for a good mystery. I'm going to keep looking.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 pm

No response from the seller yet. If they were going to respond, they would have by now.

I didn't get the chance to get pics of the 77 today. If I get the chance, I'll try to do it tomorrow. At this point though they're probably not necessary.

Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:26 am

Now that I'm looking at it on a computer and not my phone, I noticed the sticker in one of the pics shows something like....

DIRECT __________
    11-21-1979 rear center bumper filler for 79 A 35"

Maybe if someone has a better screen than me they can make it out better.

Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:23 am

Gooched78Caprice wrote:Now that I'm looking at it on a computer and not my phone, I noticed the sticker in one of the pics shows something like....

DIRECT __________
    11-21-1979 rear center bumper filler for 79 A 35"

Maybe if someone has a better screen than me they can make it out better.

After the word Direct, it looks like "N.I."

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Captur10
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 am

OK, I think I have it figured out.  

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's for a 76-77 "A body".  
    “A-Body” cars include – Buick: Century, Regal. Chevrolet: Malibu and Laguna, Monte Carlo. Oldsmobile: Cutlass. Pontiac: LeMans and Grand Am, Grand Prix.

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Captur11
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:44 am

With your zoomed in pic I can see that's now a '74 A 35"

By consulting my handwriting expert and by looking at the 9 in 11-21-1979, it is round. The 4 in '74, has a sharp corner bringing my conclusion to it's a 4.

final hypothesis: pulled 11-21-1979 for a 1974 A body. Really, who knows?

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Gooched78Caprice on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change the 33)
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:52 pm

I did some more research and the 77-79 filler was used all the way up to 81!  I didn't know that!

Anyway, here's a couple pics -

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Img_2032

Last edited by Sweet Seventy9 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Mystery solved.  I think......

The seller responded with the number 20135710.  
    I searched and searched and couldn't find any info at all.  

Then it occurred to me - maybe it was a casting number!
    I did a quick search and came up with GM PN: 20142796

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Filler10

From there it was easy.  

Solid REAR bumper filler, EBAY 6 day countdown Filler11

It's for an 88 Cutlass Wagon. Or is it?

The piece of tape says 1979.... but the number actually ON the part is 20135710 - 1988

Maybe the piece of tape is wrong? I've mis-labeled my own stuff.

Thoughts?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:20 pm