GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse

tero78
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)

Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse Empty Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse

Post  tero78 Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:56 am

Hey guys,

I have a 78 Impala and did an engine swap to a stock 350. I changed the radiator and went with electric fans. I used Proform Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers 69598 and when I really get down on the engine it blows the inline fuse. If I cruise no problems at all. Can anybody help or had this problem?
    slimwud
    slimwud
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse Empty Re: Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse

Post  slimwud Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:43 pm

So my first guess is the voltage is possibly spiking under load. When you say get on it I imagine u spinning higher rpms if diodes are going in alternator u might be getting access current in system or voltage regulator is over charging. What size fuse are u using what the fans need and is wire correct size. Bad grounds can also lead to high current which will pop fuses. I would prolly ditch proform controller for a Hayden. Isn't proform a cheap brand controller.
    terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse Empty Electric fan

Post  terry cronk Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:23 pm

How big is your alternator?  I put a 105 in my car as per the 67 that was in it.  Plenty of juice even at lower speeds.

The request for more juice is when you have your foot in it and winding that engine up. More is needed to replace what's used.
    slimwud
    slimwud
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse Empty Re: Electric fans controller keeps blowing fuse

Post  slimwud Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:13 am

My alternator is 270 amp. I have about 4000 watt stereo system second battery in trunk 0ga wire power from front to back. 100 amps is a start but with lights and radio heater etc and the fans can easily go over 100. I would look into the cs144 big case alt they are big so they stay cool and are almost indestructible. If money is no object there is mechman alternators or mike singer alternators. I went with singer also got a overdrive pulley because he responded to my inquiry first. Back in the day I use to run 2 100 amp alternators. They are cheap to rebuild and get parts for plus if one died I had one to get me home no questions asked.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:58 am